Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Your God is too small

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Your God is too small

I started this discussion in the lounge, perhaps it should be here. My question was why is God not moving like He did in the days of old? Has is power waned? I mean we have so much in terms of resources to teach people about Him and so on that it's ridiculous and it's crazy how much we know of Him. We look with wonder and awe at the experiences that people like Saul (paul), Moses, Joseph Abraham etc had. Should we not be having similar experiences or even greater experiences now that we have access to God through Christ? Should the church not be a more powewrful entity in this world? I mean back in the days of the inception of the church they were hunted down like dogs and many were killed yet today the world could care less about what we are doing. WHERE HAS ALL THE FIRE GONE???!!!!

2005/3/16 14:39Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Your God is too small

Quote:
I mean back in the days of the inception of the church they were hunted down like dogs and many were killed yet today the world could care less about what we are doing. WHERE HAS ALL THE FIRE GONE???!!!!

Brother these are some great questions and I appreciate your heart. I have been asking myself these same questions of late over and over again. There is something in me that is seeming to say that something "radical" and "extreme" needs to happen in our lifes. We will not get back to that place without "suffereth violence" to our flesh, world and devil. Without a vision a people perish, so it's great the Lord is giving you this heart to seek these things and have an experience of true communion and relationship with the Lord as the early church had.

"The young Church, like all young creatures, is appealing in its simplicity and singleheartedness. Here we are seeing the church in its finest youth, valiant and unspoiled-a body of ordinary men and women joined in an unconquerable fellowship never before seen on this earth. [b]Yet we cannot help feeling distrubed as well as moved, for this surely is the Church as it was meant to be. It is vigorous and flexible, for these are the days before it ever became fat and short of breath through prosperity, or muscle-bound by overorganization[/b]."
-J.B. Phillips

"These men did not make 'acts of faith,' they believed; [b]they did not 'say their prayers,' they really prayed[/b]. They did not hold conferences on psychosomatic medicine, they simply healed the sick. But if they were uncomplicated and naive by modern standards, we have ruefully to admit that they were open on the God-ward side in a way that is almost unknown today. "
-J.B. Phillips

I believe God is wanting to refine and purify us to put us into the place where we can once again be fruitful as the early Church was. It is not complicated, we need to have our mind renewed and get back to the simplicity that is in Christ.

I am reminded of the words of Jesus:

[b]Matthew 17:17 (NKJV)[/b] - Then Jesus answered and said, "O [b]faithless[/b] and peverse generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him here to me."

[b]Matthew 16:8 (NKJV)[/b] - But Jesus, being aware of it, said to them, "O you of [b]little faith[/b], why do you reason among yourselves because you have brought no bread?

Are we allowing the spiritual realities and eternal destinies of people to guard and guide our Christian walk? or are we being faithless and unbelieving towards these things?

2005/3/16 17:42Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Another thread that started before this one with the same subject matter is: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4944&forum=35]Today's God is far too small[/url]

2005/3/16 21:08Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

Quote:
Brother these are some great questions and I appreciate your heart. I have been asking myself these same questions of late over and over again. There is something in me that is seeming to say that something "radical" and "extreme" needs to happen in our lifes. We will not get back to that place without "suffereth violence" to our flesh, world and devil. Without a vision a people perish, so it's great the Lord is giving you this heart to seek these things and have an experience of true communion and relationship with the Lord as the early church had.

you know bro, I think we have gotten too comfortable and we need a kick in our complacency. I mean we are content to say as a generation that we have so much information on God and we can do this and that and the other thing. We have so much and yet we do so little. We should be the generation that should be doing much much more than the apostles ever did because not only do we have the holy spirit, but we also can be inspired by the work they did, it should remind us that God will see His work done.

We have become so used to to hearing of God's providence in the flesh so we can live on earth that when someone comes with a testimony of what he has witnessed the Lord doing in SPIRIT, we write it off as lunacy. Of course it is good for us to hear of such but that is milk and we need to be eating MEAT. We need to be sinking our teeth into the very meat of what God has for us in SPIRIT.It's as if we are limiting God to provisions for the flesh.

Quote:
"These men did not make 'acts of faith,' they believed; they did not 'say their prayers,' they really prayed. They did not hold conferences on psychosomatic medicine, they simply healed the sick. But if they were uncomplicated and naive by modern standards, we have ruefully to admit that they were open on the God-ward side in a way that is almost unknown today. "

I think the above statement just sums it all up, our brains have replaced God. Everything must be explained away or rationalized and anything outside the realm of what is percieved to be ok is lunacy ( I think I like that word)God is so much more dynamic than we think He is. If only we would reach for Him in spirit and not in our heads.

Quote:
I believe God is wanting to refine and purify us to put us into the place where we can once again be fruitful as the early Church was. It is not complicated, we need to have our mind renewed and get back to the simplicity that is in Christ

Now this refining will not be a picnic...it will be by fire and lots of so called "Christians" simply won't be able to hack it and will fall by the wayside. We need to hold on tightly to God, this boat is abot to get rocked in a way that is unprecedented.

Quote:
Matthew 17:17 (NKJV) - Then Jesus answered and said, "O faithless and peverse generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him here to me."

Faithless we are and perverse too contrary to the belief of some that the above passage pertained only to the people of that time.

Quote:
Are we allowing the spiritual realities and eternal destinies of people to guard and guide our Christian walk? or are we being faithless and unbelieving towards these things?

I think the latter because we are so far gone from worshipping God in spirit and in truth that the very mention of spirit ruffles feathers. I mean it's become uncomfortable to worship God in such a manner because it is not the norm any more.However this will soon go with the refining of the church.

thanks for your response bro, I've just been feeling urged to speak on these things.

2005/3/16 22:04Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
We should be the generation that should be doing much much more than the apostles ever did because not only do we have the holy spirit, but we also can be inspired by the work they did, it should remind us that God will see His work done.

Not to question you that much brother but what are [b]you[/b] doing about it?

Quote:
I think the latter because we are so far gone from worshipping God in spirit and in truth that the very mention of spirit ruffles feathers. I mean it's become uncomfortable to worship God in such a manner because it is not the norm any more.However this will soon go with the refining of the church.

What do you exactly mean by this? as in more spirit led services and contemprary worship?

Quote:
thanks for your response bro, I've just been feeling urged to speak on these things.

Amen, I think we should be talking about these things much more then we do, its the reality of where we are at as a church in this day. An awareness needs to go out and also an urgency for us to change and become that church that is pleasing in the sight of God.

2005/3/16 22:15Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

Quote:
Not to question you that much brother but what are you doing about it?

For right now I'm being led to put this out there. Much of what God has me doing is in private. If you are interested shoot me an email and I will tell you about it. But your question brings about a most excellent point. We have a knack for identifying problems but a reluctance to do anything about them. We tend to not to want to get involved in anything that may get our hands dirty...

Quote:
What do you exactly mean by this? as in more spirit led services and contemprary worship?

Well I think that our worship of God should be in spirit and truth and that the spirit rather than tradition should dictate how the service goes. The rigidity of the church structure as it is doesn't allow free movement of the spirit that well. It seems that we must have a certain order to things and the spirit may behave in a chaotic manor. Contemporary services are all good as long as it is the spirit leading them, in this case the certainly we should have more of them. Of course there is the "we've always done it this way and never done that before" syndrome to deal with.

God will soon send out His prophets in an unprecedented way and we need to be able to recognize the spirit which will bring them forth lest we reject them and the messages they carry.

2005/3/16 22:39Profile

Re:

"The question is not 'where is the Lord God of Elijah?' but rather 'where are the Elijahs of God?' " Leonard Ravenhill

2005/3/16 22:44
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Well I think that our worship of God should be in spirit and truth and that the spirit rather than tradition should dictate how the service goes. The rigidity of the church structure as it is doesn't allow free movement of the spirit that well.

I don't necessarily agree with this. There have been powerful revivals sent to places where there was a very strong ridigity in worship and form of service. One that comes to mind is Jonathan Edwards and the revival movement through Him and Duncan Campbell in the hebrides. I think the emphasis needs to be in the hearts of men. If everyone was revived personally then the worship will be in spirit and truth no matter how the outward form of service or church is like.

Quote:
God will soon send out His prophets in an unprecedented way and we need to be able to recognize the spirit which will bring them forth lest we reject them and the messages they carry.

Very true there are people being raised up to bring a message to the Church but in this dispensation the Holy Spirit individually is speaking to hearts in a most powerful way. I think we need to be weary of hearing from men because in the last times there will be many false teachers and prophets:

[b]Matthew 24:4b (NKJV)[/b] - Take heed that no one decieves you.

Many of the lifes of men of God that have passed on are still speaking to the church, even some speakers on this site. I think A.W. Tozer, Leonard Ravenhill and some others on this site have a message that we need to still take heed. I would guess that most of the people God raises up will be re-telling the same message they did about 40 years ago, because we still haven't moved on as a church and experienced revival. They needed revival badly when Tozer was alive how much more now do we need revival!

2005/3/16 22:48Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

Quote:
I don't necessarily agree with this. There have been powerful revivals sent to places where there was a very strong ridigity in worship and form of service. One that comes to mind is Jonathan Edwards and the revival movement through Him and Duncan Campbell in the hebrides. I think the emphasis needs to be in the hearts of men. If everyone was revived personally then the worship will be in spirit and truth no matter how the outward form of service or church is like.

Greg
I meant to say tradition in the sense that one sticks to tradition because one feels it pleases God rather than being lead to do so by the spirit. you spoke the words I left out.

Quote:
Very true there are people being raised up to bring a message to the Church but in this dispensation the Holy Spirit individually is speaking to hearts in a most powerful way. I think we need to be weary of hearing from men because in the last times there will be many false teachers and prophets:

We should be on guard but not synical. We should test spiritual things in the spirit rather than try to rationalize them with our minds because that sets us up for failiure. In the spirit, the testimonies of men can be verified or refuted. We tend to let our minds get in the way in this department I think.

Quote:
Many of the lifes of men of God that have passed on are still speaking to the church, even some speakers on this site. I think A.W. Tozer, Leonard Ravenhill and some others on this site have a message that we need to still take heed. I would guess that most of the people God raises up will be re-telling the same message they did about 40 years ago, because we still haven't moved on as a church and experienced revival. They needed revival badly when Tozer was alive how much more now do we need revival!

I think you hit it there. There are some messages from past messengers from God which we need to heed more than ever. We are in desperate need of a revival, but how desperately do we want it though?

2005/3/17 0:12Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

Quote:
The question is not 'where is the Lord God of Elijah?' but rather 'where are the Elijahs of God?' " Leonard Ravenhill

I think after reading about the life of Elijah, noone is particularly keen to live like that, save for the chariot of fire bit.

2005/3/17 0:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy