SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Teen kills 9 at Minnesota high school

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Teen kills 9 at Minnesota high school

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

BEMIDJI, Minn. - This small community was in shock Tuesday after a teenager killed his grandfather and his grandfather's girlfriend and then shot dead seven people at the local high school, reportedly grinning, waving and even asking one victim if he believed in God.

The teenager, identified as Jeff Weise, apparently killed himself after exchanging gunfire with police. At least 14 other students and teachers at Red Lake High School were wounded in the nation’s worst school shooting since the Columbine massacre in 1999 that killed 13 people.

No motive has been established but some students reportedly said Weise was fascinated by neo-Nazism and was angry that he was being turned in for earlier death threats.

One student told a local television station that he had spoken a year ago of wanting to “shoot up the school.”

2005/3/22 14:04Profile

Re: Teen kills 9 at Minnesota high school

Washington, DC (March 22, 2005) The National Indian Health Board (NIHB) is deeply saddened by yesterday’s tragedy at Red Lake Chippewa Nation. “We stand in unity with the entire Red Lake community and offer our deepest sympathy to Tribal members and all of those impacted. Such deeply unfortunate events give witness to nationwide statistics that demonstrate the tremendous need to increase our prevention efforts,” says Sally Smith, NIHB Chairman. While history shows that shootings can occur in any community, the significant disparities in available prevention funding are contributing to a growing epidemic; American Indians and Alaska Natives suffer from 70% higher suicide and more than double homicide rates, compared with non-Indian populations.

I've been to this reservation and worked with the Chippewa on reservation economic development. This is a terrible tragedy, but is not completely unexpected as when troubled youth and gun culture come together there's bound to be trouble. Let's pray for not only the survivors, but also for the boy, Jeff Weise.

Bubbaguy

2005/3/22 14:54
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Not to be rude or inconsiderate but, why pray for the boy if he committed suicide? I understand praying for the survivors and the boys family. But I'm just wondering why pray for the boy, since he is dead? Or did I misunderstand the original article?

2005/3/22 16:50Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

You know preach, I don't think we can do anything for that kid.

2005/3/24 21:05Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy