SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : A purpose-driven author speaks his piece

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 A purpose-driven author speaks his piece

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

The Rev. Rick Warren said Tuesday that he prays and reads the Bible daily over the phone with Ashley Smith, the Atlanta woman who says his inspirational handbook The Purpose-Driven Life helped her persuade the murder suspect who held her hostage to let her go.

"As soon as I heard about this, we were in touch by e-mail, and now we are in regular pastoral conversation," Warren said. "We talk every day about verses of the Bible and pray together, and I encourage her." (Related excerpt: The Purpose-Driven Life)

Tuesday was the first time the headliner pastor, possibly the best-known evangelical in the nation after the Rev. Billy Graham, has spoken with media since the incident 10 days ago. The Purpose-Driven Life was the top-selling book in the nation in 2003 and 2004, according to Publishers Weekly, and Thursday it will be listed as No. 1 on USA TODAY's Best-Selling Books list.

But Warren steered any credit back to God and the Bible. "There's not a single new thought in Purpose-Driven Life that hasn't been said in historic Christianity or Judaism. I'm just a communicator for the 21st century."

Warren also said that the courts should order a feeding tube restored to Terri Schiavo, the brain-damaged Florida woman whose parents and husband are battling over whether she should be allowed to die. "She's alive and breathing, so God wants her to live for a purpose, even if that purpose is lived out through other people."

2005/3/23 17:36Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy