SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian Hedonism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Thank you Chanin for your help on this. I appreciate also your personal testimony on this one...

2005/3/28 13:18

Re: Not 'good thinking' Robin!

Quote:
I am not at all sure, Mr Piper, "whether you CAN make words mean so many different things."

Please don't direct this at Mr. Piper. He is a Godly man (giant leaps ahead of me anyway!) and he deserves our respect.

I want to keep this discussion about Christian Hedonism NOT about Mr. Piper. Thank you.

Respectfully,

Stephen

2005/3/28 13:34
seekinggod

Fond du Lac, WI

Re: Christian Hedonism

Quote:
I know almost nothing about it but i understand that it says that we should be motivated by pleasure (pleasure in God).

I think that pleasure isn't the sole motication. Listen to some of John Piper's sermons, and I think you will finmd out that he has his head on straight. His most recent 2 on wrath are awesome.

There is nothing wrong with finding joy in the Lord, but joy should never become our idol. Soem people worship spiritual experiences above God. Slippery slope, this sinful nature.

2005/4/2 14:50Profile
tramsek

Re: Christian Hedonism

please look at[url=www.thefaithfulword.org]Christian Hedonism debunked[/url] for some great articles that expose Piper's philosophy. Also see this thread [url=http://forum.desiringgod.org.uk/topic.asp?whichpage=-1&TOPIC_ID=1067&REPLY_ID=12248]Piper is calling good evil[/url] for a great discussion.

2005/4/14 5:06Profile
dohzman

Re: Launguage

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but even I understand that there are rules to english grammer and oratory. I understand what Mr. Piper meant but the adjective he used was a poor choice of words (Col4:6). It seems, especially in the big ministries, that the plain gospel and teachings of the Word of God isn't enough anymore, it needs spruced up somehow. I think we forget that its still the cross and that its the Holy Spirit's job to convict, draw, exhort ect.....The fact that one word could cause such contravesy leads me to ask , "did he use wisdom in his selection of word topics"? James3:17-18 You judge for yourself, measure it against the word of God and the fruit of wisdom and the effects it seems to be having on not only this board but those around the country.

2005/4/14 7:57Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Please don't direct this at Mr. Piper. He is a Godly man (giant leaps ahead of me anyway!) and he deserves our respect.

Stephen, I meant no disrespect to Mr Piper. It was intended as a humourous misquote of Lewis Carol's Alice in her questioning Humpty Dumpty!

2005/4/15 4:49Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with finding joy in the Lord, but joy should never become our idol. Soem people worship spiritual experiences above God. Slippery slope, this sinful nature.

the joy of the Lord is my strength. I am not resisting the 'finding of joy in the Lord', but I am questioning if we can ever use the word 'hedonism' of such a discovery. I am not even sure that we should be 'seeking' joy in the Lord. I am quite sure that I should not be seeking it as the ultimate purpose of life, which is what 'hedonism' means.

2005/4/15 4:52Profile

Re:

The bible says that He inhabits the praises of His people. It also says that in His presence there is fullness of joy, and that the joy of the Lord is our strength.

Want to be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might? Just begin to praise Him, praise Him, Praise Him. You'll get the joy, the peace, the rest and all that He is, regardless of circumstances or events. Alleluia.

2005/4/15 9:31

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy