SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Discerning the new holiness teaching v the truth

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Discerning the new holiness teaching v the truth

This thread is meant as an offshoot of the discussion about whether a believer can be freed from sin. There is a great deal of interest in holiness today, and thanks be to God for that. So there is a great deal of teaching about the subject and some very popular speakers around, preaching and writing.

However, we must be very careful because a lot of the teaching will lead us astray from that very strong desire we have in our souls to have a pure heart and walk worthily of the Lord. What is happening I feel, is that although God is moving mightily in power amongst believers inflaming the desire for holiness, this working and conviction, in bringing men to a crisis point, is very very hard and the new holiness teaching, because it allows a relief from the working of the Holy Spirit, is preventing them from going all the way, so it is therefore a deadly foe.

I am so very encouraged by the brethren on Sermon Index who are hungering and thirsting for righteousness and want to share my thoughts and discernment on how to spot the true teaching and to avoid confusion.

You can be reading page after page of this teaching and it all sounds right but amongst the 90% of truth, there is 10% of fatal error which is not always easy to spot. And a little yeast spoils the whole batch.

A lot of these writers have read extensively about the 19th century revivals and Wesley`s teaching and have a good grasp of the basics but they invariably go off on one point into a doctrine of improving the flesh which we know from our study on Romans 6:6 must be crucified. Some will say that the teaching in the past was not complete, and we have further revelation today and will even go so far as to edit the writings of these great saints.

So I hope with this thread we can look at these teachings which depart from that of the time of the great revivals and what I know as traditional holiness teaching which is concerning the destruction of the old nature or old man rather than the other thread where we are looking at the practicalities of what it means to live a holy life.

The teaching which is popular today, is a revolt against what many see in the church, which is a slow and deadly decline in behaviour. The cry is for holiness in the church which in itself is good and it is encouraging to see the word holiness become an accepted part of Christian discussion.

However, the power of God to really change hearts and lives not to mention communities will only come when the truth is preached and that can only happen through the anointed preaching of holy persons so brethren let us go on to holiness in order to serve Christ and the church by bringing in true revival.

One of the signs of the erroneous teaching is that it does not have the cross at its heart. Another clue is that there is a strong emphasis on reading the Bible. Although reading the Bible is very important, it will not normally convict us of sin as we usually read it through various lenses. The preaching of a gradual sanctification, moreover, will not bring us to a crisis point. For that it takes revelation from God and He usually uses anointed preachers who are walking in holiness themselves.

This is the reason why we are not seeing whole communities being struck with a mighty move of God which is the hallmark of true revival. The men who are preaching this new version of holiness are not producing this fruit of revival.

So brethren let us be the ones that Christ will send. Let us strengthen this bond of fellowship and love which is growing here, with our understanding over the death of the old nature which is missing in the new teaching and which is vital. I do feel that God is working amongst us on this forum and is revealing the truth to us.

Another point to look for in the anointed ones, is that they will not be living like other men. They will not be giving in to the lusts of the flesh as far as feeding themselves is concerned and will be training their bodies as instruments to use in the battle for souls. A man who looks like he enjoys the pleasures of the palate, has not bowed down that aspect of his life. It is very important to examine those preaching this subject to see if they are living the life.

I thank my brother Kenneth for leading me to the teachings of J Sidlow Baxter, and I have been reading his book A New Call To Holiness and wonder if this book has been a significant influence in this new holiness teaching. I know of one person who has a web site promoting holiness who seems to have adopted his teachings.

The point of departure is over Romans 6:6 and here is what JS Baxter says :

QUOTE Such are well-meaning statements which, instead of leading to freedom, betray believers into bondage. Being made free "legally" from sin does not free my body or its members in an experiential way from indwelling sin-activities, any more than it freed Paul's "wretched man" who (after coming through Romans 6:6) was still wailing, "Sin which is in my members" (7:23). END OF QUOTE Page 66

This is very much a departure from what Wesley, Finney, Fox and others of revival note taught. Let us not be deceived brethren and let us allow the pure teaching of the Holy Spirit have His way to bring the much needed true revival He desires amongst His people.

WE ARE IN A HOLY WAR!

2013/5/17 6:08

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy