SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : And History Repeats

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

And History Repeats

As I woke up to the sound of war drums beating loudly regarding Syria I was reminded of a line out of the movie Troy. "Old men make war and young nen die.". I was also reminded of Mathew 24 in which Jesus said nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom. Though this is prophesied. It will be little comfort for the innocent lives that will be lost in a US initiated conflict. Lives piled up on the countless lives already lost in the Syrian conflict.

I see another US President who reminds so much of a previous President not so long ago who defied world opinion and lauched a military strike into Iraq. Over so called weapons of mass destruction that were never found. And the only real justification this President could give for the Iraq invasion was "They tried to kill my daddy". How many dads and mons were killed in Iraq because of this President's ego?

While the use of chemical weapons is not denied in the tragic killings that were discovered in Syria a few days ago. The question of who initiated this attack is not clear. The Western media is quick to tell us it was Assad who initiated the attacks. But this is the sane media who says a democratically Mohammed Morsey was ousted in Egypt by a military take over. Forgetting several million Egyptians demanded the Egyptian military do something to check the slide of Egypt into Islamic sharia. The Western media conveniently ignores this. So can one believe anything, even what Fox News says, regarding Syria?

NATO and the US have said they do not need to hear the report of the UN inspectors to launch a military strike into Syria. They know it is Assad. Based on what, I ask? Also who gave Syria those chemical weapons? The chemical weapons that Saddham Hassan used in Iraq came from the US. A fact conveniently overlooked by many

Another thread posted a report by Wesley Clark saying these wars are planned. One cannot help but wonder. But I must realize that Gid is in control. But dear saints be prepared to weep over more lives that will be lost. And pray that some will find hope in Jesus through the gospel.

From the bear den.

Bearmaster.

2013/8/29 8:15
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: And History Repeats

The ' God is in control' Mantra. What exactly does that mean in the end? Christians use this line so much as if to say they will be ok and the world will be ok because 'God is in control'. People are dying and will continue to die whether or not the U.S. makes a strike in this situation even if God is in control. It happened in the old testament. So often I detect this line to be used like a little one holding on to their teddy bear. The teddy bear is just 'being' but it is the psychological method of the bear that keeps a kid thinking he is ok. It is a familiar thing.
I often think that is how the line 'God is in control' is used in so many situations. It becomes a teddy bear for our own psychological trip.

John

2013/8/29 8:47Profile

Re:

And John I ask you or anyone in this forum. If God is not in control who is? Do we give in to cynavism? Been there. Done that. Where does our hope lie? Again I ask you or anyone in this forum where does our hope lie?

What hope sustains the oersecuted church in N. Korea or Eritrea or Samolia? That God is in control. If they had not that hope then the evil one would for sure triumph over the saints.

But to say that God is in control does not mean we glibbly skip over the heart ache that ensues from tragedy. We weep with those affected by tragedy. We want others to weep with us when we are affected by tragedy.

Indeed when a love one has been taken home to be with Christ one had better hope that God is in control. Otherwise where is one's hope. Yes, there is heartache and sorrow. But the hope that God is in control. As the line if the hymn says, "That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet,"

My thoughts.

Bearmaster.

2013/8/29 9:07
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Bearmaster

What I am referring to is when a person says 'God is in control' what exactly are they saying in that? Is it just a peaceful feeling so you can relax because God is going to take care of everything? Whatever happens it is because God is control? Assad throws a nuclear bomb and destroys half of Syria but it is ok because God is in control. The what if scenario's. Yet, what does it do to you to say that slogan?

My POV, there is a crisis of values and personal power going on here and probably a war of powers in heavenly realms and as a result people are going to get hurt and die while others escape. The moving of the heavens will probably dictate the movement of every side involved in this conflict. Intercession is then needed but then how many people does it take for God to move to end this conflict?

John

John

2013/8/29 9:20Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Who is in control?

Separating the two ideas of "in control" and "rightful ownership," I would suggest that God is a rightful owner, but that Man is in control.

To suggest that "God is in control" of the way the world operates would be an unfathomable insult to His wise and loving charachter. The world is in a mess because of the actions of rebellious men seeking their own selfish ends, not because Almighty God is a fumble fingered manager who doesn't know what He is doing. How foolish to try and put God in that place!

But the sweet and wonderful truth is, He will move mighty mountains in response to the pleas of His children. Like James says, "You don't have because you don't ask."

The affairs of this world are subject to the working of the mighty power of God connected to the faith of His servants, and that is where the control is.

WW2 had just begun, and England was being bombed in preparation for invasion by German troops. I believe it was Reese Howell who had a vision of the Nazi armies collapsing in chaos. He asked God, "When will this happen?"
"When you pray it into reality," God answered.

Whereupon the man planted his knees for the next four years and "took control."

To wonder why God isn't working is the foolish thought of a man who does not know to pray.

2013/8/30 11:40Profile

Re: DEADn

John you asked how many people does it take for God to move to end the Syrian conflict. At least one as James tells us the prayers of a righteous nan our powerful and effective. Two ibtercessors would be better as Jesus said if two agree on earth about something then it will be done for them by the Father in heaven.

But then where are the intercessors to move God to change history?

Bearmaster.

2013/8/30 15:08

Re: Sidewslk

Brother I I will be the first to admit to you that I do not know how to pray. At least compared to a Reece Howell. But then who is. At least God has allowed tbis foolish nan in his weak earthen vessel to facilitate a national prayer call where we have been praying for Him to move in the persecuted nations going into our fourth year.

I do agree that the Syrian conflict is ultimatelky a spiritual battle to be waged on our knees. Last njght a team of us were asking Gid to restrain the madness of nen who desired war in their hearts and for peace to prevail in that region. We were praying for the preservation of life to enable the gospel.

Please do not take my statement to say God is in control to imply a Cakvinistic casera sera whatever will be will be. The future is not ours to see. I do believe the prayers of the righteous can impact the eternal destiny of nations. If I did not belueve this then I would stand down from praying for God to move among the persecuted nations.

Yes, we have not because we ask not. And I am all for asking God to change the course of history to make it His Story. But as oone thread posted earlier, such intercessors are an endangered specis. But I will still call out for the nations.

Bearmaster.

2013/8/30 15:28

Re:

I think when some people say "God is in control", they are saying that though this situation is out of my control, I trust the Lord and will be content in Him no matter the outcome. The outcome will not take God by surprise and He can redeem everything. Even if things look bad by "sight", He can redeem it and bring His will to pass.

Kind of reminds me of this:

Dan 3:17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
Dan 3:18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.

or this:

Est_8:7 Then the king Ahasuerus said unto Esther the queen and to Mordecai the Jew, Behold, I have given Esther the house of Haman, and him they have hanged upon the gallows, because he laid his hand upon the Jews.

2013/8/30 15:41
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Praying in the gift you have

Jesus often went out to pray, alone. And yet, the world did not wiggle its way into perfection even though the very Son of God was on the earth making His petitions and laying out his requests. Apparently Peter was spared some very uncomfortable sifting as the direct result of Jesus prayer, but we don't really know much of the content of Jesus' private prayer sessions.

Prayer that is forced or regulated into a chore doesn't work for me. I don't have a "regular" prayer time, but I cannot help but to be in some level of prayer all day. My love for Him, my belief in His constant presence, just keeps me chatting away as I do other stuff all day.

I am probably the worst one to give counsel on prayer, but I believe in this power with everything within me. Since I strongly disagree with our current President, my prayer for him in obedience to the Timothy challenge goes mostly along the lines of "Fix him or take him out." I am sure this is a common Christian prayer for world leaders of every stripe in every country.

But the bottom line in this kind of prayer for global concerns is that we are in a spiritual battle with spiritual weapons, and distance is not an obstacle for us. It is a comfort to me that we are not commanded to win, just to fight.

And while we're at it, be sure to give mention in your global prayers that God deal quickly with the Murderer of Pyongyang in North Korea. This is the poster boy for incarnate evil, the vision of The Great Tribulation if there ever was one!

2013/8/30 21:01Profile

Re:

Yeah, God dealt quickly with the murderer of Jews, He saved Paul. Let's pray He saves the North Korean leader too, as a testimony to His great love and power.

Lord, we lift up the leader of North Korea and pray that he would come to the true knowledge of You and bow his knee before you. Lord, give him the courage to turn away from everything that is not of you, turning to you with all his heart.

Thank you for saving us and giving us a new heart where once an evil heart lived.

2013/8/31 0:19

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy