SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : understanding verse

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

understanding verse

Proverbs 18:21 NKJV

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit.

______
Could some help me with understanding this verse?

Thank you
God bless
Maryjane

2013/9/3 22:52Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: understanding verse

So many posters, so much reluctance to dive in to this one...!

Sometimes we just have to prove out the truth of scripture the hard way, charging into situations about which we know nothing, tongues flapping at full speed. Been there, done that.

As James notes in chapters 1 and 3 in his epistle, the tongue is a fire able to set in motion a blaze of destruction. And yet it is by the tongue that a wise person can give encouragement to the down-trodden, a blessing to the lonely, counsel to the confused, joy to the melancholy. Not to mention the words of gospel life to the lost.

The practice of tongue control, when learned either the hard or easier way, will certainly bring the sweet taste of fruit to the mouth of that person. Even here on SI, our fingers on the keys are the "tongues" of our hearts, and we need to take precautions.

Does what I am posting have potential to hurt the innocent? Is it my role to blast perceived arrogance in another poster's thoughts? Are my heart and fingers rooted in the wisdom of Christ?

Death and life truly lurk behind the tongue. Solomon be one smart dude...

2013/9/4 11:24Profile

Re:

James 3

Taming the Tongue

My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.

True Wisdom from Above

Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

2013/9/4 17:54
MaryJane

Re:

Thank you for the replies. I will continue to pray on this.

God bless
maryjane

2013/9/4 20:45Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Taming the tongue

Absolutely none of my business, but I love seeing how you describe where you live, Mary Jane! "A small house with many people."

Looks like a fabulous place to practice taming a tongue...!

2013/9/4 23:35Profile
Sree

Re: understanding verse

Quote:
Death and life are in the power of the tongue

I got reminded of the verse (Hebrews 3-13)-'Encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “Today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin'.
With out tongue we can either bring down someone or we can bless them by encouraging them. This is a ministry that we have all received to encourage believers so that their hearts will not be hardened towards the living God.

Quote:
And those who love it will eat its fruit

Those who love using their tongue to bring down someone (by Gossip or false complaints) leading to spiritual death of others will also end up spiritually dead. Those who love using tongue to encourage others will end up being encouraged.

I have personally found it in my life, there are times when the spirit will prompt me to share a word with a fellow believer, when I do it, it blesses me personally. Also the words that I share standing in pulpit will also encourage me. God's word is always a double edged sword, it will pears the hearts of both speaker and hearer.

2013/9/5 4:21Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy