SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Quotes

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; another’s life, another’s death, I stake my whole eternity."

- Horatius Bonar

2004/1/31 5:47Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

"If sinners be dammed, at least let them leap to Hell over our bodies. If they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees. Let no one GO there UNWARNED and UNPRAYED for."

- Charles Spurgeon

2004/1/31 5:51Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

“Preach abroad….It is the cooping yourselves up in rooms that has dampened the work of God, which never was and never will be carried out to any purpose without going into the highways and hedges and compelling men and women to come in.”

- Jonathon Edwards

"No sort of defense is needed for preaching outdoors, but it would take a very strong argument to prove that a man who has never preached beyond the walls of his meetinghouse has done his duty. A defense is required for services within buildings rather than for worship outside of them.”

- William Booth

2004/1/31 5:53Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

"The true man of God is heartsick, grieved at the worldliness of the Church...grieved at the toleration of sin in the Church, grieved at the prayerlessness in the Church. He is disturbed that the corporate prayer of the Church no longer pulls down the strongholds of the devil."

- Leonard Ravenhill

2004/1/31 5:56Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

"One hundred religious persons knit into a unity by careful organization do no constitute a church any more than eleven dead men make a football team. The first requisite is life, always."

- A. W. Tozer

2004/1/31 5:57Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi ccchhhrrriiisss
you wrote "Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; another’s life, another’s death, I stake my whole eternity."

- Horatius Bonar
Thank you for this. It was a favourite quotation of Amy Carmichael and I quote it frequently in my preaching, but I never new where it came from. Do you know chapter and verse?

2004/1/31 11:59Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi, Philologos...

Actually, I do not know where the quote originated. So, I did an internet search. Amazingly, I found that the quote is actually attributed to several people. However, most of the credible sites seem to confirm that this was said by Horatius Bonar. Anyway, I apologize that I could not help you.

2004/1/31 13:03Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to emplore His protection and favor."

- George Washington

2004/2/1 9:49Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

It is God's way to let ministers try all their strength first, and then He Himself comes and subdues the hearts they cannot.
-Jonathan Edwards

2004/2/1 11:49Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Thanks anyway
I found myself quoting it again this morning in preaching. It is such a finally tuned expression of genuine faith.

2004/2/1 12:02Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy