Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Give, and it will be given to you

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
todd

California

Give, and it will be given to you

Luke 6:38
"Give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, they will pour into your lap..."

I get the first part of this verse. If you give, you will be given to. But I would really appreciate some understanding of the next part of the verse that seems to elaborate on that fact. What does, "Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, they will pour into your lap" really mean? Does this mean that if you give, more than you gave will be given to you? Like if you give x, >x will be given to you. The idea like if you give 1 penny, 2 will come back to you. I believe this is some kind of Jewish idiom or something of that nature.

Please, someone, expound.

2005/3/19 12:02Profile
geddingsm

south carolina

Re: Give, and it will be given to you

This illustration comes from the marketplace where grain was poured out, shaken down, and then filled to overflowing so the buyer received the full amount purchased. Such is the full measure that will be returned to one who has been generous.
The passage in Luke this is taken from is also talking about judging others in the wrong way so I think it goes much deeper than material things. but it can also mean material things.

2005/3/19 16:54Profile
todd

California

Re:

Perfect, thank you. If anyone has any sources I can check that would be ideal. But now I think I get the picture. It's of a person bringing a big bag to the market and going to the part where they're selling grain. Then the buyer sits down and opens up the bag between their legs and the seller dumps the grain into the bag, picks up the bag and gives it a shake to make more room, then fills the remainder of the bag to the top and lets a little spill over to be sure you are getting your money's worth.

So I get the idea that whatever you give, you will get back abundantly (overflowing).
Correct?

2005/3/19 19:03Profile
geddingsm

south carolina

Re: overflow giving

You're correct. But please don't be so shallow as to just relate it to money. I used to be in the prosperity word of faith camp and for years I thought it was money. In reality it could apply in certain cases (according to God's will), but try and see the bigger picture that you can give alot more than money and your reward will be eternal not temperal.
I wasn't sure what kind of source you want but if you want to IM I could guide you to the source you may be looking for.

2005/3/19 23:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy