SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can A Christian Have Tattoos?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

I added to my post, TMK.

2013/7/8 15:06
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi just-in,

Quote:

The context of "Your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost" is not about tattoos. Read it again.

You can't claim that the context cannot apply to ANYTHING dealing with the physical body. Obviously, the passage references sexual sins. However, the precept does not apply SOLELY to sexual sins. It can be applied to anything that affects the body.

Quote:

If we want to be legalistic about that verse, then all Christians should stop drinking sodas, and other artificial drinks, food laced with additives, popsicles with food coloring, birthday cakes, packaged foods, etc, etc. You get the idea.

Why? Such things that you listed aren't permanently damaging your body as a single trip to the tattoo parlor can do. At the same time, the Lord might very well convict a person's heart to stay away from fatty foods or other items that aren't "good" for your health. If a person is obese or facing diabetes, then they should take care of the physical "temple" that they are entrusted. The key for most people would be "moderation" (e.g., "a little wine" versus drunkenness).

Of course, there is a world of difference between a lasting permanent alteration as well. Instead of talking about a "birthday cake," a better analogy would be opium. Drugs alter your mind (sometimes nearly permanently). You cannot "undo" a tattoo without a scar.

As for the "legalism" argument: I will repeat what I said before. Since the Lord "bought" us, our bodies do not belong to us. We should, therefore, ask God whether or not we should make such a permanent and lasting inscriptions on the body.

Like you said, it is HIS approval that we should seek. It is not about "rule and regulations." However, it is also not about our own desires under some guise of "liberty." The first place that we should run to about something like this is to the Lord.

A good question might be, "What should we do if we don't 'hear' anything?" when it comes to issues like this. If we don't feel the Lord's approval over something like a tattoo, should we take that as "liberty" to get one anyway? Or, given the lasting nature of it, should we refrain from getting one UNTIL we receive the Lord's approval?

2013/7/8 15:29Profile

Re:

Now, we are going off the tracks into strife and debate.

Brother, (the one that asked the question), you need to ask the Lord and obey His voice. Men are relying on others words too much and are forever vacillating because many men have many opinions. The Lord has one opinion for you brother. Don't you want to know what it is? Just go to prayer and ask Him.

2013/7/8 16:24
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi just-in,

Quote:

Now, we are going off the tracks into strife and debate.

I wasn't trying to "go off the tracks" but simply replying to your own response where you said:

Quote:

The context of "Your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost" is not about tattoos. Read it again.

I think that we can all agree with your encouragement when you said, "Brother, (the one that asked the question), you need to ask the Lord and obey His voice."

The initial poster, acarrollfan, said that he wanted to engage in a "healthy discussion." He stated that he believes that it is okay to do so. My response was to simply show him an alternate perspective -- from the Scriptures -- that is worth thinking about. At the same time, I made it clear that I didn't take a position on the matter but urged, like you, that a person seeks the Lord for the answer.

I hope that clarifies my response just a bit. It wasn't to be argumentative just as I am sure that you didn't mean to be when you said that the "your body is a temple" passage was somehow taken out of context.

2013/7/8 16:35Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Can A Christian Have Tattoos?

We (SI) had a very heated discussion about this back in 2007ish and I still feel the same. No, I do not believe that you will go to hell to have or get a tattoo on your body. My sons have asked me about tattoo's since they've been 15 and my advice was if they could remind me in a year that they still loved that certain tattoo, I'd sign for them to get it and they never did - forgot the design every time!! Now they are both over 21 and only the youngest does have a tattoo, a very smart looking cool one that he actually did put a lot of thought into.

Quote:
murrcolr wrote:
If you had tattoos before you were saved then that's okay, but to go and get one after being saved would be wrong.

I don't mean to pick on you or your argument (b/c I've always liked you) but I have to say that I've heard the same argument used about divorce. "If you get a divorce b4 you are saved, it's ok." If it's a sin, it's a sin - to me there is no time constraints on sin. Maybe I'm wrong and there are but that argument just doesn't sound logical.

But I agree with just-in and TMK that ink is ink and it is what it is.

God bless you all!!
Lisa

2013/7/8 17:26Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: I don't mean to pick on you or your argument (b/c I've always liked you) but I have to say that I've heard the same argument used about divorce. "If you get a divorce b4 you are saved, it's ok." If it's a sin, it's a sin - to me there is no time constraints on sin.

Ha ha praise God at least theres one on SI... but Lysa feel free to picked up on me steel sharpens steel.

Before you came to Christ you didn't know the truth, but now you have came to Christ and are supposed to walk in the light knowing that your are not your own you have been bought with a price.

So my argument well it's not a argument really is that the brother who has a tattoo before getting saved is under grace, he cannot be condemn as he has been forgiven of his sins, but now he is saved and is under grace that does not give him licence to go and get additional tattoos.

Does that make any sense...

2013/7/8 18:17Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

murrcolr wrote:

"but now he is saved and is under grace that does not give him license to go and get additional tattoos."

True-- if getting a tattoo in and of itself is a sin. That is the burning question, and one that no one here can state with any certainty.

Sure, getting a tattoo that is sexually explicit or with vile language would be a sin, but what if it is a scripture reference? Or some other sin-neutral image or word? Popeye had an anchor on his forearm. Not sure what's sinful about an anchor.

2013/7/8 18:46Profile
proudpapa

Re:

Question for everyone, what causes someone to desire a tattoo ?

excellent thoughts, murrcolr!

2013/7/8 19:02Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: True-- if getting a tattoo in and of itself is a sin.

Quote: Sure, getting a tattoo that is sexually explicit or with vile language would be a sin, but what if it is a scripture reference? Or some other sin-neutral image or word? Popeye had an anchor on his forearm. Not sure what's sinful about an anchor.

Well thats something you need to settle with God, I am speaking out of the my conviction.

But I wouldn't be looking to popeye for inspiration.... lol

2013/7/8 19:37Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
murrcolr wrote:
Before you came to Christ you didn't know the truth, but now you have came to Christ and are supposed to walk in the light knowing that your are not your own you have been bought with a price.

So, what exactly do you believe the end result is for those who get tattoos after they "know the truth," do they go to hell or not?

Quote:
murrcolr wrote:
So my argument well it's not a argument really is that the brother who has a tattoo before getting saved is under grace, he cannot be condemn as he has been forgiven of his sins, but now he is saved and is under grace that does not give him licence to go and get additional tattoos.

Well, it seems to me to be an argument... an argument of persuasion. To persuade the new Christian to follow in line with the status quo in order to go to heaven possibly?!

God bless you!!
Lisa

2013/7/8 21:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy