SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : THERE WAS NO SWORD IN THE HAND OF DAVID - David Wilkerson

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 THERE WAS NO SWORD IN THE HAND OF DAVID - David Wilkerson

“David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and struck the Philistine and killed him. There was no sword in the hand of David. . . . When the Philistines saw that their champion was dead, they fled. And the men of Israel and Judah rose with a shout and pursued the Philistines as far as Gath and the gates of Ekron, so that the wounded Philistines fell on the way” (1 Samuel 17:50-52).

When David slew Goliath, the tide turned so dramatically that Israel put the stumbling Philistines to flight. Most important in this passage is one short phrase: “There was no sword in the hand of David.” God proved Himself faithful through David’s trust—and that filled every Israelite soldier with faith. All mockery and shame were gone, and the Israelites’ confidence returned—a confidence that their God would do battle for them.

The profound effect of seeing God’s power work on our behalf is that our confidence is renewed to enter the fray. The battle is Christ’s, who calls to us, “Come see My hand of victory. I have cut off the head of your accuser!” We are now empowered to follow, saying, “Lord, You haven’t abandoned me. You allowed all of this—every setback, even the taunts. And You did it in mercy so that I might believe You.”

Still, many of us wonder, “When will the Lord move on my behalf?” The answer to that is, Jesus has already moved! Your victory was secured 2,000 years ago on the cross. His triumph on the cross is the same victory that puts to flight every giant in our lives. Your marriage may be suffering, but Christ has defeated the powers of darkness arrayed against you and your spouse. Your finances may not be in order, but your Lord has prepared for you a future and a hope. Your children may not lead the godly life you envision for them, but Jesus has purchased their salvation. We may have battles on many fronts, but Christ has secured our victory.

Are you now able to see your foe defeated? Think of all the accusing voices you hear. You can answer them all: “This is the end for you, devil. Jesus’ victory has put you to flight. My victory is already sealed and won. Whenever He chooses, my Hero will demonstrate that victory, and the world will behold Him in all His glory. All will know that the battle is not with the sword and spear, but with the Lord.”

2013/4/22 9:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy