SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Spiritual Gifts & Moving in the Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crossreach

Ireland

Spiritual Gifts & Moving in the Spirit

The Bible seems quite clear and many godly men and women through history testify that there is a/many subsequent infillings of the Holy Spirit after a believer is baptized and born again. Tozer, Wesley and Ravenhill would be just three big names in the Evangelical church.

I'm not looking for a doctrinal dispute, but rather some clear guidance on how to move forward in this. There is obviously much error to steer clear from. What books or advice would you recommend. It is not the experience themselves that I seek, but the intimacy with God. I want to know God experientially, and I believe the Bible and Church history strongly testifies to this reality.

2013/7/3 14:12Profile
crossreach

Ireland

Re: Spiritual Gifts & Moving in the Spirit

D. Martin Lloyd Jones would be another one.

2013/7/3 14:14Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

The path to the Spirit baptism is the same path to personal revival.

these two messages will help you.

https://www.lifeaction.org/infuse-podcast/2013/6/26/broken-heart-and-contrite-spirit/

https://www.lifeaction.org/infuse-podcast/2013/6/12/dealing-bitterness/

God bless.

2013/7/3 14:29Profile
TomfromOZ

Hunter Valley, Australia

You will find many great messages here on S.I on this theme. Zac poonen gives some clear teaching on this area. I started to watch a message from alan bartley the other night on you tube that was on this theme, you can find it

here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzDtrFtUPJ4

May God meet you in your hunger. Set your heart, posture yourself to seeking the Lord, he will not dissapoint.

Tom

2013/7/3 18:57Profile
SteveHale

NSW Australia

Our best place to start is the words of Jesus. For it is a promise!

Luke 11:9-13

“So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

“Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Blessings Steve

2013/7/3 19:31Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Quote:
crossreach wrote:
There is obviously much error to steer clear from. What books or advice would you recommend.

Be careful here b/c what is error to one person may not be error to another. I am just speaking generally here because those who do not operate in the area of spiritual gifts tend to question most everything that we do or call it error.

Many prophets of old became prophets by having only the Bible to read and actually believing what they read and applying it, no matter how minuscule or silly it seemed. If you want to move and operate in the Spirit - that is where you begin!

And set aside time for worship, prayer and listening to the Lord and next year come back and update this thread for us!! I can't wait to hear what the Lord will do!

God bless,
Lisa

2013/7/3 21:23Profile
Sree

To me the blessing came through brokenness. But I do not believe everyone gets the same way.

I would suggest the book on -'Baptism of Holy Spirit' by R.A Torrey. I have not read this book fully yet but read most part of it. Many regard this book highly and I agreed with whatever I read in this book so far.

Also search for Zac Poonen's sermons in this site on Baptism of Holy Spirit. Zac explains this blessing as a daily one rather than a one time blessing.

2013/7/4 5:13Profile
savannah

Hi crossreach,

Re: Your statement, "There is obviously much error to steer clear from. What books or advice would you recommend."

Here is a small book which can be read online:

http://www.theearlychurch.com/english/flake.htm

Re: Your statement, "It is not the experience themselves that I seek, but the intimacy with God."

I'd recommend: The Inner Man of the Heart Or, the Believer's Sphere of Life and Base of Operations.
by T. Austin-Sparks 1926.

May be read online at: http://www.austin-sparks.net/english/books/inner_man_of_the_heart_the.html

Also: Our Warfare by T. Austin-Sparks
May be read online at: http://www.austin-sparks.net/english/books/our_warfare.html

Also: Power With God by T. Austin-Sparks
May be read online at: http://www.austin-sparks.net/english/books/power_with_god.html

There are also numerous other books by this author at the following website: http://www.austin-sparks.net/english/books/books_alpha.html

In regard to his own ministry this man T. Austin-Sparks, wrote these words -

"The object of the ministry is to contribute to the Divine end which is presented in the words of Ephesians 4:13 - "...till we all attain unto the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge (literally - full knowledge) of the Son of God, unto a full-grown man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: that we be no longer children..."
It is not connected with any 'Movement,' 'Organization,' 'Mission' or separate body of Christians, but is just a ministry to "all saints." Its going forth is with the prayer and hope that it will so result in a fuller measure of Christ, a richer and higher level of spiritual life, that, while bringing the Church of God into a growing approximation to His revealed will as to its 'attainment,' the Church may be better qualified to be used of Him in testimony in the nations, and to the completing of its own number by the salvation of those yet to be added by the Lord."

Re: Your statement, "There is obviously much error to steer clear from."

Yes! There is! So please be sure and read Ted Brooks' book first.

Hope these will be profitable and edifying to your spirit.

2013/7/4 8:19Profile
wombat1

Melbourne

Hi Cross reach, it is my opinion that the word of God si the book , however if you want intimacy with the Lord then spend time before him. Waiting on him yes praying or worship but softly of spirit so that if and when he talks you can stop and listen.

There have been many reports of the lord appearing before muslims and others however it is in communion or discussion with him ttha you will learn first his voice and then his will and mind.

If you really want intimacy spend time allocate it in your diary, scratch the time out allow yourself a reason to break it if you will like death of a family member.

Remember that in the upper room there was 400 people to start but only 120 stayed the course. It makes me wonder how many family members came knocking on the doors to tear family members out of there and what unmissable events caused so many to leave the room.

By the time there was only the 120 the first thing that is said about them is that they were in one accord, the trouble makers left or were removed but also a spiritual bond developed as they stayed the course together.

Having said that let me say this, ha ha, you must make a change to allow for the relationship to develop and the first thing to add is time, then obviously is commitment etc. etc. Then having made your plan come before the thrown with it and ask that God assist you as you and I have no strength of ourseleves to basically do anything of worth.

God bless, I am a fan of Ravenhill amonst others wishing you well. Oskar.

2013/7/5 8:55Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy