SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The tyranny of time and small things

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The tyranny of time and small things

When there is nothing much going on in our lives there are many things that we fret about. We have the luxury of thinking about things that we would otherwise not . Small things become big things.We long for God to use us, and we can secretly be discontent. It is sad that when things are quiet and we should be doing nothing more than being joyful and thinking on Him, we seem to do the opposite. And it seems that we always live to regret it. Something happens and suddenly we long to be back in a time and place where life was just “normal.” Most of us are either living in and for the future, or living in the past. Everything we do is touched by our thoughts that have went before us or our fears and hopes for tomorrow. This living one day at a time seems so remote to so many of us. Then it happens, as it does to all of us. Disaster strikes. A job is lost.A loved one dies, a child or spouse is diagnosed with some terrible disease. All of a sudden, what seemed like a complicated life, suddenly becomes very simple, we now focus like a laser, on what really matters. Things that seemed important the day before, now are no longer afforded even a thought as we cry out to God for that which presses on our souls and that which has consumed us. What a thousand excellent teachers and preachers could not convey, circumstances, affliction, adversity suddenly become our teachers and our perspective is quite dramatically brought into focus as we realize what is really important in life, and, by the same token, what is not. We cannot change the past and we do not know how much future lies ahead of us. It seems pretty clear that God, if we know anything, is the God of the now. The past is gone and the future is yet to come but we know that we are here now. It is now that we should worship. It is now that we should walk in His presence. It is now that we should exercise grace. Most of us also take what has happened in the past and use that as a measuring stick as to what will happen in the future. Yet we know that God stands outside of time and space in eternity. In timeless eternity there is no past or future, only the eternal now, the eternal reality of His presence.So, when we use the past as a measuring stick for the future, it is not an act of faith, it is an act of the intellect. God cannot be known by our intellect. May the tyranny of time not be found amongst us. May its constant demand be set aside, yet to do that we will have to set aside our fears and insecurities. If we fail to live in the now, then when calamity or trial or test comes upon us, we have to scramble to come into that place with Him. Today is the day to seek the Kingdom of God and His peace and His righteousness. Slow down and consider the beauty of God and His Holiness and His beauty. Do not let the small cares of this world consume you, be consumed by Him and in this you will stand in a sure place.

2013/3/11 10:56
MaryJane

Re: The tyranny of time and small things

Greetings Frank

Wonderful thoughts. Such good seeds here to be sure. This is a lesson that I have struggled with for so long, living in the "now." I am given "today" to live for HIM so why do I allow self and my flesh to look back to yesterday or run ahead to tomorrow. Its seems HE gave me today because in HIS wisdom HE knows that is what I can deal with in HIM. Yesterday is done nothing can bring it back, tomorrow has not yet happened but right now I have "Today" to live for HIM and that I am learning is something I can only do with HIM and by HIS strength!!

Thank you again very good post. One of the best I have read in a very long time.

God Bless
maryjane

2013/3/11 13:27Profile

Re:

MJ writes.........

"Yesterday is done nothing can bring it back, tomorrow has not yet happened but right now I have "Today" to live for HIM and that I am learning is something I can only do with HIM and by HIS strength!!"

Amen sister.............bro Frank

2013/3/11 22:25

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy