SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Greatest Idol You Will Ever Confront

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docseth1

Valdosta, Ga

The Greatest Idol You Will Ever Confront

The greatest idol you will ever have to confront is Self. You know, that thing staring back at you in the mirror. Self is an idol like no other and has damned more souls than Satan and all of his combined demons. Satan merely plays the string that awakens our selfish desires. Self takes care of the rest.

The powers of this god are great and can be felt at all times and in all places. This idol is not made of wood, metal or stone – this god lives and breathes, and ever lives to make you happy. In fact, the only requirement of this god is that you be happy and to ensure this, Self will always find a way to give you what you want. This god will look after you & it will look out for you like no one else. As long as you live, Self will never leave or forsake you.

There is no need to pray to this idol. This god knows what you want at all times, and stands prepared to give it to you.

Do you need an explanation for your Selfish behavior? Self will give you a "justifiable" explanation for every carnal and Selfish thing you do.

Do you need to be excused from the service of the Lord? Self will always remind you of those "important" meetings you must attend.

Do you need to be reminded of prior obligations? Self keeps the best records – especially when it matters to Self. Just let someone mention a prayer meeting, a work day or a ministry position needing to be filled, and a to do list a mile long will suddenly come to your remembrance.

Do you need a defense lawyer? Just let Self defend you and you will always come out looking like the innocent angel.

No wonder the seduction of this god is so strong. Self gives you everything that you want. The powerful seduction of this god has ensnared many on earth. Our first parents bowed to this god: “You (Self) will be as God!” They were seduced by Selfish ambition and desire. Satan merely played the strings that awakened their selfish desires. He’s still using this same tactic.

Self’s powers have also reached the heavenly realm. This god even managed to ensnare one of heavens leading angels - you may know him as Lucifer. Observe as Lucifer talks while under the intoxication of the Self god:

"I (self) will ascend into heaven, I (self) will exalt my throne above the stars of God. I (self) will also sit on the mount of the congregation On the farthest sides of the north; I (self) will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I (self) will be like the Most High."

One third of heavens angels were swept away into this same idolatry.

Here is a question to ponder: Are you bowing to this god? The first of the Ten Commandments state, “You shall have no other gods before Me” (Ex 20:3). Jesus also made it clear how we are to deal with this god Self: “If any man will come after Me, let him deny Self” (Mt 16:24). As you can see, this god must be confronted. By refusing to surrender our lives completely to the Lord, we commit idolatry and show that we are not worthy to be Christ’s disciple.

Here is a word of exhortation: lay all of your desires, dreams and ambitions down at Christ’s feet. He is worthy. I can promise you this: a life that’s entirely surrendered to the Lord is one with far greater reward and benefit than anything you could possibly create on your own. Believe Him when He tells you that life under His control is far greater than when Self is leading the way. Jeremiah 29:11

http://myministryplace.blogspot.com/

2013/7/16 15:43Profile
acarrollfan

Re: The Greatest Idol You Will Ever Confront

Great stuff. I can't agree more.

It is the most difficult thing to lead oneself. It happens to me, to say the least.

2013/7/16 22:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy