SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Where have all the good churches gone?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:
Do you really believe that everyone has the authority to just start a church?

If you were the last Christian on earth, what would you do?

Seeing then that this essentially how "reformer" and few others on this forum feels, that there are essentially no churches of which they can attend in their locality due to reasons x, y, and z, then they most certainly have this "authority," and if what they say is indeed fact, then I cannot hope but feel that they are obligated to do so. The fact that they never do is indicative of deep psychological and spiritual problems in their lives, and this should not be taken lightly.

If what they say is true and they don't start a church in their locality, then I cannot take their laments, some of which have been several years in the making, in any way serious. Their public laments on Sermon Index, and general lack of corresponding action in real life, is a terrible form of narcissism. Many make such posts on forums like this because they will receive the occasional amen. So they keep making them over and over again, and feeling all the more spiritual for doing so. They like to be liked, so they come on here to be liked. And some even go so far as, whenever Greg hosts his conferences, to flock to such in order to further be seen and heard and reaffirmed in such a manner. The one conference I went to, as blessed as I was to fellowship with many truly awesome brethren, I could not help but notice some of the people who were practically screaming for attention and trying to put themselves into positions of prominence. They had motives beyond just coming to be refreshed and renewed.

If what "reformer" is saying is true, then my question would simply be this: What would Leonard Ravenhill do if he were in your situation? Can you really imagine Leonard Ravenhill banging away on his keyboard, logging hundreds and thousands of posts on Sermon Index, lamenting the spiritual conditions of the "church" around him leaving him no place to go for fellowship?

People need to stop playing prophet.

2013/9/17 7:38Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Here's an idea for some of us. Instead of beating on God's sheep for not being able, in good conscience, to fellowship in apostate churches, how about we pray for them and encourage them in the Lord? How about we pray that God would send one or two Christians their way with whom they could fellowship?

2013/9/17 9:33Profile
roadsign

Re: Enter into God's JOY

We can easily get bogged down in this “slough of dependency” over the modern church, but the Lord is rejoicing because people are entering his kingdom. I post two BBC documentaries about Amish turning to Christ. Note that BBC has no desire to profess Christ –but they are doing it in spite of themselves. We agree with Paul: “the important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I REJOICE. Yes, I will continue to REJOICE.” Phil 1:18

If you belong to the Lord, you will find yourselves entering His JOY as you watch these videos. And you will also find yourselves seeing beyond the suffering and rejoicing with the joy of these people:

A Secret Life http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtNXvE_rLoE

Trouble in Amish Paradise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp_dWkwwyT4

Note, these titles were created by those who have not entered into His joy, or they’d make titles like: “Joy in Amish Country!” “Amish find the Joy of the Lord!”
-----------------------------------------
Slithering around in the slough of despondency can feel quite self-righteous. But it is a place of defilement. When we invite others into the bog, they become defiled too. This is NOT our calling! In fact, this is rebellion against the Lord’s commands, and it is a rejection of what he has given us through his death and resurrection. Christ died that we may enter into his JOY - that our JOY may be complete, full. (see Jn 15:10-12)

Let’s admit, there is far more cause to REJOICE in our day than there was in Paul’s day – because the kingdom of heaven has grown much since then! We, like the psalmists, can REJOICE in a covenant keeping God and the indisputable fact that he is fulfilling his promises – no matter how dark we feel.

A prayer for us all:
May we “enter the joy of the master” Matt. 25:23
May we “Rejoice in the Lord” who relentlessly loves humanity, who forgives and restores sinners- and who REJOICES over every lost sinner who is reconciled to him.

From these videos you can see that God’s JOY within is infectious!
It’s our testimony.

Diane

2013/9/17 9:46Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

There is no value in encouraging people to stay in a "system" that is entirely flesh-focused and almost entirely apostate. There is not one single phrase in the New Testament that would indicate we are to stay with such a group. Jesus says, "I wish that you were hot or cold." If you truly are hot--HOT!--then perhaps you could stay in such a church and either you would ignite others or they would throw you out fast. But for most Christians, only stay if there are people there that truly love Christ and are seeking to stay on the highway of holiness. Otherwise, go out but don't stay alone. I'll say it again: Don't Stay Alone! You will get as lukewarm as all the rest. Believe me, I have tried it before. Do whatever it takes to connect with some godly people. Drive to another state once a month and stay overnight with some saints and spend all of your free time telling people in your area about the Lord. God will keep you alive then. We tried both ways. One is death, the other is life. And always be willing to move.

2013/10/1 20:35Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Quote:
If you have a problem with the local churches available in your area, then do something besides grumble about it self righteously online. If everything around you is dead then God has called you to raise those to life around you and to start a church. If you don't or can't, then you are probably what the apostle referred to as "doubly dead."

If you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem. Stop playing prophet online and go change some lives already.

I totally agree with this, brother!

Sounds a little different than what you posted earlier.

2013/10/1 20:37Profile
onemite

Re:

Well this thread is certainly encouraging! :) I'm not being sarcastic. I really find it encouraging to know that it's not only me who is struggling to find a church in my city.

I have often wondered if the "good churches are gone" or if I have just matured a bit as a Christian, and can now see more error than I use to.
I have sat in church services hungry to just sing to the Lord amid others who loved Him, but become overcome by the feeling of being caught up in a heartwarming television Christmas Special, indulging in a nostalgic sing-a-long without really worshiping the God of the bible.

Whether I am becoming aware of the condition of the institution called church or cynicism in my heart, I believe it is a work of God calling me to something deeper. He calls me out of all that is not of Himself. God is refining me as He is all of His children.
May we all answer His call with boldness and humility. May we learn to be patient with those who we don't agree with, and pray the Lord give us wisdom to keep the balance to know what and how much error to bear with and when to separate all while keeping a pure heart.
I'm sorry that so many of you, like myself, are not finding a church devoted to Jesus, but I do know that God is able.
He is able to bring us together for fellowship. We may have to wait and we may have to pray. We may have to let Him have His way in our own hearts before it happens but I am certain that the Church belongs to God. Just as He was able to bring the Israelites together from where they were scattered, He is able to raise up a purified people who honor His Name and He is able to bring us scattered ones into fellowship with one another.

2013/10/2 2:32Profile
proudpapa

Re:

RE: ///I've not been in the forum much the last couple years. But it concerns me that though I've not, I see some of the same old broken records playing. It's sad really. If you have a problem with the local churches available in your area, then do something besides grumble about it self righteously online. If everything around you is dead then God has called you to raise those to life around you and to start a church. If you don't or can't, then you are probably what the apostle referred to as "doubly dead."

If you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem. Stop playing prophet online and go change some lives already.///

This needs to be placed on the great quotes list.

2013/10/2 8:09Profile

Re:

If you can't find fellowship, make it! Lead someone to Christ and begin your fellowship with them. Strengthen and encourage the weak and faltering and enjoy fellowship with them.

What you are failing to understand Reformer is that God does not deliver to you on a silver platter an "Ephesus like" fellowship (they were chastised for leaving their first love, by the way). But God, wants to work through you and me to extend His kingdom. We are not down here to necessarily be in a great fellowship, but rather to do His will (and fellowship with Him). If you open your eyes and notice the person on your right and left everyday, you will have plenty of opportunity to "do His will" and in doing His will, you will come into fellowship.

2013/10/2 10:47
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re:

Just-in stated

Quote:
If you can't find fellowship, make it! Lead someone to Christ and begin your fellowship with them. Strengthen and encourage the weak and faltering and enjoy fellowship with them.

What you are failing to understand Reformer is that God does not deliver to you on a silver platter an "Ephesus like" fellowship (they were chastised for leaving their first love, by the way).

and KingJimmy this

Quote:
Their public laments on Sermon Index, and general lack of corresponding action in real life, is a terrible form of narcissism. Many make such posts on forums like this because they will receive the occasional amen. So they keep making them over and over again, and feeling all the more spiritual for doing so. They like to be liked, so they come on here to be liked. And some even go so far as, whenever Greg hosts his conferences, to flock to such in order to further be seen and heard and reaffirmed in such a manner. The one conference I went to, as blessed as I was to fellowship with many truly awesome brethren, I could not help but notice some of the people who were practically screaming for attention and trying to put themselves into positions of prominence. They had motives beyond just coming to be refreshed and renewed.

and
Quote:
If you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem. Stop playing prophet online and go change some lives already.

Agreed guys.

I have noticed exactly the same things. Some folks never getting out of the ditch and continuing to wallow there year, after year, after year, after year.

No shame in a person falling in a ditch. Life happens to everyone. However, staying there is for years IS the fault of the person refusing to leave it.

If you can't find a church that lives up to your expectations then I suppose you could take comfort from the fact that you would not be able to fellowship in any of the churches Paul founded. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?

MANY POSTERS ON SI COULD NEVER FELLOWSHIP IN THE NEW TESTAMENT CHURCHES PAUL FOUNDED!

Read Revelations chapters 2 & 3. Some who posted on this thread would immediately leave those churches as "apostate". They aren't perfect but neither are you darling!

Jesus called those churches "golden". They had issues to fix... because there were people like you in them! If you have people you have problems until we are all in the next world.

Quit whining about how bad you have it. Get your eyes off yourself. Go and make a difference in peoples lives!

I know some think that sounds unloving. However, it is not loving to leave folks in a ditch!

2013/10/2 12:39Profile

Re:

Yes, Solomon. We need to realize those who are not sick do not need a Physician. So, we can denigrate the sick or bring the Doctor to them. Our choice. Never seen a doctor withhold care from a patient and just scold them.

2013/10/2 12:44

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy