SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Proverbs 3:3-4 - Matthew Henry Commentary Devotional

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Proverbs 3:3-4 - Matthew Henry Commentary Devotional

"3 Let not mercy and truth forsake you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart, 4 And so find favor and high esteem In the sight of God and man."-Proverbs 3:3-4

Commentary: "It is the greatest honor we are capable of in this world to have an interest in the mercy and truth of God. "Write them upon the table of thy heart, as dear to thee, thy portion, and most delightful entertainment; take a pleasure in applying them and thinking them over.'' Or it may be meant of the mercy and truth which are our duty, piety and sincerity, charity towards men, fidelity towards God. Let these be fixed and commanding principles in thee. To encourage us to do this we are assured (v. 4) that this is the way to recommend ourselves both to our Creator and fellow-creatures: So shalt thou find favor and good understanding. 1. A good man seeks the favor of God in the first place, is ambitious of the honor of being accepted of the Lord, and he shall find that favor, and with it a good understanding; God will make the best of him, and put a favorable construction upon what he says and does. He shall be owned as one of Wisdom's children, and shall have praise with God, as one having that good understanding which is ascribed to all those that do his commandments."

My comments: Even as true believers we are sometimes tempted and apt to seek the favor of men above God's favor. In other words, at times we may find ourselves being tempted to compromise our commitment to God and His Word in order to look good in the sight of men. It could be with regard to a job position, peer pressure, ties with certain family members or other relationships(even in church settings among Christians), etc.. During those times we must resolve, like Peter in Acts 5:29, to obey God rather than men. Paul wrote, "For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ."-Gal. 1:10

Commentary: "2. He wishes to have favor with men also (as Christ had, Lu. 2:52), to be accepted of the multitude of his brethren (Esth. 10:3), and that he shall have; they shall understand him aright, and in his dealings with them he shall appear to be prudent, shall act intelligently and with discretion. He shall have good success (so some translate it), the common effect of good understanding."

My comments: At first glance, that may seem to contradict certain scriptures which imply that true believers will be misunderstood and hated by many, both in the world and in the church at times. But this principle of being favored by men should be understood especially within the context of the true remnant Body of Christ. As true believers God has given us His Spirit to be able to discern other spirits, to see if they are from God (1Jn 4:1). When we meet a true child of God the Holy Spirit within us, along with our renewed spirit, bare witness with the believer whom we come in contact with. That should caution us against an extremely sectarian spirit which says, "I'm the only true believer left in my community." Proverbs 18:1 says, "A man who isolates himself seeks his own desire; He rages against all wise judgment."
Even in a more general sense, on a wider scale, true believers are sometimes favored by the heathen and false converts who see their good works. We should be thankful for whatever favor the Lord gives us in the sight of men, but we should not always expect it, for in this world we will be persecuted if we live a Christ-honoring, godly life (2Tim.3:12).

2013/5/6 15:20Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy