SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : PENTAGON: Soldiers who share Christian faith will be court martialed

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
mama27

PENTAGON: Soldiers who share Christian faith will be court martialed

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2013/05/01/Breaking-Pentagon-Confirms-Will-Court-Martial-Soldiers-Who-Share-Christian-Faith

2013/5/1 14:04Profile

Re: PENTAGON: Soldiers who share Christian faith will be court martialed

Wakey, wakey. Uh forum you may want to take a look at this. That is if you can tear yourself from the sin nature debate.

Bearmaster.

2013/5/1 15:49
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

THIS IS PRETTY ALARMING!

Thanks for sharing.

In case it gets taken off of that website ... here is the pasted copy of it:

Breaking: Pentagon Confirms May Court Martial Soldiers Who Share Christian Faith
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Ken Klukowski 1 May 2013, 8:12 AM PDT

The Pentagon has released a statement confirming that soldiers could be prosecuted for promoting their faith: "Religious proselytization is not permitted within the Department of Defense...Court martials and non-judicial punishments are decided on a case-by-case basis...”.
The statement, released to Fox News, follows a Breitbart News report on Obama administration Pentagon appointees meeting with anti-Christian extremist Mikey Weinstein to develop court-martial procedures to punish Christians in the military who express or share their faith.

(From our earlier report: Weinstein is the head of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, and says Christians--including chaplains--sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ in the military are guilty of “treason,” and of committing an act of “spiritual rape” as serious a crime as “sexual assault.” He also asserted that Christians sharing their faith in the military are “enemies of the Constitution.”)

Being convicted in a court martial means that a soldier has committed a crime under federal military law. Punishment for a court martial can include imprisonment and being dishonorably discharged from the military.

So President Barack Obama’s civilian appointees who lead the Pentagon are confirming that the military will make it a crime--possibly resulting in imprisonment--for those in uniform to share their faith. This would include chaplains—military officers who are ordained clergymen of their faith (mostly Christian pastors or priests, or Jewish rabbis)--whose duty since the founding of the U.S. military under George Washington is to teach their faith and minister to the spiritual needs of troops who come to them for counsel, instruction, or comfort.

This regulation would severely limit expressions of faith in the military, even on a one-to-one basis between close friends. It could also effectively abolish the position of chaplain in the military, as it would not allow chaplains (or any service members, for that matter), to say anything about their faith that others say led them to think they were being encouraged to make faith part of their life. It’s difficult to imagine how a member of the clergy could give spiritual counseling without saying anything that might be perceived in that fashion.

In response to the Pentagon’s plans, retired Lt. Gen. Jerry Boykin, who is now executive vice president of the Family Research Council (FRC), said on Fox & Friends Wednesday morning:

It’s a matter of what do they mean by "proselytizing." ...I think they’ve got their defintions a little confused. If you’re talking about coercion that’s one thing, but if you’re talking about the free exercise of our faith as individual soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines, especially for the chaplains, they I think the worst thing we can do is stop the ability for a soldier to be able to exercise his faith.”
FRC has launched a petition here which has already collected over 30,000 signatures, calling on Secretary Hagel is stop working with Weinstein and his anti-Christian organization to develop military policy regarding religious faith.

**UPDATE**

The FRC petition has now exceeded more than 40,000 signatures at the time of this update.

Breitbart News legal columnist Ken Klukowski is senior fellow for religious liberty with the Family Research Council and on faculty at Liberty University School of Law.

2013/5/1 17:14Profile
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Re: THIS IS PRETTY ALARMING!

Also, this is the link to the petition that can be signed by people living in the USA to try to keep it from becoming law:

http://www.frc.org/alert/pentagon-consultant-no-gospel-witness-for-chaplains

It is so chilling to watch the USA that I knew as a child which had full freedom of religion for Christians gradually (in my lifetime) turn into a land that persecutes Christianity. It is almost like a bad dream that you are thinking that you can just wake up and get out of, but it is HAPPENING right before our eyes.

2013/5/1 17:19Profile

Re:

Amen brother. And it is only a matter of time before it is illegal for any believer to share their faith in America.

Persecution is already here. It will only intensify.

Bearmaster.

2013/5/1 17:37
hoohoou

Texas

Re: PENTAGON: Soldiers who share Christian faith will be court martialed

I saw this in the Washington Post. What struck me most about the article was not that a group wanted to make witnessing illegal, but that the harsh rhetoric used in describing witnessing wasn't even questioned. To have witnessing compared to rape and then have a major US newspaper not even bat an eye at the word choice is very disturbing. Christianity is painted as such a hateful and ugly religion, even treasonous and seditious, and those charges are simply accepted. I know that some people think these things. I engage a lot of these people on Twitter and websites. But the fact that these thoughts are now acceptable at the highest levels of government and journalism is extremely troubling.

On a brighter note...

We (Christians) must be doing something right because these were the same charges used to accuse and persecute the early Church. A great book that explains the dichotomy between Church and State is Matthew by Stanley Hauerwas. Our faith is seditious as our God will tear down strongholds. Check out the website of this group, http://www.militaryreligiousfreedom.org/ and read the heading. This country is a stronghold for many.

What we believe now flies squarely in the face of the prevailing culture. Even the weakest Christian among us stands in stark contrast to the cultural norms of this nation.

Man attacks man like a wolf
And cuts his throat in time
This rhythm and this agony
Surround us like a gulf
When men and trees are broken
And flower and weed are one
We fix our gaze and say aha
We toss a rusty token

Man attacks man like man
So brutal is this time
Mohamed Bouazizi is burning
Others like him yearning
Satan’s laugh sounds like a man
Drones are bombing Pakistan
Satan smiles, he comes for supper
In ancient lands our Christians suffer

Man attacks man like a wolf
So set your face like flint
Into the coming winds of change
Into the coming gulf

Isaiah 50:6-9
6 I gave My back to those who strike Me, and My cheeks to those who pluck out the beard; I did not cover My face from humiliation and spitting. 7 For the Lord God helps Me,
Therefore, I am not disgraced; Therefore, I have set My face like flint, and I know that I will not be ashamed. 8 He who vindicates Me is near; Who will contend with Me?
Let us stand up to each other; who has a case against Me?
Let him draw near to Me. 9 Behold, the Lord God helps Me;
Who is he who condemns Me? Behold, they will all wear out like a garment; The moth will eat them.

2013/5/2 8:32Profile
mama27

Re:

Here is a follow-up to the original article....wow!

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/05/02/Pentagon-Disputes-Breitbart-Story-Using-Terms-Contradicted-by-the-Dictionary

2013/5/3 10:13Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Jesus has already conquered this world. He said: “It is finished.” Jesus has already won the war, although we see the carnage of countless battles along the way. Human misery and suffering are the results of these battles. These battles are still important because “faith without works is dead.” We cannot simply sit on the sidelines and forego battle because Jesus Christ has already won the war. But we can use Jesus’ victory over death and sin and the devil as a weapon of faith, to remind ourselves daily that He is already victorious. Then we will remain edified and hopeful, strengthened even during prolonged and difficult battles. This knowledge allowed Paul to overcome death again and again by that strength which is in Jesus Christ our Lord.

2013/5/3 12:41Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy