SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Overcoming Sin - Eric Ludy

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Tomo07

Australia

Overcoming Sin - Eric Ludy

Another classic sermon from Eric. Focusing on the story of King Hezekiah of Judah. An interesting view on overcoming sin and although an older one, still of great help, love his passion and teaching and would very much recommend. would love to hear your feedback.

http://www.ellerslie.com/sermons/eric-ludy/4-8-12/overcoming-sin

2013/3/28 6:42Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Overcoming Sin - Eric Ludy

I am not able to listen to the audio, as I am at work. But I did take a look at the sermon notes, and since you asked for feedback, please allow me to offer some.

There were some interesting analogies of Hezekiah and Assyria and the "Great King", and I applaud the preacher for his spiritualizing of an Old Testament account to a New Covenant reality. This spiritualization seemed to be 95% of the message. But how to actually overcome sin wasn't disclosed in his notes until the very end - and this expectation was the whole reason I kept hanging on - and when he finally arrived at it, I sunk back into my chair and felt let down.

Here's why. Bringing someone through all those Old Testment typologies and promises and shadows with the ultimate summation of simply reckoning oneself to be dead to sin but alive to God in Christ - and not telling them in practical terms "how" this is to be done, can only add to someone's confusion and misery when they find it's not working in their life and all their bestting sins just keep coming back. Many seasoned Christians who are defeated by sin know they are to reckon themselves dead and not yield to temptation. They've read in the Word that they've been baptized into Christ's death. But how to actually make it their experience to where they effectually begin overcoming and maintaining a pure heart before God is a wholly different matter. Most find that when they try this, Satan comes tooth and nail against them and attacks their minds to a such a degree that all their theology and Bible knowledge becomes paralyzed.

When dealing with overcoming sin, it's best to be as practical as possible in your teaching because the powers of darkness entice believers in very custom-tailored ways to sin. An understanding of spirit-led mortification is needed, of tearing down strongholds and taking every thought captive. To people encompassed by sexual strongholds and chains of addiction, theological concepts become but pie-in-the-sky theories. They need real deliverance and a divine revelation of their deaths in Christ and from this revelation the humility to receive New Covenant grace in the overcoming of sin's dominion.

2013/3/28 10:40Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Amen brother Paul. Amen.

2013/3/28 10:55Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

I found a very good article by Andrew Murray on how one is to enter into union with Christ in His death. It is unfortunate that in today's world the word "reckon" is almost used as a synonym for "guess". Reckoning is acting on a truth, not pretending something to be true. However, just as when Israel was entering into the Promised Land which God gave them title to, they did not possess it. Only as they placed their feet on each area of the land did they then possess what they had title to. Think of reckoning like that. Anyway, here is the Andrew Murray article:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=27848

2013/3/28 12:08Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Link to website which is of full of testimonies, articles.

http://www.enterhisrest.org/

Advise on how to enter from site

Hunger: This is a reward and gift given by the Lord to those who are zealous and faithful with their initial portion of grace. It is a supernatural reward of CAPACITY to seek for more. The more hunger you have been given, the more swiftly you will be able to overcome any obstacle. If you are short of this element, the thing to do is to get really faithful with what you have already been given. Learn to pray and speak secretly in tongues at times while you go about your day. He is faithful to reward the faithful with more. Become"Hot for God". Carry a tiny Bible on your person at all times, and refuel your zeal and faith at every opportunity throughout your day. Lunchtime. Coffee break. Waiting in line or in traffic jams.

Total Consecration: Consecration means to dedicate, or "give over" into the death of His Cross. But how do you know when you have consecrated your ALL? Here we need His help, to both show us those things which are not obvious, and to give us the faith and courage to lay down our whole lives without reserve at His feet. But when we do this, how do we know that there is not yet more? We often don't know when to quit, so we just have to do our best and hold the rest before Him, so that He can either approve or show us more. Having consecrated, we must simply stand in faith.

Total Faith: Here you need to believe that He will bring you into His Rest. We just have to do our best to keep holding this faith, until finally He reaches down with His Hand of grace and says, "Well done thou good and faithful servant, enter into...".

There are certain tricky paradoxes that must be bridged in faith: such as we need a completed faith in order to obtain a completed faith... Again we must cry, "Lord, I believe, help thou mine unbelief".

Sanctification Crisis: at a definite moment in time we are taken into His Bosom. To some the moment may appear subtle, but after they wait in active trust, they will will look back and see the exact moment when they passed from the believer's twilight into gloriously full light in Him. Most find the moment to be blatantly unmistakable.

2013/3/28 16:55Profile
pilgrim777

Re: Overcoming Sin - Eric Ludy

Here are some "practical" things that the believer can do to stay free from daily defilement.

1. Eliminate the mixture.
II Corinthians 6:14-18

2. Beware of Lawlessness
Titus 2:14

3. Walk in the spirit of reconciliation
Colossians 1:21, Hebrews 12:15

4. Daily consecrate your life on the altar.
Romans 12:1

5. Draw your life from the Spirit, not the flesh.
Galatians 5:16, I John 2:15,16

6. Subject every desire to one desire.
1 John 2:17

7. Abide in Christ
John 15:1-12

8. Endure the discipline of the Father
Hebrews 12:5-11

9. Beware of willful sin.
Hebrews 10:26-31, 6:4-6

One last admonition:

2Co 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Pilgrim

2013/3/28 17:51Profile
EvangelTam

Re:

hmm those are good points,though I think reckoning oneself dead to sin is an important part to overcoming sin.

a good book on overcoming sin I would suggest would be "Have You Ever Felt Like Giving Up Lately?" by David Wilkerson

This is a very practical and helpful book. It doesn't offer nice flowery answers but it offers insights from the experiences of a mature Christian who has struggled with sin seen many people struggle with it and has overcome.

2013/3/28 18:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy