Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Religion in England

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Religion in England

This morning I saw a 90 second news release covering the state of religion in the U.K. It stated that only 5% of the population attend church regularly. It then reported that in Manchester England, merchandise stores are having pastors from various backgrounds come into the stores as part of a service that they offer to the consumer. The story also noted that these stores were trying to recruit local Islamic leaders too.

Is this an acurate description of the state of Christianity in England today or is it propaganda?

In Christ
Jeff

2005/3/15 11:59Profile
wallrepairer

Re: Religion in England

Quote:
Is this an acurate description of the state of Christianity in England today or is it propaganda?

I am from the UK. I cannot report on Manchester as indeed I haven’t heard of those things you report but would be interested in hearing more about what was said.

I can only tell you what I see and hear around me but I can report however that England is in dire straights. We have high levels of crime, suicide, teen pregnancy, unemployment, deprivation and immorality.

Church attendance is very low. Sundays are for car boot sales and watching TV. Our children are taught in this land of equality that Jesus is just as important as all the Hindu gods, Mohammed and any other god of any other religion. Many children have never even stepped inside a church and have only heard of Jesus in terms of a baby we celebrate at Christmas.

The church is ailing.
It is meant to be a light in this darkness but it fails to even glow.
It is meant to be a voice to those in need of direction but it is silent.
It is meant to lead others into the love of God and instead it points its finger of judgement.
It is meant to be a place for those who hunger and thirst, but you leave church even hungrier and thirstier than when you went in.
It is meant to be a place of safety but you are shot at by friendly fire if you are even noticed at all.

Many have jumped on the bandwagon of Cell/G12 in an attempt to build mega churches. Many of those churches are now failing and either closing the doors or letting the broken, disillusioned Christians quietly out of the back doors so that the failure cannot be seen.

The churches lack the presence and power of God. They lack the power and presence because they never hear the call to repentance and holiness. They try to do it in their own strength because they cannot bear to ask God for his help as it is too costly to their flesh. They close their ears to the needs of those who don’t know God and huddle for safety in the confines of the church walls. All around the light is fading in England….

It was once a nation that sent missionaries to convert the heathen world and now it stands on the sidelines watching those nations it once took the Gospel to, experiencing revival. It has itself become a heathen nation!

We have a nation that is on its knees. Instead of praying whilst it is on its knees it is stuck in its pride and blindness and apathy.

A few have started to pray…to seek God, but they are regarded as rebels and non-conformists. . Many of them are now Out-of-Church Christians, waiting for God to bring them back from the desert.

When you pray for your nation, pray for England.

I leave you with my prayer. A prayer from an English person on her knees.

REVIVAL IN ENGLAND

We kneel before you humbly awakened,
Pour out your mercy for this nation.
We shall cry aloud and we’ll persevere,
We’ll soak this nation with our tears.

We ask for repentance to flow in our hearts.
We ask you to cleanse us and your spirit impart.
Lord how we’ve fallen from your grace and your plans,
Walls are in ruins and in the gap we now stand.

O Lord, pour out revival in England,
Come and restore our land.
This country needs you as its Saviour and King
We’re waiting on you hear our cry.

2005/3/15 16:53Profile
Rahman

Brother Jeff,

if you remember there was a discussion some time ago about the state of Christianity in Europe as a whole ... i'd posted a website that gave stats of the precipitious drop of church attendance and belief in God in W. Euro countries but can't find it now ... But it stands to reason that since the Revived Roman Empire of Western Europe will wind up becoming the seat of antichrist for a minute, that there would be no real presence of God there to stop him ... Western Europe is now secular period, so with God tossed out it can only get worse ...

i put in a search "CHURCH ATTENDANCE STATISTICS IN THE UK" and lo and behold the only site i could find with any degree of info is this one apparently listed by some pagan looking Brit named "Vexen" who has probably posted these stats in demonic glee ... i checked this guys stats against some others and they seem to be in sync, altho this site is a lot more extensive ... A word to the squemish tho, stay on the page that comes up and you'll get only the stats on Christianity in UK, veer off and you'll get links to satanism, etc ...

Religion in Britain
http://www.vexen.co.uk/religion/rib.html

As an aside ... It was that second so called British invasion of America back in the 60's that brought us their pied pipers of the counter culture back then, so that means they were already ahead of us in the decadence department, but from the looks of things the Colonies have taken up the baton and is running fast with it ... Without a massive rescue of America by Holy Spirit in REVIVAL, i guess it'll be like father, like son ... Huh? ...

Please Lord, don't let your Church in America fall any lower than we already have ... Amen

2005/3/15 17:50Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Br. Rahman wrote:

Quote:
But it stands to reason that since the Revived Roman Empire of Western Europe will wind up becoming the seat of antichrist for a minute, that there would be no real presence of God there to stop him ... Western Europe is now secular period, so with God tossed out it can only get worse ...

I have thought often about Geneva Switzerland as being the city that most represented Babylon. Think about it, all the ruthless leaders of the past and present store their wealth in a city that protects their treasures. The economic strength comes from worshiping the things of this world.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/3/15 18:11Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Dear wallrepairer wrote;

Quote:
It was once a nation that sent missionaries to convert the heathen world and now it stands on the sidelines watching those nations it once took the Gospel to, experiencing revival. It has itself become a heathen nation!

Missionaries from Korea are preaching the gospel in the U.S. You are not alone.

Know that there is always a remnant according to the loving mercies and grace of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/3/15 18:17Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

I'll be in prayer for England. I think if I had the choice to be a missionary somewhere, I'd pick England. It'd be nice to at least get to evangelize there some day. I pray the Lord would open doors for such a chance one day.

2005/3/15 21:18Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Last week I heard an Operation Mobilization speaker who said that "Europe was the only continent where the church was not growing".

You might like to read this that I also posted today.

2005/3/16 3:19Profile
Rahman

Greetings brethren in the matchless name of Jesus!

This is a very interesting subject ...

It's interesting to note that the major christian denominations in England (The C of E, Catholics, Anglican, etc) are in marked decline, while Eastern Orthodoxy, and Pentecostals are on the up swing ...

The following quote from the website i posted explains the rise in Eastern Orthodoxy increasing numbers ...

Quote:
"The only institutional church which has continued to grow has been the Orthodox Church - Greek and Russian - where demand for churches exceeds supply, mainly because of immigration from Orthodox countries".

There's also a increase in Pentecostalism ...

Quote:
"What demands notice is that charismatic Evangelicals (Pentecostals), still one of the smaller groups in the Church, are growing rapidly - by around 6,000 every five years. Evangelical Christians, according to the nomenclature of Religious Trends, are also growing and moving up towards the half million mark. These last two groups are undeniably success stories numerically."

... which might also be in part to Caribbean and African immigration to England ... i dare say that the rise in Pentecostalism in England may also be due in some respects to the "fire in the belly" preaching associated with it, and the reaction of the hearers to zealous (over to some), active participation in personal evangelism, and the adherents faith (hyper to some) in their personal belief of being "gifted" by Holy Spirt in supernatural aspects, to being used as vessels by Holy Spirit, thru which He can manifest His power in the lifting up of the Lamb of God, and the tearing down of satanic strongholds ...

Since our Lord's sending me to a Pentecostal church so many years ago, i have seen a few things that has not set well with my soul, and a few areas where we've difinitely slipped, but i'll never be able to say that even now it's not "active" and downright "exciting" at times ... i can see why since it's inception out of the Azusa St. Revival that it became the fastest growing denom since ...

But here in America i'm begining to wonder, without a fresh outpouring of Holy Spirit, how much longer even Pentecostalism will continue to increase ... Pentecostalism has a tendency to set high marks which was fine when the ultimate reward was as it always should be, the pleasing of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ ... But those high marks are now set to the rewards of health and wealth, and when folk don't recieve health and wealth they drop out ... Jesus make us ALL right with you ... Amen

2005/3/16 9:59Profile
wallrepairer

Thankyou KingJimmy for thinking of England in your prayers. I trust that you will make it as a missionary to England some day.

It would be interesting to hear what God is saying to believers about his plans for the UK or his solutions for the UK. So if you are from the UK why not share what God has said. If you are from another nation but pray for the UK why not share what God has said. Let us pray these things through. This nation is in desperate need. Who knows whether God might even lay before us some keys to unlock change? He tells us to ask...let us ask.

2005/3/16 16:24Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

we do need help in england

2005/4/4 12:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy