SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can A Christian Have Tattoos?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

just-in wrote:

"Sree, the person that talked about "cool tattoos" was using satire."

I thought that was obvious-- guess not. I must say that Christian satire- like that found in the "Wittenburg Door" did a great service to me by helping me to get rid of a religious spirit, although I still struggle with it.

By the way, I don't have any tattoos either, nor would I ever get one, but if I did it would simply say: "Luke 24:32"

2013/7/10 7:29Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by acarrollfan on 2013/7/8 17:37:32

Wow!

I just left the computer for about 12 hours and there are already 22 replies with 530 views. I wasn't expecting that this thread could be such a heated topic.

Thank you everyone for the input.

Just for your information, I am a single man and I am not intending to get a tattoo for myself.

Like I mentioned in my opening post, this is only for healthy discussion and exchange of ideas.

Maybe I should post more questions like this more often so that we can exchange more ideas.

=D

If I may submit this question to you in love as a sister in CHRIST, what has posting this topic and having this exchange done to glorify JESUS? How has HE been lifted up? How has the work of HIS KINGDOM been accomplished in this thread? Are others being pointed toward JESUS with the words written here??

Just something that came upon my heart as I read through the thread...

God bless
maryjane

2013/7/10 8:24Profile
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re:

Original Question Was

Quote:
Can A Christian Have Tattoos?

Of course they can. To suggest that salvation is dependent on something as totally insignificant as ink on skin is an absolute mockery of Christ's blood and work on the cross.

Perhaps a better question at this point would be -

Can those who view a persons standing before God to potentially be affected by ink on skin actually ever see things from God's perspective?

How accurately did the prophet say
Quote:
the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” -

Give me people covered in tattoos if they are on fire for God, worshipping, praying, and winning their communities to Christ!

God Himself cares not a whit that you are tattoo free if all you are doing is sitting around casting verbal stones at those who have them.

It ISN'T the tattoos that matter. It IS the condition of the heart!

Spend a lot more time checking your own heart ..... and a lot less time deciding that a person is in sin because they have ink on their skin.

Quote:
Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? - Matt 7:3 ESV

2013/7/10 10:33Profile

Re:

Quote:
If I may submit this question to you in love as a sister in CHRIST, what has posting this topic and having this exchange done to glorify JESUS? How has HE been lifted up? How has the work of HIS KINGDOM been accomplished in this thread? Are others being pointed toward JESUS with the words written here??

Just something that came upon my heart as I read through the thread...

God bless
maryjane

Simply another thread that could potentially help someone identify their self-righteousness and hypocrisy and then make adjustments. And that's always a good thing. Some posts have had that "good" effect on me.

2013/7/10 11:17
MaryJane

Re:

JUst-in wrote:Simply another thread that could potentially help someone identify their self-righteousness and hypocrisy and then make adjustments. And that's always a good thing.

Far to often these threads end in ill will and being locked by the mods. As Lisa mentioned this topic is not new to SI it has been discussed much over the years. I do not believe anyone from either side has ever come back and said, "Oh now I see things differently" after these kinds of discussions. Of course I could be wrong and perhaps there have been those whose thoughts have been changed one way or another??

Sadly there are often times when threads are started for no other reason then to stir up debate or strife among the brothers and sisters that come here. I will admit I posted my response after reading some posts that seem to have a spirit other then love and CHRIST behind them, but perhaps I was hasty in my view and misunderstood what others were attempting to say. I do pray this thread will not go the way that so many others have...

God bless you just-in
maryjane

2013/7/10 12:05Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Solomon wrote:

"Give me people covered in tattoos if they are on fire for God, worshipping, praying, and winning their communities to Christ!"

Amen to that! I know several people who fit that description quite well.

MaryJane-- I can appreciate your concerns, but after all this is a "discussion" forum. Sometimes threads do devolve into something undesirable, but I do not think that has happened here-- at least not yet. Are there differing opinions on the matter? Obviously! But if there were not, there would not be much to discuss.

I don't think it is necessarily about trying to change another person's viewpoint-- as you noted this is extremely difficult to do! I can honestly say that some of my viewpoints on theological issues have in fact changed over the years due to bible forum discussions. However, even when they have not changed, I have learned from reading other people's opinions, even if I am not convinced to change my mind about something.

2013/7/10 12:52Profile

Re:

I agree, TMK. It has been a good thread so far. There is probably not a lot more to say and this thread will sink into the SI thread abyss.

2013/7/10 13:56
acarrollfan

Re: Can A Christian Have Tattoos?

Wow more inputs!

Should I start more threads like this for discussion?

Of course, it will be in different topics.

2013/7/10 21:54Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Solomon101,

Quote:

Of course they can. To suggest that salvation is dependent on something as totally insignificant as ink on skin is an absolute mockery of Christ's blood and work on the cross.

I don't think that anyone here was suggesting that a person's salvation was dependent upon various images that they had etched into their skin with ink.

Quote:

Perhaps a better question at this point would be...

The way that I approached this thread was a question more in tune with a purpose for a "healthy discussion" probably sought by the original poster:

"SHOULD a Christian GET tattoos?"

With this wording, this becomes a very different question that the one in the first post. However, it was how I approached the discussion.

As for whether or not a person with tattoo become a Christian? Of course they can. Can a person who was a drunkard...adulterer...gossiper...etc... be a Christian? Of course. Any sin can and will be forgiven.

However, the tone that seems to be approached in this discussion is whether or not a person who is a believer should go out and get tattoos AFTER having come to Christ.

Obviously, this issue -- like every issue -- is a condition of the heart. Yet, the "healthy discussion" sought by the original poster could include the question about whether or not current believers should go out and get a tattoo.

No one should be accused of being "self-righteous" or "hypocrite" simply for holding to a belief -- derived from what they see in the Word of God -- about whether or not a believer should get a tattoo. Nor should a believer condemn someone who has received a tattoo.

Personally, I believe that a Christian's physical "temple" belongs to God. I feel that they should treat it with every bit of respect as the Temple was treated. For me, the issue of a tattoo is similar to other permanent "alterations" made on the body. Would we chop off a finger if having three fingers and a thumb was suddenly vogue?

We belong to our Creator. This includes our bodies. This ownership came at a great cost. We don't own our bodies to the point of doing whatever we please. We are caretakers here to fulfill our Lord's wishes. As most everyone has pointed out, it is His approval that we should seek in all things.

As a husband, I wouldn't want my wife to get a tattoo. My wife would never want me to get a tattoo. Once we have children, I would never want my son or daughter to get a tattoo. I would simply urge believers to seek the Lord's desires in regard to our physical bodies.

Like I said, we are just caretakers of our bodies. If I am leasing a building, I can change the paint, door knobs or drapes. However, I can't make permanent changes to that house or building without first seeking permission from the owner. I think that we should seek permission from our Owner before we permanently alter our "temple."

2013/7/10 22:48Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Like I said, we are just caretakers of our bodies. If I am leasing a building, I can change the paint, door knobs or drapes. However, I can't make permanent changes to that house or building without first seeking permission from the owner. I think that we should seek permission from our Owner before we permanently alter our "temple."

Good point. There is a difference between hairstyle and Goatee and then Tattoos. Goatee is just a hair that I choose not to cut in my face. Tattoo is an external sign on my body that is mostly permanent. I have a goatee not because I think it looks cool, not because it is my identity, not because some rock start I know has it. My identity is not in my looks or in my external accessories but it is in the work that Jesus did for me and is still doing inside me.

My wife asked me about wearing Jewels. I asked to wear Jewels if she feels that wearing them does not become her identity. If she feels she remains the same person irrespective of whether wearing them or not. Based on this she Judged her heart and took a decision. Can a Christian have tattoo without that becoming his identity?

I know a sister who got convicted to remove Jewels that she was wearing by reading God's word. She kept hiding this conviction. One day she could take it no longer, she removed the Jewels that she was wearing, with a decision not to wear them anymore. Immediately she received the Baptism of Holy Spirit and she started speaking in Tongues.

We cannot write a theology based on this Sister's experience, though I know that it is true. In the same way if this Christian who chooses to get a tattoo today gets a conviction tomorrow that this tattoo has become his identity then how will he remove it? Won't it be painful? Why should someone be guided into this mess without giving any warning?

On a side note, it is not good for a Christian to take God's name in vain even for the sake of sercastic quotes. Will Jesus take the name of God in vain this way?

2013/7/11 1:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy