SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : And what about John 13:1-20

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

And what about John 13:1-20

I read Hezwelling's post on the on the head covering thread and went to the passages about foot washing. I do not know if the brother was serious about a foot washing movement. But the more I look at these passages the more I see they have merit.

For one thing we have the Son of God himself stating we should wash one another's feet (Jn13:14). Jesus said he left an example for us to follow (Jn 13:15). He also said a servant is not above his master (Jn 13:16). And we would be blessed if we did them (Jn 13:17).

Now I am wondering if we believers are not missing something here. Some are saying it takex courage to wear the head covering. That may be true. But how about washing someone's stinky feet. Not only does that take courage but humility and a blow to our pride.

Is foot washing something we should return to? Do any churches practice this? I am beginning to think this is something we should look at. Simply because Jesus did it.

Some thoughts from the bear den.

Bearmaster.

2013/6/15 23:42
proudpapa

Re: And what about John 13:1-20

Hi Bear,

Those whom are clean do not need their entire body rewashed, but they do tend to get some dirt between their feet and need their feet washed.

Washing anothers feet or in my case having my feet washed by another (my feet are almost bleeding right now from a bad case of athletes foot) is a very humbling act, The dirt of pride and such, can and often is removed from the literal washing of one anothers feet.

It helps us to break out of our flesh and superficialness.

When done very seriously and not Just ceremonialy it definately can break up the fallow ground, and can be a very Spirtual thing.

Every Church That I have been seriously a part of has practiced it.

2013/6/16 0:15Profile

Re:

Hi Papa. Brother first may God bring healing to your athletes foot. I do agree if this practice of foot washing were done in an attitude of Spirit filled humility, the pride and arrogance of our flesh would be broken. For it seems the Son of God himself is showing that he came not to be served but to serve.

In John 12-1-8, Martha's sister Mary, is already practicing foot washing before Jesus gave the example in John 13. Niece there is profound truth to be explored here.

Bearmaster.

2013/6/16 9:46

Re: And what about John 13:1-20

My dear brothers Blaine and PP,

beloved, I was and am VERY VERY serious about what I wrote in the 'headcovering' post regarding footwashing, as modeled by the Lord Jesus Christ.

and I bless God Blaine, that you picked up on that, as I was grieved to the CORE, to my heart, to see that there is a headcovering "movement". I have nothing against any dear sister that desires to cover her head, but I am utterly mystified why headcovering would be the focal point of any "movement", OVER what should be close to an "ordinance", that is the washing of the saints feet.

I was blessed JUST ONCE, to be able to introduce this, into a house meeting, and I am here to tell you, human words cannot express what went on in that meeting, during the washing of feet.

my brother and his family were headed off into the 10/40 to "tent make" mission.....and 5 days before the Lord's Day, we were praying together, and just being together, and the Holy Spirit, put it in my heart, and I asked him, if I could do that during our house meeting....IF God the Holy Spirit led me..DURING the meeting, as I didn't want it to happen in the flesh....as if we had to "cook" it all up....God HAD to be in it...otherwise forget it!

If God isn't in it....AWAY with it!....so he said, "yes!! of course, Praise Him" (oh this is a precious brother of mine).....(I've told this story before) I first called the "pastor" of this house Church, to tell him, what my brother and I had discussed...in total. but he didn't let me get to the part of being given Release by the Holy Spirit DURING the meeting, he told me he was going to "do a teaching" about footwashing.

this news GRIEVED both my brother and I, because even though we loved this pastor, and he is a dear man of God, loves Jesus, loves the saints...in many ways, it was because of his actions, we meeting in this house.

the "board" of the physical church building had the devil get up in them, and they threw this pastor OUT of the physical church building. the saints that went with him, just wanted to worship the Lord in truth and peace. the pastor though, after many meetings of this body of followers, decided to take the "board" to "secular" court...to sue them.

most of us were opposed to this. This wasn't even my "home" church, which was 30 miles. I was with this Work, because of their Thursday evening intercessory prayer meeting, which was ALSO in the house church...you see, both the "physical building" and the house church were a mile from where I lived, which was a very "new age-y" exurban rural canyon outside Los Angeles....and the Church I was mentored and reared up in, was 30 miles away.

the pastor who sued this "church board" and headed up this new house church was NOT my mentor. He was a dear brother, and he was open to the Thursday intercessory prayer meetings that my soon to departing brother and I had formed in the Lord's Leading....and NOW he wanted to "do a teaching" on foot washing, before we actually washed feet.

He didn't even wait for me to reason with him, that I wasn't EVEN sure the Spirit would give me leave. Of course, I bought the 'implements', which was a large black plastic paint tray, two large plastic pitchers for the warm water, 4 jars of liquid soap, lavender, and a dozen new cotton towels.

long story short, a 100 ton boulder fell onto the only road headed into the canyon, preventing the pastor from giving this "teaching", my brother and I asked Jesus to Pastor the meeting, which swept onto Victory, many heart testimonies, prayers, Scripture readings, Songs of Praise delievered from memory...people weeping, people praising God...Jesus pastored this meeting, there was no disorder....then the Spirit spoke unto my heart, I turned to my brother, and asked him if I could wash his feet, he nodded, and we began...there were 25 of us.....and it was Heavenly...there were no words spoken, It was the Holy Spirit Who told us that men wash men's feet and women wash women's feet...It was the Holy Spirit who told us who to wash next...it was the Holy Spirit who engendered much weeping at this act of humility and Grace.

I cant fully describe it all in human words, except to say God was in it.

as far as this "law suit" was concerned?.....it was a disaster. The "church board", fleshlings all....just LOVED IT.....gave them something to do...it destroyed the pastor's ministry...all of the pagans, and new agers and satan worshippers in this canyon, they also loved it....in short, it was a terrible witness....and to this day, that "church building" still stands as a mute witness to the dark heart of man. God have mercy on that "board"....my brother just returned stateside, Praise God, andi talked with the pastor recently...he faithfully attends a Bible believeing Church, and loves Jesus...he just stumbled, I love him, I always will, but when a Work appears to be going on the rocks of error?...I leave.

that's why that thread about "head covering" grieves me so, as its APPEARS to tied to a new Work...and if I am Led by the Spirit, that something isn't RIGHT IN Christ Jesus...I walk away....I RUN away, because I am not unaware of the schemes of the devil to TRY and divide the Body.

Would to God, we do away with clerical abuse, we do away with man centered liturgy, stale and moldy.....why NOT make foot washing a Spirit Led ordinance?.....instead of tearing at one another over what somebody wears on their head.

God bless you Blaine and PP...isn't Jesus Wonderful?...He's so Lovely and Beautiful...God willing, I would wash both your feet....anyday, as I pray right now, that He bless both your hearts, richly, neil

2013/6/16 10:10
allaboard

Re:

six

2013/6/16 10:11Profile

Re: Hezwelling

Brother a beautiful testimony. It is said in the gospel accounts when Mary washed the feet of Jesus the whole fragrance of the perfume filled the room.

I imagine when saints wash another's feet, the humility and brokeness of one's heart in this practice allows the fragrance of Christ to be manifested.

Brother, likewise, I would gladly wash your feet. I am sure PP would to.

Blaine aka Bearmaster.

2013/6/16 10:23

Re:

Quote:
Like head coverings, I think foot washing was cultural. What would be the equivalent to foot washing in our culture? allaboard

Hope this doesn't seem like I am following you around but at risk of someone saying it here goes.

In answer to your question above. I have no idea really. What I do know is that foot washing like so may outward things is intensely personal and amounts to an invasion of ones bodily privacy if it is undertaken with thoughtlessness. Blaine asked about sisters who would wash smelly feet. Well my lovely wife Helen hates feet with a passion. When we first met I was involved in ministering to the practical needs of homeless men in a night shelter. I somewhat thoughtlessly expected her to come along and participate. All I can say is that she did and survived. For myself I found something about the act of washing someones feet really very humbling. I sensed that those men had to humble themselves to my hands in order to receive the benefit of having their feet relieved of the dirt of the road and the pain of never finding rest. Something about their needing to humble themselves proved more of a blessing than one could easily imagine. Although they almost always resisted the idea at first I used to point out the practical benefit to them. If you had seen their faces afterwards when the slow release of weeks of muscle pain and filth were gently removed you would understand just how personal and intimate an act it is. On that basis they heard about Christ. First the feet then the faith.

On the other hand to have someone force it on you as a type of religious imperative, is really an abuse and a false sense of what the Lord intended when He told Peter to submit or else have no part in Him. It is as always either religiosity or else understanding how to serve others well which lies at the heart of it. Apart from that the cultural practise of foot washing may have as much to do with dirty feet as it has to do with clean floors. Go with the intention of bearing witness of Christ, but wash the feet first and don't neglect the intention.

2013/6/16 10:34

Re: Allaboard

Brother I am not so sure I can dismiss footwashing as cultural as I once did. As I read through John 13:1-20. we ser the example of the Son of God himself washing the feet of the disciples. And one of those would betray him.

Jesus tells his disciples that I have left you an example that you should follow. Even is we dismiss the practice as first century cultural. Can we neglect the example of the Son of man who said he came to serve? Should this not be the Spirit-filled attitude of our hearts.

You read out of the Gospel Fellowship guide that our conversation should be on Jesus and not outward practices of head coverings and even footwashing. But if foot washing were done in the Spirit. My goodness, I can think of no other practice that would put Jesus more at the focus then this practice of humility. The practice to wash someone else's feet. Perhaps even the feet of your enemy.

As usual my thoughts still being walked out on this.

Bearmaster.

2013/6/16 10:38

Re: Andrew

Brother agree. I am emphasing that the act of foot washing, as well as any act of serving, must be done in the power of the Spirit. For Jesus said that apart from him we can do nothing. Any less than tbis is dead religion.

May God bless you as you minister to homeless men. For surely this is what the Savior himself would do.

Bearmaster.

2013/6/16 10:50
allaboard

Re:

five

2013/6/16 11:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy