SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Prosperity!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Prosperity!

What is Biblical prosperity? (if there is already a thread out there just point me towards it)

2005/3/16 22:03Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Prosperity!

Quote:
What is Biblical prosperity?

This is an interesting topic because I think it goes both ways. But the overwhelming New Testament view of things is its better to be rich [b]towards[/b] God. Jesus said we are not to worry about the things the gentiles worry after: food, clothing, etc.

[b]James 2:5-6 (NKJV)[/b] - Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts?

but the promise still stands:

[b]Psalm 37:25-26 (NKJV)[/b] - I have been young, and now am old; Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his descendants begging bread. He is ever merciful, and lends; And his descendants are blessed.

2005/3/16 22:10Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

My pastor gave a great definition: Biblical prosperity is not having a billion dollars, rather Biblical prosperity is having what you need when you need it.

2005/3/16 22:14Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Well what I have been dealing with is that I dont agree with all the focus on money from so many "prosperity" preachers and I feel like I need a balance and sound understanding of prosperity. I dont want to think a preacher is all about money or wrong just because he mentions being prosperous. Are there any sermons out there about the blessings of God or the prosperity of God?

2005/3/16 22:22Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I dont want to think a preacher is all about money or wrong just because he mentions being prosperous.

I would be very very cautious and careful about this. The TV preachers that mention it but talk about other subjects cannot be justified, there is so much falsehood in modern day preachers whose emphasis is on prosperity.

[b]1 Timothy 6:3-10 (NKJV)[/b] - If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspiscions. useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, [b]who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.[/b] Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

2005/3/16 22:38Profile

Re:

Christ came that we might have life, and have it more abundantly. However I see no reference in that scripture to money. God desires that we have abundant faith, that we be abundant in good works, that we be abundant in spiritual things.

Paul lived a very abundant life. It was abundant in trials, tribulations, and persecutions.

Paul knew nothing of the type of prosperity that is being preached by many today. 1 Corinthians 4:11 "To the present hour we both hunger and thirst, and we are poorly clothed, and beaten, and homeless."

Often scriptures are twisted and manipulated to mean something they never meant to mean. Example, many preach the "sowing, reaping" principal that if you give money to anointed ministers, God will bless you with money. However the scripture "what a man may sow -- that also he shall reap" has nothing to do about money, but is actually about the wrath of God.

Gal 6:7-8 "Be not led astray; God is not mocked; for what a man may sow -- that also he shall reap,because he who is sowing to his own flesh, of the flesh shall reap corruption;"

That principal of giving money to recieve money is far from being spiritual, but is rather greedy. Whatever happened to giving and expecting nothing back? That is not being taught today. Preachers tell you to give and stand in faith that God will bless you with money.

This principal is not found anywhere in the NT. It started with a certain preacher roughly 60 years ago, which I will not name, and has been abused to the fullest to fill the pockets of wolves in sheep clothing.

2005/3/16 22:40
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Yes, Thank you Brothers, I am very aware of the the error in so many preachers today, thats why I'm wanting to know soundly what Biblical Prosperity is. I belive God's heart is to bless you, he loves you (yes i know about His wrath too). I guess what I'm dealing with is that I am looking around at other church's and tonight the church I went to (ive been to a couple of times) spoke some on prosperity.. He did preach about seperation and a pure mind. The Pastor there seems to be very concecrated to God, more so than many pastors I've seen in the area.

Ohh.. brothers I'm just looking for a place to hear the pure Word of God. The church is so poluted with self-centeredness.

The purest Gospel being preached (that I have heard around here) is at my hometown. I'm in college now. It makes me want to go home...Im in the heart of the Bible-Belt (Arkansas). The town I am in has SOOOO many churches. Its even a dry county. Thank God for preachers that preach the pure undefiled Word Of God!

2005/3/16 23:03Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: Prosperity!

Just a quick thought, being prosperous is not exclusively money related. The question was, what is biblical prosperity? It is [b]abounding[/b] in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ in every area of our lives, mentally, physically, spiritually, socially, and financially. Its got more to do with the overflow that comes out of our lives. That is what I think biblical prosperity.

Speak to you guys on Monday again,

2005/3/16 23:04Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

On two occasions it tells us that Joseph prospered; the first time when he was a slave, the second when he was a prisoner. In each setting he had nothing of his own possession, but was prosperous.

Here are some older thoughts of mine if you have the time to listen; Hezekiah

2005/3/17 3:36Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

PreachParsly wrote:
Well what I have been dealing with is that I dont agree with all the focus on money from so many "prosperity" preachers and I feel like I need a balance and sound understanding of prosperity. I dont want to think a preacher is all about money or wrong just because he mentions being prosperous. Are there any sermons out there about the blessings of God or the prosperity of God?

"True prosperity doctrine" is all about balance. God wants us to prosper (not be in lack) in all things. Be they financial, emtional, physical, or social. To me, the ultimate expression of prosperity is "knowing Him". I believe the Paul hit the nail on the head, when he decribed the locality of knowing him, that being "in the fellowship of his sufferings".

As far as sermons on this theme that brings a bit of balance to the "word of Faith" kind of thing, check out:
[url="https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=3698"]One Thing You Lack[/url] (Art Katz Complitaion)
[url="https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=4853"]Baptism in Idolatry[/url] by Ray Comfort

As far as "Biblical Economics", I've posted an article in an earlier forum, [url="https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=2755&forum=36&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=1"]What's so bad about money?[/url]. There are a couple of sermons by Wilkerson on the site that give a good bit of balance (ie, not giving the impression that money is evil...but simply dangerous). In essence, I view money alot like dynamite. In the wrong hands, it can take out alot. But it beats digging with a shovel:-).

Blesings (mind the pun).

2005/3/17 5:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy