SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Distinction between a Christian and a Disciple

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
jdlashley

South Carolina

Distinction between a Christian and a Disciple

My pastor has been preaching a series in regards to what it means to be a true follower of Christ. One of the sermons was on the distinction between a Christian and a true disciple of the Master. His main point was that there are many who assume the identity of a Christian and have no idea what that truly means, nor do they wish to know. He almost made it sound as if it may become necessary for true believers to self-identitfy as a disciple of Christ. This in order to distinguish from those who refer to themselves as Christians with no conviction as to what it means, and to those false religious systems that use the same designation.

Any thoughts?

In Him,

2013/3/17 16:57Profile
davidc

France

Re: Distinction between a Christian and a Disciple

Hi James

The disciples of Christ were first called Christians at Antioch; but this appears to be what they were called by outsiders.

As for self-identity, Paul wrote of himself "I am crucified with Christ"

The Father calls us sons.Jesus calls us His brethren. The Holy Spirit calls us saints.

Grace and love to you brother

David

2013/3/17 19:26Profile
Sree

It is tough to answer without understanding what your pastor has already spoken. It is true that early Christians were disciples of Jesus. But it is not true now. Today anyone who believes Jesus is God and goes to Church is assumed to be Christian both by himself and the world.

Anyone can believe Jesus is God but not all of those who believe are disciples of Jesus. Disciples are those who follow Jesus. Only those who believe Jesus was also 100% man can follow Jesus and be his disciple. In a disciple there will be a genuine interest for Christlikeness. They will accept Jesus as their Lord or master for their life. All the decisions in their life will be taken with an eagerness to do their Lord's will.

You can make anyone believe in Jesus as God. But to make someone a wholehearted disciple requires the person to workout his salvation with the holy spirit working inside him. Also the need of a fellowship cannot be neglected. It is impossible to be a disciple by being a lonely believer that is why God places men in Church.

2013/3/17 22:58Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

In essence I would agree with what the pastor is saying. My concern would be that people would be discouraged from calling themselves Christian, as God's Word clearly calls us Christians. Peter talks about suffering as a Christian (1Pet.4:160). Also, another concern would be that some may think they can be a Christian and saved without being a disciple, which God's Word clearly denies. I personally like to use the term true born again Christian, as opposed to a Christian in name only.

2013/3/18 0:03Profile
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Re:

What about TRUE believers.

its NOT to late to move away from the reproached term

used by outsiders of "christian"

which now ...every man & his pet dog

all claim to be: that is "christian"

yes it would be a radical "break-away" thing.

but at least it draws a line in the sand.

and it gets people thinking!

And its especially noted by the phrased Word (true)

Personally I have liked a lot of oracio posts. and not to be variant

but (got to go) against you on this one bro

christian has been so cheapened over time.. Its time for change.

true belivers beckons a line in the sand. (heaven knows we need it)

2013/3/18 6:24Profile
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Re:

Not to mention how many scores of people audition for fun fun fun

on the reality music and challenge t.v shows to win the first prize of a million bux or a coveted recording contract (which a large component of the contestants claiming in name to be - yes - "christian"

but Should we change the term christian ... because of them?

well should we change from old covenant to new covenant?

should we change from old testament to new testament?

the traditional jews ...all said NO! (at the time)

NOTHING wrong with what we got ( was the popular concensus)

WE are moses' disciples: and we know God spoke with moses.

But that which waxeth old and decayeth ...is ready to vanish away!

Ive liked your posts on repentance. But yeah christian and easy believism are sadly (now) strongly linked. (its a shame) but nevertheless true.

ah: theres that word again "true"

God is a God of what? (truth)

Its not to late to change brethren.

Seeing that everyone is christian nowadays

true believers is the way to go (IMO)

I like the word "true" and its sister "believer"

2013/3/18 6:44Profile
sonofthunder

Re:

But whenever you talk about christians auditioning for fun

the fun reality t.v shows ...you get the usual (silent)l no comment response

So theres no "fun" in talking about it anymore.

except the sarcastic reply of:

How do you know these things ...unless you watch em...yourself?

Now thats not "funny" (be nice)

christianity is about "fun" i forgot: sorry guys. how silly of me.

2013/3/18 7:52Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

son of thunder no hard feelings bro, its okay to disagree sometimes, thanks for the encouragement :) I like "true believer" but I would qualify it with true believer in Christ because there are believers from all religions. Just sayin bro ;)

2013/3/18 9:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy