SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Being a disciple of Christ and Worthy of Him

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
romanchog

Being a disciple of Christ and Worthy of Him

Scripture tells us that true DISCIPLES (NKJV):

If anyone desires to come after Me, let Him deny himself, pick up his cross and follow Me. Matthew 16:23.
If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and his own life, he CANNOT be my disciple. Luke 14:16
Whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me CANNOT be my disciple. Luke 14:27. (Jesus says that we must "count the cost" of following Him. Luke 14:28-32.)
Whoever does not forsake ALL the he has CANNOT be My disciple. Luke 14:33.
If you abide in My Word you are My disciples indeed. John 8:3.
By this all will know that you are My disciples if you love one another. John 13:35.
By this is My Father is glorified that you bear much fruit so you will be My disciples. John 15:8

To be WORTHY of CHRIST:
He who loves their father or mother or son or daughter more than me is not worthy of Me. Matthew 10:37.
If anyone comes after Me and does not hate his father, mother, wife, children, brothers, sisters and EVEN HIS OWN LIFE he is not worthy of Me. Luke 14:26.
Whoever does not take up his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. Matthew 10:38.

---
This is a call to "radical" devotion to Christ (in David Platt's words). Our devotion to Jesus must be greater than our devotion to our families. We are called to give up everything, even our safety, to be willing to be sent out as a sheep among wolves, to be willing to be persecuted just as He was persecuted. Matthew 10:16, John 15:20.

I don't see that Christ is saying that this is a voluntary thing. Either we do these things and are His disciples or we are not His disciples.

Are we willing to really become His disciples? Are we willing to support those who do (instead of calling them extremists, unwise, reckless, impractical, etc.)?

2013/6/19 21:57Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy