SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sealed with that Holy Spirit of Promise

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
pilgrim777

Sealed with that Holy Spirit of Promise

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Paul's is using an analogy of a "sealed document" back then. When you sealed a document, you sealed it with wax and it was sealed until it was delivered to the proper recipient. Paul was using an analogy of an inheritance in a legal will, which would have been properly witnessed and sealed by a representative of the Roman government.

When a document like this is received, the first thing that is observed is whether or not the seal is intact. If the seal was broken then the representative would know that some tampering occurred and the document would be considered void and the inheritance denied.

This is Paul's analogy. We must protect our covenant with God and not seek to break the seal of the Holy Spirit. A GREAT Official (Holy Spirit) seals the document for delivery and the seal is not meant to be broken before that delivery occurs.

Was it possible for a Roman citizen to break the wax seal? Of course it was. This is also true of one who breaks the seal of the Holy Spirit. What? "You can break the seal of the Holy Spirit?" Why of course you can. The Holy Spirit will not deliver you to God against your will. That is why blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is the only sin that cannot be forgiven. It breaks the seal of the Holy Spirit. If you look at various verses that speak of falling away, you will see that this sin against the Holy Spirit is linked to Apostasy.

Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Heb 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Heb 10:29 29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

This is why Paul warned us not to tamper with our seal. Are you tampering with your seal? Are you allowing known sin to rule over you?

Eph 4:30
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

This is a big problem with Christendom, today. A false security is being preached. Once sealed, always sealed. The Word of God does not agree nor support that. Remember, these letters are written to Followers of Christ. The Early Church did not believe OSAS.

Here are some examples:
1 Tim 1:19-20
19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:
20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

Paul warned Timothy to guard his faith. He stated clearly that some had abandoned their faith and shipwrecked. Then he named two acquaintances, Hymenaeus and Alexander, who became apostates by blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Did you know that the Word of God says that our faith can be overthrown?
2 Tim 2:16-18
16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;
18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

Hymenaeus was not content to make shipwreck of his own faith. Now, we find him teaching false doctrine [eschatology] and thereby overthrowing the faith of others. I don't know, sounds like he was teaching Preterism, but that's another topi.

2 Tim 4:10
10 For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; ...

Paul warned Timothy extensively about the lure of materialism. Apparently, many believers had quit and become entangled in the lust for money.

1 Tim 6:10
10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

This brings to mind the parable of the Sower. Remember, some fell among "thorns." Jesus said the "thorns" were the cares of this world and the love of money, which after the seed has sprouted, and begun to grow, they choke the Word, and the plant dies.

These examples of Christians who's faith failed because of a love of money or power demonstrate that the warnings in Scripture about falling away are REAL and should be taken seriously.

Here is a conditional promise. Can you tell me what the condition is?

Rom 11:20-22
20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, IF thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

That little word "IF", makes a big difference, doesn't it?

Can you point out the condition in this verse?
1 Cor 15:1-2
1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, IF ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

There's that pesky little word "IF", again.
(Looks like their salvation is linked to perseverance. Kind of like, "he that endures to the end will be saved. Matt 24).

Col 1:21-23
21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:
23 IF ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel,which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Again, we find this in the Scriptures. Another conditional statement. That little word "IF" messes things up again!!

Heb 3:12-14
12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
14 For we are made partakers of Christ, IF we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

"IF", once again. There are many of these in the Scriptures. You may want to look them up.

So, I don't know how you explain Scriptures like these away. I'm sure there is an "explanation" somewhere. But it looks like UNBELIEF will surely ruin us. It is afterall, the opposite of FAITH. But what this passage reveals, is that it can happen to a Believer. A hard heart leads to unbelief and unbelief leads to departing from God (disobedience).

We will be made partakers with Christ IF we hold our initial confidence [or faith] until the end.

Heb 2:1-3
1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.
2 For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward;
3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

I'm really surprised that people do not see these conditional statements in the Scriptures. But, I think the man-made doctrines have blinded them and made these scriptures of "none effect".

"Neglect" is treating something that is precious, casually. It is carelessness. Unfortunately, this is the state of many Christians today. Yet, they think they are in no danger. That is because a false Gospel of false security is being preached and the reason why you cannot tell the difference between the world and the church, today.

James 5:19-20
19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; (Who are the brethren that James is talking to?)

20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

The only death that does not hide a multitude of sins is eternal death, not physical death. Because after physical death, we will all be judged.

Of course people think up all manner of explanations why people fall away. The main excuse is that one was never saved to begin with. That does not cohere with the preponderance of scriptures. What I have outlined for you does agree with the preponderance of Scripture (and experience). Too many of us have known truly born-again people who have departed from the faith. If your man-made doctrine says that cannot happen, then of course it is convenient to say, "they were never born-again".

Don't you think it is way past time to stop playing around with sin and tampering with your "seal?"

Pilgrim

2013/5/18 11:17Profile
passerby

Re: Sealed with that Holy Spirit of Promise

OSAS and the perseverance of the saints, are among the mysteries which christians may never grasp in their lifetime. It does not mean however that the believers of such doctrines are necessarily antinomians or sinful, nor in their original definition and intent encourage wickedness or worldliness.

Taken with a pure heart or in the right perspective, the realization of the assurance of our salvation will strengthen our faith and will encourage us to persevere in holiness for we know that our efforts will not be in vain (though it is really in vain). Do we christians supposed to pursue perfection and holiness so that we can can justify ourselves before God, are we really that righteous and pure? Can even anyone really say that they pursue sinlessness out of pure love of God, absolutely?

What sins in the new or old testament that apparently led to God's rejection, for example, comparing King Saul and King David. If one will look at their lives without understanding Christianity, one may conclude that David committed more sins than Saul, but why Saul was rejected?

Why was Israel rejected or disciplined, is it because they are more wicked than the other nations surrounding them according to common definition of ethics, morality or sin,
or it is because of unbelief perhaps?

2013/5/18 13:56Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Saul was rejected because of an evil heart of unbelief which caused him to depart from the living God.

That is what we are warned of:

Heb_3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

It is really quite simple.

Embracing the cross and abiding in Christ is not automatic. It is a daily act of our will, empowered by the Holy Spirit.

That is why Paul is not just asking but beseeching the church to yield to God.

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Before Israel was rejected they were chastened and disciplined. One can never blame God for doing all that He can to turn us back to Him.

Pilgrim

2013/5/18 14:10Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: The seal of the Holy Spirit

Just another thought on this:

What was it like for God to have his new creation, people created in His image, walking around free in the garden He prepared, that He could visit and talk to. Not robots, but real beings who could ask Him questions, tell of their thoughts, marvel at whatever aspect of their existance they wanted.

Able also to reject the very God who set them free to make choices, which of course they did.

But the original intention for these creatures to communicate with the God who created them was never rescinded. As Christians, our fundamental reality is that the communication with God is restored with Jesus' death and resurrection. When we become believers, the line for communication is open, and we can actually know Him, and increase the relationship through His indwelling Holy Spirit.

To me, "sealed with the Holy spirit of promise" is the witness that comes back to me confirming the covenant I have made. Quite simply, I am a child of God when He tells me I am a child of God!

Up to that point I am an inquirer, a seeker, a sinner in need of grace, a broken man who knows he is dying in sin, a man recognizing that God is holy and beyond my reach.

I repent of my sin, I accept the judgement of condemnation, I bow to His authority, submit myself to His mercy. I am not His child, because I know my sin has made me unworthy of that. His sentencing me to eternal Hell is just and right.

And there I sit, "Without one plea," as the the old hymn is written. But I have submitted a plea, believing that somehow this God-man Jesus loves and wants me- enough that He has been willing to die in my place, to take that punishment I know I deserve.

What will happen... I wait.

And then it comes! His word to me, "I do accept you! You are my child!"

There are as many forms of that promise coming as there are people who receive it, each tailored to fit the repenting soul who asks for it. But I do believe this, that no man is a child of God until he hears this acceptance from God! God reserves the right to declare the holy identity of each of His children, beginning with Jesus Himself with His baptism by John!

"This is My Son, whom I love, and with Whom I am well pleased!" bellowed the voice from the heavens that day. Because Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, needed to hear it the same as we were going to need to hear it!

The seal of the Holy Spirit is our confirmation, an acceptance of our repentance, the surety of our forgiveness, the "real" of our reconciliation with God our Creator and Lord.

Not to get snide here, but it seems to me the doctrine of once saved always saved is simply a cheap imitation doctrine for those who have never really heard these things from God and have no assurance in their hearts that they are the real children of God.

Of course I know I could throw away my salvation, I am very familiar with Ezekiel 18. I also have a profound respect for the wiles of Satan who always lurks to snatch my heart through unforseen circumstances. But- I know Him who is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day!

Now, where have I heard that before??

Whom have I in heaven but Thee? And there is none upon the earth that I desire besides Thee! My flesh and my heart fail, but God is the strength of my life, and my Portion forever.

Now that is eternal security!

2013/6/17 1:04Profile

Re:

Amen, Sidewalk. There is eternal security in the Lord when we are abiding in Him. There is no security when we have left Him to enjoy a life of sin.

I think this is where this discussion usually gets blurred. Who shall separate us from the Love of Christ?

Notice that it implies we have union with Christ (not separated). This is the true meaning of Eternal Security - Union with Christ, abiding in Him. There is absolutely nothing that will separate us. Remain in Him.

We should never give the impression that a person is SAFE, when turning away from the Lord to wallow again in sin.

2Pe 2:19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.
2Pe 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
2Pe 2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
2Pe 2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

2013/6/22 0:57

Re: Sealed with that Holy Spirit of Promise

“Behold, all souls are Mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is Mine. The soul who sins will die. Ezekiel 8:4

Israel has been saved by the Lord
With an everlasting salvation;
You will not be put to shame or humiliated
To all eternity Is 45:17

There is always a consequence to continuous and wilful sin. On the other hand the promises of God wouldn't amount to much if they were not true. Being sealed with the Spirit of promise is the only seal which carries an eternal weight. No one ought to attempt to disturb the contents and no one has the authority or the power to destroy life. Who can separate us from the love of God? Still I guess this will be just one more of those………………...

2013/6/22 3:22
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Who shall separate us?

I have a couple biker friends who moved away to another state, and became part of a church there. After a couple years they ordered some products from me that I make in my business. The bill came to over $500, and now I can't get them to pick up the phone. Apparently, there is no intention to pay what they owe.

Yes I miss the money, I worked hard for it. But most of my grief is the betrayal, and even worse the knowledge that they have cut themselves off from the blessing of God. I wonder what they feel as they make petitions to Him these days? I wonder what they hear back? I stand ready to forgive, but I have not been asked for anything like that. I am glad that they didn't do this to a skeptical unbeliever, I have met people who have been burned by Christians, and a thick extra wall exists between them and comfort of a Savior's arms.

Christians do abandon their promises, do go back to the lifestyle of selfishness and the bitter belief that they are owed something. People who play around with believing in Jesus as Savior, but never really getting that Holy seal of promise. For me, that seal makes me writhe in agony when my steps take me off the path, I want to anything to get back to the comfort of a cleansed conscience!

And I hate the loss of fellowship.

"Father fill two hearts with that passion for you they once had, and let the grief of their loss drive them to a holy confession and repentance. And keep me from anything that doesn't convey the love of Jesus toward my brothers!"

2013/6/22 16:37Profile
passerby

Re:

Yes, there is really no guarantee that we will be saved in the end. No one really knows what lies ahead in the future, if we will continue to abide or not. Maybe one day we will just find ourselves sinning bigtime (with sexual immorality perhaps), or deny christ in face of pain, poverty, and persecution.

Like Peter, we maybe just too presumptuous in saying that
we will follow Christ to the end, only to find out that he had outrightly denied the Lord right then and there.

OSAS is just a myth, there is really no assurance of salvation for christians. Yes, you may have a very good start and running the race well hitherto but the fact is you can be disqualified anytime. John 3:16 is only good up to the time of conversion or whatever you call that.

I really don't know how can I assure you, but one thing is sure, those who will not run the race will never win. So, I think, just try very hard, perhaps you will be strong or lucky enough.

2013/6/23 14:05Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: back to the original premise?

Yo, Passerby!

As you know, we all work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. You are so right about OSAS being a myth, a doctrine that feels like something we wish was true, but is loaded up with problems that can't work in faith.

But assurance is something we can have, not by doctrine but by relationship! As Bearmaster first brought up, we can have a "seal" which is placed by God on your inside. I can't see it, but you can feel it. What I see is you, walking in the love of God and reflecting the character of Christ- being Christ to me. Your walk in faith builds my walk in faith.

And when you see it in me, it confirms back to you the genuineness of the seal. As members of His body, working out love together, we sustain the promise and live with assurance of salvation imprinted on both heart and mind.

Then there was Charles Finney. Yikes, he was so scary! He took this all to another level with a simple prayer that rattled my thinking for a long time.

The prayer?

"God if I can serve you best in Hell, send me there!"

I live with assurance. I agree with Paul's note to Timothy that God is able to hold my committment to the very end. While my flesh is unreliable, there is no command of God too difficult for me- Deut. 30:11 and Romans 10.
John's first letter also, "His commands are not burdensome."

While it in my power to abandon the faith and die in the dreadful consequences connected to that, I serve a God who will never turn from me and wish me harm. A God who has paid a dear price to get me into His eternal dwellings, and has ways to keep me on that path.

So get The Seal, and enjoy living in the assurance He wants you to live in!

2013/6/23 17:20Profile

Re:

Wow! Good stuff, guys. Just checking in this weekend and am reminded that Jesus really meant what He said:

Mat_24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Mar_13:13 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

It makes spiritual sense and is simple to understand.

No doubt, someone will bring up some greek meaning that discounts the plain speech of Jesus.

2013/6/23 20:53

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy