SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Texas House approves sweeping abortion restrictions

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Texas House approves sweeping abortion restrictions

(Reuters) - The Texas House of Representatives approved sweeping abortion restrictions on Tuesday, including a ban after 20 weeks of pregnancy and tougher standards for clinics that perform the procedure.

The vote of 98-49 came after a full day of sometimes emotional debate. Before the measure can head to the state Senate, it needs a final vote from the House, which is expected on Wednesday.

The House approved the same proposal during a previous special session of the legislature, but it failed to pass in the Senate after Democratic Senator Wendy Davis staged an 11-hour filibuster that gained national attention.

Planned Parenthood, the country's largest provider of abortions, says the proposed stricter standards for clinics could cause all but six of the 42 abortion facilities in Texas to shut down. Bill author Republican Jodie Laubenberg said no facility would be forced to close.

Texas Governor Rick Perry, a Republican who opposes abortion, called lawmakers back to Austin for a second special session to reconsider the proposal. Most lawmakers in the Republican controlled Senate favor the bill.

Since the second special session began on July 1, thousands of Texans have packed the Capitol to testify at hearings, hold rallies and march.

After the vote on Tuesday, bill opponents crowded the area outside the House chamber, chanting "Defense! Defense!" to cheer on lawmakers who voted against the bill and were emerging from the legislative chamber.

During the debate on Tuesday, Representative Jason Villalba, a Republican whose wife is expecting a baby boy, spoke passionately in favor of the bill while showing his colleagues a sonogram picture of "my son."

"We fight this fight because of innocent human life," he said.

The 20-week provision - a version of which has been passed by a dozen states - is based on controversial research suggesting fetuses feel pain at that point in the pregnancy.

Bill opponent Representative Senfronia Thompson, a Democrat, unsuccessfully proposed an amendment to exempt victims of rape and incest from the 20-week provision.

"I don't think that you want to traumatize (a) young woman by making her carry a child that her stepfather has impregnated her with, or her father," Thompson said.

Thompson held up a coat hanger to make the point that women may be forced to turn to unsafe abortion methods.

Last week, two states imposed new abortion restrictions.

Ohio stripped funding from Planned Parenthood and put new requirements on those performing and seeking abortions. Wisconsin passed a law requiring women seeking an abortion to undergo an ultrasound and new requirements on doctors performing abortions. A federal judge on Monday temporarily blocked a portion of that law.

(Reporting by Corrie MacLaggan; Editing by Alex Dobuzinskis and Lisa Shumaker)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/10/us-usa-abortion-texas-idUSBRE96805G20130710

2013/7/10 11:22
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Texas House approves sweeping abortion restrictions

Just another reason I am proud to be a Texan.

2013/7/10 21:15Profile

Re:

What was really shocking about this was that Democrats were dressing up in orange and dressing their little children up in orange and making them hold pro-abortion signs.

http://www.lifenews.com/2013/07/01/mom-makes-kids-hold-signs-at-texas-rally-for-late-term-abortions/

AUSTIN, TX, July 2, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Pro-abortion activists are pulling out all the stops, with costumed suffragettes and sign-toting children among their pool of orange t-shirts who descended on the Texas Capitol in protest of the state’s proposed late-term abortion ban on Tuesday.

In an episode that has now received considerable attention, some of the protesters attempted to drown out pro-lifers singing the renowned hymn “Amazing Grace” by repeatedly shouting “Hail Satan!”

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/texas-protest-children-hold-coat-hanger-signs-suffragettes-arrive-others-ye

Unfortunately for the pro-abortion crowd in Texas they have really exposed themselves as they let people know that they are in favor of killing a 5 month old baby.

Johnson added while she has felt regret and remorse over her past involvement in the abortion industry, the behavior of the pro-abortion protesters at the Texas Capitol over the past week has made her feel "embarrassed" for the first time.

"Standing there yesterday and last week, I just felt embarrassed," she said. "I felt embarrassed for myself for ever being a part of that. I felt embarrassed for them and their behavior."

The antics are sponsored, at least in part, by Planned Parenthood, which posted an add on Craigslist over the weekend in Austin, Texas for paid protesters of the bill.

Also, the ad has been taken down now, but pro-abortion people advertised on Craigslist that they would pay people to demonstrate and protest at the capitol in Austin, TX., paying 1300 to 2200 dollars a month.

http://zhenzhila.com/archives/2013/07/01/great-news-being-a-pro-choice-grassroots-protester-pays-a-decent-wage/

http://zhenzhila.com/archives/2013/07/01/wendy-davis-dont-you-hate-it-when-politicians-use-abortion-to-further-their-own-career-ambitions/

2013/7/11 15:04
Renoncer

Re:

PRAISE GOD!
He does restrain the evil in this world.

On the other hand, how sad is it that children and toddlers would be told to carry pro-abortion signs. It's like telling a Jew to hold up a sign in favor of the Final Solution. May God help some of those people to see the wickedness for what it really is.

In Christ,
Renoncer

2013/7/11 15:21Profile

Re:

Renoncer,

You really put it in perspective, concerning the children and your analogy of a Jew. Pretty sick, isn't it. At the same time we must pray for these people just a Corrie Ten Boom and Betsie prayed for the Nazi's.

2013/7/11 15:45
Renoncer

Re:

That's right. We must pray for them. Only God can open their eyes and their hearts.
Praise the Lord for his powerful intervention in the lives of his elect, turning them from darkness to light.

Renoncer

2013/7/11 17:24Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

The American Holocaust must be stopped.

2013/7/13 10:20Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

In a speech about children:

"If there is even one thing we can do to reduce this violence, if there's even one life that can be saved, we've got an obligation to try." - Barack Obama

I could not agree more.

2013/7/13 16:31Profile

Re:

I agree with those words from "O", but as they say (and we have found out) talk is cheap.

http://www.wnd.com/2008/01/45553/

http://www.lifenews.com/2012/09/13/obama-backed-infanticide-pro-lifers-had-it-right-all-along/

http://www.catholicleague.org/obamas-pro-infanticide-vote/

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/292204/obama-s-infanticide-votes-patrick-brennan

2013/7/13 21:16
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Texas House approves sweeping abortion restrictions

So Texas lawmen passed a bill saying it is illegal to kill a baby past the 20 week gestation period. But the 19 week old is young enough to kill...SIGH. But politically, you take what you can get, right?

You know what? If all the people in Texas who call themselves Christians or are religious, (EDIT) would not abort it would save more babies then any law could or will. I also know that if people would pursue moral purity there would be little pressure to abort.

The problem, folks, is sin run rampant, even among religious folks. Fornication is no longer frowned upon or if it is, girls will have an AB to hide it if she conceives. Happens all the time.

Know what I think would go a long ways to make girls think twice about getting involved in immorality? If she knew that if she conceived that she would be forced to give that child up for adoption! There is such a negative mindset among Christian people about adoption that it is frightening! Sure it is painful to give up your child for adoption, but not as hard as it is for a child to grow up without a dad...

Ok, I said my piece...in case you wonder why I am so opinionated about this subject, I worked at a Crises Pregnancy Center for 15 years. Learned a few things first hand, things that are hard to learn from reading a book. AND....my patience runs very thin on this issue.

2013/7/13 21:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy