SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Website loading problems

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Website loading problems

For the past few days I have had problems with SI website loading very slowly and sometimes not at all.
Is this a problem known about? I don't think it is just me.

2013/9/3 15:45Profile

Re: Website loading problems

No, its not just you. My guess is that SI has done something to check browsers using its site in order to cut down on mischievous people. If it is not SI then they must be as frustrated as their user community.

2013/9/3 15:48
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Yes brother, I've been having the same problem. I use Chrome and IE and they both give me the same issue with SI.

2013/9/3 15:52Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Saints,

We appreciate your prayers in this regard. We have been doing much work to try and rectify this problem. It seems it is a problem with our host primarily and it has been very hard to solve. We are considering moving to another server yet again! Thank you for your support and prayers. As SermonIndex does reach many with the Gospel of Jesus Christ through primarily free mp3 downloads of classic sermons.

Virtually every month almost every nation in the world accesses these sermons. May God preserve this testimony for His Name sake and continue to allow these messages to be shared.

We are looking for extra hosting space 200 gigs on various servers to continue to mirror the mp3 sermons. If you have a hosting account that you will be keeping for a long time, please let us know: [email protected]

What you would need to do is simply create a subdomain such as: media.yourdomain.com and then give us access to that subdomain to upload the mp3 sermons.

2013/9/3 15:55Profile
dohzman

several things, since IPv6 is becoming such an issue in the middle east/uk/china and for that matter the rest of the world outside the us and canada, security in most server systems(US based) is getting really hard to maintain. However since SI does not allow for uploading files it should not be that difficult for any host service to handle. My suggestion is that you split the sermon download files and the streaming into 2 different locations, maybe utilize different alternate sites for your streaming and have a site used just for downloading. Even if that means using a tag in the .net to put users on a completely different site for those 2 functions. Your forum should be no security threat at all either to any server as no real files are being uploaded. You may have to simply request that the patrons of this site only download and play the media at their own leisure as apposed to streaming them from this site. Saying that I do realize that in many parts of the world, downloading those files could put believers at risk, it would than have to be understood by those of us who are in a free country that in order to help our brethren in such places we would be willing to download, instead of streaming, which should bring the necessary relief to the server over load. You may want to ask the server admins what the streaming load is from your site, they can tell very detailed specifics if asked.

2013/9/3 22:50Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

OK thanks. I don't understand all the techno speak, but see you are onto it. Glad to hear the site is being used so extensively.
Thanks for all your work!

2013/9/4 4:40Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Even if that means using a tag in the .net to put users on a completely different site for those 2 functions.

Dear Brother, tremendous thoughts thank you for expressing them. We are looking for saints who have and are running their own servers or shared hosting to allow us to upload some of the media content to use it as a distribution.

So if you have a shared hosting account that you will be keeping for awhile you can create a subdomain on it such as sermonindex.yourdomain.com and then give us the login SSH / FTP access with username and password. It is recommended you setup a new USER with full server access for us to do this.

2013/9/4 12:07Profile

Re:

Performance is greatly improved, today.

2013/9/4 13:20

Re:

Though performance is better, I went ahead and ran Httpwatch against your website. It is a client program and does not add any overhead to your website or impede others who are using it. Httpwatch creates a report of all requests and the timings of each request that take place when a visitor presses enter on their keyboard to go to your site or if they are at your site, to move around from link to link. It is basically a "sniffer" that will provide insights into how your website loads and performs.

Test Case #1

Clear Cache and Cookies
Go to your site from another site.
Total time to display the SermonIndex page: 10.224 seconds.
Total Wait Time: 1.211 secs
Send Time: 1.209 secs
Receive Time: 1.746 secs
TTFB (time to first byte): 1.209 secs
Network: 1.209 secs
Total Blocked time: 3.139 seconds.

There are some other times that I have not listed.

I am using a DSL line with 18mbit download speed. So, it is a pretty fast connection.

I noticed that Google is very busy in the background and the majority of requests are Google requests (analytics, search api, css).

First time is slow after clearing cache and cookies. Second and subsequent times in are 4 to 5 seconds.

Once in, Google pretty much takes over. Google doubleclick, Google User Content, Google Syndication, Google Page Ad and Google Analytics are the bulk of the request time when a person hits the enter key.

I realize you are probably making some revenue from Google but you may not have realized the overhead that they bring.

And the other things that they bring:

Look here -->
http://moz.com/blog/the-evil-side-of-google-exploring-googles-user-data-collection

Httpwatch basic is free and you can go to http://www.httpwatch.com/

Httpwatch Professional is not free.

2013/9/4 15:58

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy