SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Terri Schiavo, death by starvation, please pray for her

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

The scripture doesn't apply as Terri DID, for all intents and purposes, speak for herself...she said don't keep me alive like this.

Sorry, I did not know she could even speak guess I have not been following this that close, so why if she said this is there such a big deal?

2005/3/25 15:35Profile
Compton

Re: Living Will

Quote:
Finally, she's getting what she asked for. It is justice.

Quote:
...I did not know she could even speak guess I have not been following this that close, so why if she said this is there such a big deal?

There is no record of her saying anything regarding her wishes on this subject matter. Her husband testified of an offhand comment she made while they were watching a movie together over 15 years ago.

Had she left instructions in a living will there wouldn't be the need for this tragic circus. The issue would be black and white, at least from a legal perspective. As it is, all the courts had to go by is the word of her husband. My guess isn't that they weren't wanting to see Terri die as much as they were wanting to see a 15 year old problem go away.

The question I have is this: if they decided her death is humane, then why not do it humanely with an injection instead of starvation? You know, like we do for sick animals.

I suppose they had to save that logical step for the next court case...

MC

2005/3/25 16:25Profile
Angyl

Re:

hafta agree with the previous post in that I think it would make more sense to "put her down" rather than let her linger into eternity like this.

On the other hand, I CAN see their somewhat warped distinction that one is killing, the other is just letting her go. For example, if Terry were perfectly alive and conscious and refusing to eat, starving herself to death, we would not be injecting her to kill her faster. We'd legally be bound to just let her starve herself to death. Her state of consciousness doesn't really matter. The judges had to make a decision whether or not those were really her wishes and that's it.

And based upon the testimony of her husband [b]and other family members[/b] it was decided that it was her wish not to be kept alive.

I for one am glad that they are focusing mainly on the spouse's wishes in the case of no previous written directive. I think that's how it SHOULD be, for the person you marry is the person that knows you best (or should). If we started letting in the opinions of grandparents, parents, and siblings, children, etc overiding the spouse, that's a nasty can of legal worms.

Not that it helps in my case. My wife, who is on the opposite side of me on this issue has made it clear there's no way she'd ever pull a plug on me if i were in that state...

erego, my living will will be plain (that I want to die) and also emphasize that the final decision should be up to my MOTHER...not my wife. (Mom agrees with me).

2005/3/25 16:47Profile
bjladd

Re:

I don't think God would consider it suicide to reject artificial life-support. If God didn't work a miracle in my life and I was hooked up to a machine, *please* pull that plug and let me be with Jesus for eternity. I'm glad for Terri.

2005/3/25 18:22Profile
earnestlycontend

Flinstone, GA

Re:

I'm not against allowing death to take its course, but from the evidence I've heard she's far from a vegetable.

The problems I have with her being starved or dehydrated to death are:

1) it's not humane. From what I understand, they will not even allow the family to attempt to feed her or give her water orally. From what I've heard, after the accident she could eat and drink but her care deteriorated so she deteriorated.

2) I don't think the husband has the best wishes of Terri in mind. I think he's in it to get rid of his wife. He has two kids by another lady? while supposedly still being married to Terri.

3) What about her salvation? Is she saved? If she dies without Christ, things only get worse for her if we cause her death by pulling her feeding tube.

- To answer the previous post on her coming back cussing those that were trying to save her: if she's coming back cussing - she's not a Christian.

I'm voting for life here considering that she still seems to interact with her family and she didn't leave a will that stated she didn't want to live if she had to have a feeding tube.

2005/3/25 20:21Profile
Matt25

Athens Ga

Re:

For the last time:

Terri was not on a "machine". There was a straw stuck in her side that they pushed food through. For someone on "life support" she sure has lasted a long time since they "pulled the plug" don't you think???? 7 days and still counting. I don't care what the "media" tells you. Do more research. She was far from a vegetable and was not on "life support". This is state sanctioned murder.

Sadly, the soldiers at the foot of the cross treated Jesus better. At least they offered him vinegar/gall which was a pain killer (Jesus refused of course). Terri is dying of starvation/dehydration and they won't allow so much as a drop of water to touch her tongue. We are more barbaric than the Romans. Imagine that in this "enlightened, civilized" society we have...

2005/3/25 22:42Profile
Angyl

Re:

Quote:
- To answer the previous post on her coming back cussing those that were trying to save her: if she's coming back cussing - she's not a Christian.

What a wonderful world you must live in where all Christians are perfect and never get upset or lose their temper ;-)

There's a lot of propoganda running around about Terry and her condition and what her husband did or did not do for her. The OFFICIAL court documents tell a wholly different story than the ones floating around about him being a monster. The research done by the independent researchers appointed by the court when this whole mess started show that Michael spent YEARS and very much money trying to care for his wife and improve her condition immediately after this happened to her. It was only when such methods failed repeatedly did he finally opt to do [b]WHAT SHE ASKED HIM TO DO[/b] which is let her go.

Many on the Religious Right (of which I am a member) cry "compassion" for her because she is starving to death. I likewise cry compassion in saying let her go. You focus too much on this world and not the things beyond. I don't know how any Christian can maintain their sanity when if they live their lives feeling that a week or more without food is not worth enduring to meet their Lord face to face. Look beyond the meager body and see the greater picture through God's eyes.

Paul wrote that [i]To die is gain[/i] He didn't say "To die peacefully in your sleep is gain" He said death, period, and he wrote this while facing some form of hideous death by torture for all he know. Those Christians in the NT knew what persecution and painful death was all about, yet they did it praising God all the while. Why? Because [b]HOW YOU DIE IS IRRELEVANT![/b] You are going to be with the Lord. That thought alone should fill your soul with a bliss that transcends all worry or fear or pain.

Many see Terri's parents as selfless, caring wonderful people who just want to care for their daughter. Not I. I see them as selfish and of little faith. They don't want to keep Terri for Terri's sake, they want to keep her for [b]THEIR[/b] sake.

And as for whether or not Terri is saved. We know she was a practicing Catholic (which doesn't tell us everything), but I'd say it's a fairly safe bet that she is, and if she isn't...another twenty years hooked up to tubes with your cerebral cortex melted (read totally unaware of your surroundings and the fact that you're alive/human), isn't going to change her desitny much at all.

2005/3/25 22:51Profile
Matt25

Athens Ga

Re: Oh and two more things...

Only ONE judge has heard any of the evidence and that is judge Greer. Please stop referring to "the courts" because only ONE judge has looked at this case and it's been the same judge for the LAST 7 YEARS. All of the appeals that have been made in the last week have been an attempt to get a new hearing. The appeals courts aren't doing anything but attempting to see if the case needs to be reheard on a technicality. They are not rehearing any testimony and are not looking at any of the evidence. This same judge, in 1998, didn't issue a restraining order for a woman against her husband because of a technicallity and the woman's husband stabbed her to death a few days later [url=http://www.theempirejournal.com/021705sj_schiavo_judge_greer_tur.htm]Judge Greer misses another one...[/url]

Also, Terri's "husband" has been living with another woman since 1993 and has fathered 2 children with her. His motives for wanting her to die are extremely suspect.

Most people are completely unaware of what's really going on with Terri Schiavo because they are trusting ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN and the like for their news. These news organizations are withholding this info because they are sympathetic to assisted suicide and euthanasia. Hitler loved those things too...Just research his "T-4" program.

2005/3/25 22:58Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Well she will be going before the ultimate supreme court here soon that will vote life! eternal life! no more suffering. I do agree with one poster "death by starvation?" with things like this happening, I just pray it won't be long before the Supreme Judge returns to take us out of this
sad Country that offers liberty and justice for all except for Terri Schiavo, Judges rule this Country and if you don't think so turn on you TV if you can stand it for a minute or two and see for yourself. Government for the people yea wake me up when this becomes real.

2005/3/25 23:54Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: pssst, Have you heard

Quote:

Matt25 wrote:
Most people are completely unaware of what's really going on with Terri Schiavo because they are trusting ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN and the like for their news.

So where are you getting your info from?

If you are a family friend or even part of the family, then you could make a comment like that. Everyone to a lesser or greater degree is affected by the media bias which they hold to.

2005/3/25 23:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy