SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Our Sense of Sinfulness Works for Good

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
"If any of God’s people should be tampering with sin, because God can turn it to good, though the Lord does not damn them, He may send them to hell in this life. He may put them into such bitter agonies and soul-convulsions, as may fill them flail of horror, and make them draw nigh to despair. Let this be a flaming sword to keep them from coming near the forbidden tree."

2013/7/18 17:05Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

I agree with the author of this--mostly. However, he only presented one side of the coin, which makes it look very much like he is being lenient on sin. Take it from the perspective of a lost person: sin doesn't cause any reaction from them spiritually. Nothing. No remorse. No examination of their soul. No turning to the Lord. Again, nothing.

The author said our SENSE of sinfulness is good. He did not say "our sinfulness is good." In fact, he clearly expressed that sinfulness in a believer is awful.

I don't agree with everything that he said; however, I understand what he is saying, because when I sin, although it is ALWAYS better not to have sinned, God does work in me an effort to convict, correct, and restore me. Again, it is always better not to sin and remain steadfastly seeking the Lord. Always. No exceptions.

2013/7/18 17:09Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

At least to a brother that wants to be free from sin but finds himself doing those things that he does not want to, and not doing what he knows to do, there is hope. This has been the case of many Christians, myself included, and what a deliverance it was to discover that through Christ alone we are delivered from this body of death.

Perhaps the greatest peril of a Christian is to think that you are all right, and be blind to the sin that you are in. Pride will blind us to our sin and cause us to see the faults in others while justifying ourselves.

Mike

2013/7/18 17:26Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Exactly

2013/7/18 17:33Profile

Re: Just not sure

Quote:
As I read much of the old writings I have to go back to just scripture reading prayerfully in the presence of the Lord alone, because what happens to me anyway, is when I get super introspective I seem to stray off of mercy and grace and it sometimes breeds in me a warped view, very seldom have I strayed the other way but that warped view seems to bring with it many christian abnormalities, if you please. Self examination is good and scriptural, however to live in that state is very harmful, I believe.

Yeah, someone once told me that our eyes were given to us to look outward and not to look inward.

Self-examination can only be effective if the light and guidance of the Holy Spirit is involved. Otherwise, you could fall into the "slough of despond".

2013/7/18 17:44
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

For me the "sense" of sinfulness is found in the ever-present attraction to sin through my flesh nature. The temptation to get angry, impatient, lust. I find these impulses very real and omnipresent, forever keeping me in check in the spirit of my mind. This fosters a perpetual reliance upon the Life of Jesus Christ to keep me in a victorious position of overcoming through Him.

I've found that when the "sense" of sinfulness fades, I begin to slack off and grow careless, spiritually. I begin to assume a delusion that I've "arrived" and passed some sort of sanctified threshold where I don't need to be so fervent in faith anymore. I start to take a breather, relax my grip on the sword, loosen the breastplate, lower the shield, adjust the helmet. The "sense" of sinful danger is no longer at emergency-level.

And this is when I am suddenly taken down. One dart, strategically placed. Satan is opportunistic and very clever. As long as the "sense" of sinfulness is present, I am humble and full of faith in the spirit. But by nature I am proud and selfish and easily fatigued by my intransigent flesh. King David took to Bathsheeba when the "sense" of war was of no threat and he was relaxing in his palace. When I begin relaxing in the "palace" of my triumphant vessel I start looking at different Bathsheebas too!

This was the "good" principle of the sense of sinfulness I think the author was expressing in the article, as opposed to committing actual acts of sin.

2013/7/18 17:58Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"For me the "sense" of sinfulness is found in the ever-present attraction to sin through my flesh nature. The temptation to get angry, impatient, lust. I find these impulses very real and omnipresent, forever keeping me in check in the spirit of my mind. This fosters a perpetual reliance upon the Life of Jesus Christ to keep me in a victorious position of overcoming through Him."

Well said brother! When we know our weakness we will walk in faith and watchfulness trusting the Lord to keep us.

When we think that we have arrived we become very vunerable to a big fall because we forget that without Him we can do nothing. Instead of being watchful, we become careless.

Mike

2013/7/18 19:10Profile

Re: Our sense of Christ in us, works better.

Yet, we should not lose sight of the fact that it is our sense of being a son of God, a co-heir with Christ and a temple of the Holy Spirit that enables us to rise up in faith and overcome the world, the flesh and the Devil.

This "sense" should resonate stronger in you than the flesh.

Does it?

Quote:
Our Sense of Sinfulness Works for Good

Our sense of "Christ in us the hope of glory", works better.

2013/7/18 21:45
proudpapa

Our Sense of Sinfulness Works for Good

Something to consider,

As I am reading through the various post and comments from everyone, I am noticing that their are very few Scriptures being given.

I can not exactly place it, but something feels off.

2013/7/18 22:59Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re: Our Sense of Sinfulness Works for Good

Why did Christ shed his blood, but to redeem us from an 'empty way of life'? 1 Peter 1:18 19.

Christ gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own Titus 2:14.

Christ shed his blood--to wash off our filth! The cross was both an altar and a laver. Jesus died not only to save us from wrath 1 Thessalonians 1:10 — but to save us from sin Matthew 1:21.

Out of his side came water which signifies our cleansing, as well as blood which signifies our justifying 1 John 5:6.

The truth is, it would make Christ monstrous, if the head should be pure and not the members.

2013/7/19 6:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy