SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Proverbs 3:1 - Matthew Henry Commentary Devotional

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Proverbs 3:1 - Matthew Henry Commentary Devotional

"My son, do not forget my law, But let your heart keep my commands;"-Proverbs 3:1

Commentary: "This chapter is one of the most excellent in all this book...We are here taught to live a life of communion with God; and without controversy great is this mystery of godliness...We must, (1.) Fix God's law, and his commandments, as our rule, by which we will in everything be ruled and to which we will yield obedience. (2.) We must acquaint ourselves with them; for we cannot be said to forget that which we never knew. (3.) We must remember them so that they may be ready to us whenever we have occasion to use them. (4.) Our wills and affections must be subject to them and must in everything conform to them. Not only our heads, but our hearts, must keep God's commandments; in them, as in the ark of the testimony, both the tables of the law must be deposited."

My comments: As born-again believers in Christ, our underlying motives for keeping God’s commandments are to be those of gratitude toward God, and a holy reverence of Him. It’s been said that we do not serve God FOR salvation, but FROM salvation. In other words, now that we know we are already saved through the blood of His cross, we are to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, knowing that God is working in us both to will and to do for His good pleasure-Phil. 2:12-13. That is basic Christian doctrine, yet we sometimes miss the importance of obedience in our walk with Christ. God is concerned with a complete obedience, not a partial one. If there is any area in our lives that we know falls short of full obedience to any of God’s commands, we must confess it to Him, repent, and ask Him for grace to obey Him in that area, being resolved to make it right in His sight with His help and strength.

Regarding the importance of learning God’s instructions to us, Colossians 3:16 exhorts us, “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.” And with regard to remembering them, Jesus told the disciples, “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.”-John 14:26

2013/4/29 17:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy