SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons :  GROWING UP IN CHRIST

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

GROWING UP IN CHRIST

It is the great need for the church today as always, to be all that Christ wants us to be, to be mature and of full stature.

It is obvious that there is great difficulty for us to come to a consensus over a number of issues. We very soon find out that we interpret the Scriptures in various ways. Even over individual words, we can disagree to the meaning. It is vital for us to be able to rightly divide the word of truth2Tim2v15. It is obvious that we can not both be right when we reach a point of strong divergence. Who is right? We can debate for ever, each side never moving closer to the other.

The thing that is needed is for us to help and encourage each other to increase our powers of discernment and we are never finished with the task. We are to grow more and more like Christ, until He returns. But there is a place to be in, not as a final "I've reached the zenith" place, but one where we are able to rightly divide the word in maturity and understanding, being able to discern the deeper spiritual meanings behind the words so that they bring life to us and to others.

Heresy is classed as works of the flesh by Paul.He talks about the carnal Christian as one who is dominated by the flesh in 1Cor3v1-3:-

And I brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto CARNAL even as unto BABES IN CHRIST. I have fed you with milk and not with meat for hitherto ye were not able to bear it neither yet now are ye able. For ye are yet CARNAL for whereas there is among you envying and strife and division are ye not CARNAL and walk as men? For while one saith I am of Apollos? Are ye not CARNAL?

The flesh denotes everything that is contrary to the Spirit. For some helpful explanations as to what flesh means let us look at Weymouth's notes in his translation of the Bible.

The flesh ie our lower self, not just of the body but also of the mind in the degree in which that consists of merely earthly thoughts, feelings, affections, appetites and ambitions. The Apostle gives the name 'flesh' to the whole of this earthly nature, especially so long as it remains sinful ie continues in rebellion against the higher nature which is its God appointed ruler

Jessie Penn-Lewis says in the 'Conquest of Caanan':-

Hatred, envy, bad temper, ill natured talk, worldly ambition, pride, selfishness, self righteousness, self will, unbelieving and rebellious thoughts of God, laziness, an indisposition to pray, deficiency in courage or straightforwardness, all excessive social or domestic affections, all false patriotism, all unhealthy curiosity, and undue pursuit of knowledge, are manifestations of the 'flesh' or sinful earthly nature, equally with grosser and more animal indulgences

Paul tells of the troubles with the flesh in Romans7v18:-

For I know that in me (that is in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing FOR TO WILL IS PRESENT WITH ME, but how to perform that which is good, I find not.

I have used capitals for some of Paul's words to show that he is speaking his experience as a Christian, prior to him finding the answer to this. He explains further in Romans8v5-9.

For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh but they that are after the spirit the things of the spirit. For to be carnally minded is death but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is emnity against God for it is not SUBJECT TO THE LAW OF GOD neither indeed can be. So they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

So the flesh is still in him and he may, according to his choice, 'walk after the flesh' or 'walk after the spirit' as Paul tells the Galations in ch5v16:-

This I say then, walk in the spirit and you shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh, for the flesh lusteth against the spirit and the spirit against the flesh, and these are contrary one to another so that you cannot do the things that ye would

In the first case he is a carnal Christian, in the second a spiritual Christian. Victory over the flesh will be a habitual experience of a believer who walks in the Spirit. Romans 8v4:-

That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us who walk not after the flesh but after the spirit

Gal5v16:-

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh

How to walk in the Spirit? Standing on Romans 6 means declaring and deciding that you are dead to the world and to all that the god of this world brings to you. We must stand in a death position to all the desires of the flesh.

God says to us every day 'See I have set before thee this day, life and good and death and evil' Deut30v15. Choose thee today whom thou will serve.

2013/6/27 4:30

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy