SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : HISTORY CHANNELS "BIBLE" SERIES ACTUALLY TEACHING PEOPLE - ESPECIALLY NON CHRISTIANS!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

HISTORY CHANNELS "BIBLE" SERIES ACTUALLY TEACHING PEOPLE - ESPECIALLY NON CHRISTIANS!

HISTORY CHANNELS "BIBLE" SERIES ACTUALLY TEACHING PEOPLE - ESPECIALLY NON CHRISTIANS!

Nearly 7 in 10 viewers say they learned something new.
And 3 IN 10 ARE NON CHRISTIANS!

The creators of The Bible miniseries set out to draw millions to the stories and truths of the Scriptures, and recent statistics suggest they’re doing just that.
About 4 in 10 Americans have watched at least one episode of the show, according to a survey by Barna Research for the American Bible Society.

More than a quarter of the show’s viewers—13.1 million for the premiere and around 10.8 million in the weeks since—are self-professed non-Christians, they found.

The miniseries, which air on the History Channel each Sunday until Easter, portrays Bible stories from Genesis through Revelation, and 69 percent of viewers say they have learned something new about the Bible from watching, according to the survey.

Producers Mark Burnett and Roma Downey, both Catholics, consulted with theologians, scholars, and pastors for accuracy.

“Our greatest hope is that this series will affect a new generation of viewers and draw them back to the Bible,” said Burnett, the man behind shows like Survivor and The Voice. “…when you look at The Bible you realize that this is the most enduring piece of work that we will ever work on. More people will see The Bible series than all of our other shows combined.”

article can be found in Christianity Today at

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/ctliveblog/archives/2013/03/history-channel-bible-series-teaching-people-about-the-bible-barna.html

2013/3/22 17:24Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: HISTORY CHANNELS "BIBLE" SERIES ACTUALLY TEACHING PEOPLE - ESPECIALLY N

Last Monday the fellow that works for us asked us if Samson was born to a single mom? Also said his mom and the angel were black - said he saw this on tv the night before on the 'Bible' program.

I had a fit. I took my Bible and showed him in Judges where it says his parents were married. Plain as day.

I was upset. How can someone screw up something so simple?? And to think this is what ignorant folks are being taught via the idiot box. Not very nice, am I?

2013/3/22 20:03Profile
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re:

ginnyrose stated

Quote:
Last Monday the fellow that works for us asked us if Samson was born to a single mom? Also said his mom and the angel were black - said he saw this on tv the night before on the 'Bible' program.

Not sure what this fellow is referring to. The movie clearly showed Samson's mother and father as married. It in NO WAY indicated that she was a single parent.

You also stated
Quote:
Also said his mom and the angel were black

Well......in the movie Samson and his mother were black as well as an angel. Is that a problem? The real Samson, his mother (or father) and angels may very well have been of skin pigment that people would call "black". Again, why is that a problem?

Perhaps you mean your comments differently than they seem. However, they do seem very racist.

Your friend was mistaken about Samson's parents in the show. It was not as you and he seem to have believed. Also, it is quiet possible the real angel, Samson, or his parents would have been "black" to your eyes. So what?

Interesting that you were not happy to see so many unsaved people looking to learn about the Bible. It seems you may have missed the entire point of the article. Just upset that Samson was black....hmmmm.... makes a person wonder.

2013/3/22 20:18Profile

Re:

My favorite were the Ninja angels. Wonder if that is what the charismatics mean by warring angels.

Ok. All kidding aside. I hope the Bibke series will get unsaved people to read the actual book and find Jesus. ButI I believe there are better videos that convey the Bibke story more effectively than the History Cannel.

There is the Jesus video taken from the Gospel of Luke. I remember watching an excellent video series on the Book if Acts. The characters were dressed in the time period and the scenes were filmed on location around Israel. The dialogue taken from the NIV. The same people had done a video series on Mathew. Also there is another video series out on John.

The History Channel is to be commended for the series. But believe there are Vetter Bibke videos out there.

My thoughts.

Bearmaster.

2013/3/22 20:45
MaryJane

Re:

Solomon what you are implying about Ginnyrose is so wrong! She works with many young girls who are black through her church and has never showed anything but love for those who are lost regardless of their skin color. I believe she was more upset because the person who watched the show believed after watching it that Samson mother was portrayed as being single.

I have watched the show and have been disappointed in it as well. I think the ninja angels were silly, I did not like the way they handled the Moses story, I do not like how they handled Abraham. I do not like the fact that much of this show has changed, left out, or rewritten the truths of the BIBLE. Those who are watching are getting watered down versions of the BIBLE and in some cases out right errors.

As bearmaster said there are many other movies out there that are better done.

2013/3/22 20:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy