SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should Christians enjoy God ???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sree

Re: Should Christians enjoy God ???

It is a very good question. This Sunday we had a sermon on Psalms 112 which reads like -

How blessed is the man who fears the Lord,
Who greatly delights in His commandments.

Those verses are characteristics of a Godly man. If we read these 2 verses together there is a contradiction between them. How is it possible to fear the Lord and also delight in his commandments? A man with worldly wisdom cannot give an answer to it. For him it is impossible. For example if I fear my manager I can obey his orders out of fear but cannot find his orders a delight.

A spiritual answer is the fear that I have for Lord is the fear that my actions will hurt him. He loves me so much that he gave his son for my sins. Now I do not want to sin anymore and break his heart. I find his commands a delight because they guide me into going his will. His commands are light leading me into the life of his son Jesus.

Was grace that thought my heart to fear and grace my fears relieved. How can the same grace bring fear and also relieve it? only a spiritual man can experience this mystery.

2013/3/11 23:11Profile
roadsign

Re: What's so right about enjoying God?

In the church's history there has always been a tendency to view expressions of joy in the Lord with great caution and skepticism.

For more thought on the subject consider this painting, “The Return of the Prodigal Son” by Rembrandt.
http://www.lumenchristi.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/rembrandt-return-of-the-prodigal-son11.jpg

Who is filled with joy?
Who is NOT filled with joy – and why? (Note his posture)
Today, why might one not be able to (authentically) empathize with the joy of the Lord?

See the three prodigal parables in Luke 15. Note how Jesus develops the theme of joy - and contrasts it to the attitude of the pharisees (and older brother).

Diane

2013/3/12 8:17Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re: Should Christians enjoy God ???

Leave it to us to question something so profoundly clear in the Word of God.

Enjoy; a verb ; to experience joy. To take pleasure in.

"In Thy presence is fullness of joy, and at Thy right hand there are pleasures evermore.!

Some older definitions, ;joy-in, to rejoice

Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice.-Paul

Rejoice evermore. - Paul

These things I have spoken to you that my joy may be in you and that your joy might be full. -Jesus

Jesus speaking to the Father; "And now come I to thee; and these things speak I in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.

There are probably a hundred more.!!

Russell

2013/3/12 8:56Profile
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Re:

Believe it or not ...i dont necessarily ...disagree with most posters

It comes down personall opinion.

Which im also allowed to have (also) correct?

Be thatt as it may.

Agree to disagree ...and move on.

Doesnt mean im not a christian or false (correct)?

Paul opened all his epistles with great reverence of who God is

And no mention of daddy or pappa either.

I will admit im greatly dismayed that people at SI have supported daddy /pappa God doctrine (im totally bewildered) by this truly ...i am.

but i will recover and get over it.

Doesnt seem to matter either leonard ravenhills mesage on judgement seat of christ and our sloppy sentimental images of Jesus.

Maybe im on the wrong forum??? here (dunno) bit perplexed.

If someone prayed publicly daddy and pappa ( i still cringe) myself:

anyway God bless all ...i will leave it at that.

But remember ....the master taught ...its a hallowed name

Above all other gods. Amen and amen!

2013/3/13 5:51Profile
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Re:

Believeve it or not ...i dont necessarily ...disagree with most posters

It comes down personal opinion.

Which im also allowed to have correct?

Be thatt as it may.

Agree to disagree ...and we move on (simple)

Paul opened all his epistles with great reverence of who God was and is:

And no mention of daddy or pappa (anywhere)

prove me wrong? your only fall back is to playthe greek language card on abba father. hmmm

I will admit im greatly dismayed people at SI have supported daddy /pappa God doctrine (im totally bewildered) by this. truly.

Doesnt seem to matter either. that leonard ravenhills mesage on judgement seat of christ ...and all our sloppy sentimental images of Jesus.

Maybe im on the wrong forum??? (dunno) bit perplexed all round.

And dissapointed.

If someone prays publicly daddy and pappa ( i still cringe) myself:

And stubborn as it sounds. I will err on the side of caution

2013/3/13 6:50Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by sonofthunder on 2013/3/13 0:50:50

Believeve it or not ...i dont necessarily ...disagree with most posters

It comes down personal opinion.

Which im also allowed to have correct?

Be thatt as it may.

Agree to disagree ...and we move on (simple)

Paul opened all his epistles with great reverence of who God was and is:

And no mention of daddy or pappa (anywhere)

prove me wrong? your only fall back is to playthe greek language card on abba father. hmmm

I will admit im greatly dismayed people at SI have supported daddy /pappa God doctrine (im totally bewildered) by this. truly.

Doesnt seem to matter either. that leonard ravenhills mesage on judgement seat of christ ...and all our sloppy sentimental images of Jesus.

Maybe im on the wrong forum??? (dunno) bit perplexed all round.

And dissapointed.

If someone prays publicly daddy and pappa ( i still cringe) myself:

And stubborn as it sounds. I will err on the side of caution

Greetings

I have no issue praying to GOD the FATHER and I often do so. I have learned to cherish that closeness with my Heavenly FATHER. I know that GOD is an awesome mighty GOD who holds all in HIS hands. I know HE loves me as HIS own and I take comfort in that but I also know that HE is a Holy GOD and expects and wants HIS children to live righteous and holy lives. HE gives us all that we need to do so in HIS SON JESUS. I have no problem with someone calling GOD, FATHER, PAPPA, DADDY. I believe HE desires intimacy with HIS children, to know us and to be known by us. I believe as it says in the WORD HE looks at our hearts and what is in the heart. There have been many times that I have cried out to HIM in sorrow and tears knowing that HE is there with me, my loving FATHER who cares for and desires all that is good for me. Sometimes that which is good means that I need a stern lesson but even in those times knowing that it is my HEAVENLY FATHER giving such lessons to teach me and help me grow I often find comfort. I would not trade that for anything.

I do understand your heart on the matter so as not to cause you to stumble or cringe if we were ever gathered together I would not pray publicly using the names, FATHER, PAPPA, or DADDY for your sake.

I do however find it odd that in the beginning of your post here you say you don't necessarily disagree and that it comes down to personal opinion but then write in length about your disappointment in those here in the forum who see things differently? As you said "it doesn't mean I'm not a christian or false." because I believe something other then your opinion on this (Correct) :)

God bless you brother and in love I write this to you. Thank you for allowing me to share my heart and I appreciate you doing the same with all of us :)

maryjane

2013/3/13 8:51Profile
roadsign

Re: Enjoying God: A great topic!

Quote:
Enjoying communion with the Father does not somehow indicate a lack of reverence or respect. Don't you think God WANTS us to enjoy the time we spend with Him?

In other words reluctance to ENJOY God may indicate rebellion – as in the example of the older brother in the prodigal parable. In view of Jesus’s three prodigal parables, God COMMANDS us to participate in his joy. That was the very issue Jesus was addressing: “But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law MUTTERED….” Lk. 15:2 “the older brother became angry and refused to go in (to the party) :28.

The original concern in this thread seems to be about revved-up emotion that is essentially a form of mood-alteration. There’s plenty of that around – in any branch of the Christian religion (you can get high on processionals and recitations too).

Surely we cannot be concerned merely about word-use (Daddy) – because, after all, the apostle Paul used the word “Daddy” =Abba father. Also, Jesus had “Daddy” RUN toward the returning son. Running, for an older man, was highly undignified and inappropriate in Jewish culture.

If Jesus portrayed the Father’s joy in an undignified manner and commands us to participate in that same joy – don’t you think it behooves us to guard our criticisms carefully. Judging the motive behind people’s behavior/words is a tricky thing.

As I see it, the real issue for us is not what the other guy is doing, but the condition of our own heart. Are we looking critically through the eyes of the “older brother”? It’s always a temptation for us churched folk.

Diane

2013/3/14 14:16Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Don't you think God WANTS us to enjoy the time we spend with Him?

I appreciate this question and would like to consider it personally.

For me, the enjoyment of God is far from instinctive. It is easily blocked by one particular pronounced pitfall in my life: Getting obsessed over the sins of the world including my own. Such a mental focus drags me down into a pessimistic mood, and tempts me to insulate myself in my own self-righteous cocoon. If I don’t put a check on it, I can actually get feeling quite justified about this. Many scriptures call us to enjoy God, so I have come to view my negative moods as symptomatic of sin. It’s putting my eyes in the wrong place.

That’s not to say that we shouldn’t become more acutely aware of sin. In fact we should – but through the proper lens and with the right focus. When sin (troubling behaviors) becomes our focus, God gets out of focus. We get unbalanced,neurotic, and do harm to ourselves, others, and the glory of God. It is a life of unbelief, really. Who wants our God if that’s how his followers are!

The remedy is repentance: turning our eyes back to God – celebrating with him in his wonderful, awesome gift of forgiveness and reconciliation offered to humanity.

It wasn’t “appropriate” for Jesus to eat with tax collectors and sinners. Yet Jesus was having a fabulously, enjoyable time! He was filled with the joy of his Father. How do we know? We can tell by the way he scripted his three prodigal parables – most notably the theme he repeated most often: enjoyment/celebration. Check it out: Luke 15.

We don’t need masses of conversions or big revivals to enjoy God. All it takes is one: one sheep/one coin/one returning prodigal.

At this moment, I have the awesome privilege of watching one scraggly sheep make a turn towards God. Oh, it’s a faltering turn; it’s not neat and tidy. But I know God is rejoicing – even if nobody else sees it that way. I can’t help but get very excited about this remarkable turnaround. And more – in this “messy” process, the Lord is reducing me to a lower level. (I have a lot of “older brother” in me.) God is drawing me to enjoy his forgiveness for me – and know the unspeakable joy that arises out of the ashes of misery and tears!

Diane

2013/3/15 9:29Profile
sonofthunder

Re:

I have stated all along ...its merely a view...and an opinion.

of mine (which everyone) is entitled too.

secondly im not some sour dour personality that cant know

true joy - worship - praise - intimacy - communion

as i said in my opening post ( no problem) with that, i embrace all that, practise it, fully wholly endorse it!!!

In fact my rejoicing in God and of God would offend and cause
(religious spirits/ and or/ religious people
(which has also included pentecostals) to stumble.

Simply because i am free ...and know how to greatly ...enjoy my God.

(this is balanced and tempered by reverence and respect ...to Father God)

Im definitely not a superr serious sour puss in real life.

(which some may assume predicated on my name SOT and my writing style at times) assume nothing. (youve never met me in person)

Nor am i the "older brother" That parable is originally about a "soul" a rebellious soul returning to the father. Your not human if you dont rejoice even dance ...over lost souls. (i do - and have)

So just want to be clear i believe in walking with God very intimately
and i believe in...very very close communion wihh God and with his Son (Jesus Christ) i re-iterate all these things so as not to be quoted out of context.

The original OP Merely asks the question?

As many who taught and promoted this ( idea)

that is- that of the (pappa/daddy god concept) which is NOT found in the new testament scriptures (anywhere) nor in Jesus's own words or prayers (either) please supply a verse promting the idea that we should go around refering to the great God as "pappa" or "daddy God"

Its a concept an idea ( but any single reference) to pappa daddy (no where) to be found.

Nevrrtheless we are dear children - and he is our father God. Amen!

And i said ALL along i fully embrace all references to

"father God" and the father per se

I actually want and desire (actually) a fuller and deeper revelation of the whole father God concept (which is inclusive of hallowed - be his name)

Which jesus taught in the Model prayer ( to His Disciples)

2013/3/16 17:48Profile
sonofthunder

Re:

Worship is something that brings great Joy! worship encourages great praise of the father. Amen saints! it brings a sense of release to the soul

(love it - love it - absolutely love it) amen.

But its not just about "me" or "us"

Its a focus on the father ( but accordingly) its brings release

a sense of rejoicing and lifts and bouys our spirits. Amen.

This approach to worship is still however a serious sober thing.
(very much so) because worship is - about the father.

Its primarliy (but not exclusively) about him ( its about us also )

We go to church mostly to give - not recieve.

So people keep reminding us...

Why is worship both a thing of joy but sobering?

1. we have to ascend to the hill of the Lord with clean hands and
(pure hearts) or its a no Go zone. ( and/or a hypocritical zone)

without the clean hands ...we are offering up...strange fire.

which had disastrous results with censors (in leviticus)

2. God is a spirit: and they that would worship MUST worship him in spirit and in TRUTH. ( God desires TRUTH on - the inward parts)

We are so previleged in the new testament as the priesthood in the o.t was a very solemn thing ...reserved unto aaron ...and his seed.

Approaching God was a previledge - but also - solemn.

The book of hebrews declares we have this incredible access and prevelidge ...but the writer couples it, and is quick to point out also (that it is - to be tempered) with serving God (with)

(A) Acceptly.

(B) with reverence and Godly fear.

2013/3/16 18:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy