SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why is Worldly music(not lyrics) so much better than Christian music?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I guess it depends on whether by the term reverential you are referring to a particular stylistic genre of music. There was a time when the church rejected Watts hymns as too great a departure from the great hymns of the faith. It is possible, I guess, for there too be a sort of anointing of one type or another on a particular artist's music. But it is impossible to determine that a particular music style is either Godly or worldly. By analogy, suppose we took that stance where painting is concerned. suppose we deemed pointalism worldly because our is really just a lot of dots on the page and by viewing it very closely one could not make head or tails of the picture. Yet we viewers photo realism as Godly because the details of the picture are maintained regardless of vantage point. We don't view current visual art styles as good or evil, but we do judge the content of the artists work and the motive behind his work as good or evil.

If by reverential we mean that which glorifies God, independent of style, then why should Christian music be any worse. I contend that the reason why the world doors not like Christian music is the object of the music, bringing glory to God.

2013/8/1 21:44Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

music by its very nature is emotional, no matter the style.

2013/8/1 21:45Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

music by its very nature is emotional, no matter the style.

Agreed. The point that I was trying to make is to keep music in check so that we do not take the total emotional route that the worldy music has taken. To me in a Christian song music is only to glorify the lyric, to add some effect to the lyric but not to dominate the lyric or add a different emotion to it.

My conclusion is wordly music has its own purpose and Christian music has its own. There is no need to compare one another. There is no need for Christian music to be influenced by world. But unforturnately it cannot be prevented.

2013/8/2 0:52Profile
brothagary

Re:

I think the very nature and intent of worldy music is to put a spell on its hearers ,it comes from the flesh and is designed by satan ,the prince and power of the air to deceive and manipulate and provoke the flesh ,and cause addiction,

a douctumentry worth watching called they sold there souls for rock and role is worth the watching ,I think it took 20 years to compile and speaks of the satanic nature of music iv only seen part 1 and part 4 ,,has a good gospel message woven in to the movie

much bible is quoted in this film and constant references as seen through the film ,and many testamonys from stanists and musician's reveal the power behind sound of music

blessings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoBfpP4pMRk

2013/8/2 5:24Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Why is Worldly music(not lyrics) so much better than Christian music?

Quote:
staff wrote:
I am going to be blunt here and wonder why worldly music on the whole is so much better than Christian music.Music written for worldly songs is much better than music for Christian songs.God obviously likes the music that honours him,that's not in question or his opinion on worldly music.
I have been thinking about it and wonder is it that we have such a narrow subject matter or is it that the world has such a higher amount of musicians.Is it that the world has more full time musicians?

I don't have a clue and do not know if I can answer your questions but I've wondered this as well b/c my oldest son is a musician and if the Christian music might actually have challenged him, he might have been interested in playing it when he was younger and played in a church band.

I know, I know that the christian songs are NOT about the music but about Christ but to musicians before they are converted... IT IS about the music!!!

My son (23) plays upright bass / bass guitar and has for 10 years and musically he has no respect for christian music whatsoever; he says he can walk into any church, listen for a minute and play any song because they only have 3 or 4 chords (for bass).

I know Christ can reach down and convert anyone, it doesn't take music but that wasn't the question that staff asked and I was trying to give a perspective from my experience.

God bless you brother!
Lisa

2013/8/2 5:42Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

I removed this song lyrics because as Staff said this thread wasn't about lyrics but about music.

God bless,
Lisa

2013/8/2 5:54Profile
Renoncer

Re: Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music?

Okay, let's pause and think about this BIBLICALLY.

When someone says that WORLDLY music is better than CHRISTIAN music, that raises serious concerns. What is that person looking for exactly?

If you are looking for something that will simply stir up the emotions, then go to a U2 concern, or an Opera performance, or a concert under the direction of André Rieu.

On the other hand, the Bible tells us what should be the purpose of CHRISTIAN music, that is, in a WORSHIP context: Colossians 3:16 - LET THE WORD OF CHRIST DWELL IN YOU RICHLY... Do you see? The purpose of singing Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs in worship is to let the Word of Christ dwell in us richly, the same purpose than teaching and admonishing one another. But, notice how it should not remain at the superficial level; it should go to the heart.

So, if your concern is to let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly, then your primary concern will be about the words being used, and the focus (mind, heart, and emotions) of the entire experience.

You can have really good words, but a "worship leader" that takes the attention away from Christ to himself.

So, who cares what is the style of the song, or the level of performance, or the flashy gadgets... You REALLY SHOULDN'T CARE about that.
RATHER, you should care more about LETTING THE WORD OF CHRIST DWELL IN YOU RICHLY. That should be the standard whereby you JUDGE whether the song was good or not (at least, in the context of WORSHIP).

I pray that God would glorify His Name by bringing the focus of worship back to His Son, Jesus Christ.

In Christ,
Renoncer

2013/8/2 11:37Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

twayneb wrote:

"I contend that the reason why the world doors not like Christian music is the object of the music, bringing glory to God."

the world does like some christian music-- "hanging by a moment" by Lifehouse and "I can only imagine" by mercyme were cross-over hits between christian and secular radio. I also think that part of the reason is that these songs were both pretty good.

But it is also true that both songs could be construed as "love songs" and not only as worship songs.

2013/8/2 15:50Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
So, who cares what is the style of the song, or the level of performance…

God does.
Malachi 1:8

2013/8/2 18:27Profile
roadsign

Re:

I am posting some lyrics written by a highschool student as part of her music course requirement. On my request she performed her song for me.

As you read these lyrics are you more concerned about the song's acceptability than the girl's heart cry? Do you find yourself weeping for her and the multitude of youth she represents, or are you standing back like the older brother in Rembrandt's painting of the Prodigal son - tall and rigid, unfeeling, condemning, and emotionally distant. Music is not just about moral correctness but about what its creator is trying to express through the medium of music.

By the way, this is a top student, the kind of teen any parent would crave to have. But look what's under the smiling exterior. How would we have known?

I'm just a package of things
Tied up with intentions
Excuses and dreams
Filling up my dimensions

Hard work and defeat
Width by length by height
I've been squaring my seams
Trying to get it right

Ship me off
Send me somewhere
Send me home
Send me anywhere