SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is cremation of the body after death un-Biblical?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Is cremation of the body after death un-Biblical?

The topic of cremation was shared with me through email along with a link to this topic here on Sermon index. http://media.sermonindex.net/21/SID21707.mp3. I am planing to listen to this teaching and was interested to also hear what others are seeing on this topic? I have never heard of this before, the thought that having ones body cremated after death is un-Biblical?

I had not considered this before..I am grateful that this sister sent this out for us to hear and consider before the LORD. I look forward to learning and knowing HIS heart on this topic.

God bless
Maryjane

2013/3/3 8:05Profile

Re: Is cremation of the body after death un-Biblical?

MaryJane I could not load the teaching into my handset. I suppose the teaching infers creamation us unbiblical. I see no scriptural warrant for such a view.

However a question. What of those Christians who were burned st the stake? What of Christians who are burned to death in a car or house fire?

Just something to ponder.

Bearmaster.

2013/3/3 8:15
MaryJane

Re:

Greeting Bear

I had to copy the link and paste it into my browser then it worked for me. I have not heard the teaching yet but I plan to later today. I think you have valid questions and those thoughts did come to my mind also. As I said I had not heard of this teaching before so was curious to hear what the LORD is showing others.

God bless
maryjane

2013/3/3 8:26Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

The Roman Catholics used to forbid it, but the Archdiosese has since lifted the anathema. You would think Chriatians shouldn't care about this, but Rome's influence over evangelical Christianity through the years has been, and continues to be, very strong.

If you think about it, many of the choicest saints down through the ages were cremated by the will of God. The martyrs of the reformation in particular: men like William Tyndale, Jan Huss, Hooper, and all the Smithfield victims of Queen Mary, hundreds of them. Wycliffe, who was also involved with Bible translation, was eventually dug up, burnt and had his ashes crushed and dumped in a river. In comparison, the professional religious people, the pharisees and enemies of the cross of the day were all buried with comfort and dignity! But God often sent the real Christians into the fire. I really don't think God has a problem with cremation, if that is one's personal choice. Think of all the Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Indian Christians who are cremated as per their societal and cultural norm. Brethren, it is what is inside this clay tabernacle that counts, and not the corruptible, outer clay itself. The flesh itself of God's saints can be fed to lions for all it is worth.

We all turn to ash eventually; cremation just speeds the process. Trust me, I know, I'm a funeral director ;)

Brother Paul

2013/3/3 8:39Profile
MaryJane

Re:

We all turn to ash eventually; cremation just speeds the process. Trust me, I know, I'm a funeral director ;)

Brother Paul

_______

Thank you Paul for this reply. I appreciate what you have shared here. The more I have talked with others on this topic and prayed about it I do believe the LORD is showing me that you are correct in saying its what is inside that matters...the LORD looks at the heart.

My mother who is Roman Catholic is the only other person I had heard who believed this understanding about cremation and the body.

God bless
mj

2013/3/3 8:58Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Mary Jane,

I cannot open this either...maybe it was removed?

But I do have my opinions on this issue. While it is true that many Believers have been burned by the enemy, we must realize this is the enemy of God initiating this procedure, not God nor his people. Christians can get comfort from the fact that God can still resurrect one who was burned to ashes.

But let us look at the record as recorded in Scripture. Nowhere do we read where God's people burned a dead body - it was buried. You had human sacrifice which was soundly condemned by God but this was the only time we read of dead bodies being burned that I am aware of - need to check this out more closely. In any case, God's people who had died were buried. Think about that.

Yes, I do not believe a godly person will want his body to be burned. Now this will put me at odds with Paul, I know, but this is what I believe.

God bless.

ginnyrose

2013/3/3 9:38Profile

Try this link.

http://media.sermonindex.net/21/SID21707.mp3

The link includes a sub-redirect which allows it to work.

* Moderator edit: 2nd Link removed to preserve functional continuity of thread.

2013/3/3 10:07
MaryJane

Re:

amrkelly:Thank you for supplying the link for everyone. I am going to listen to this later today. As I said it was not something I had ever thought about.

Ginnyrose I appreciate your heart in sharing what the LORD is showing you on this as well. As I mentioned to Paul those I have talked with did not see this as an issue and some had not ever thought about it. I do believe GOD wants us to deal with our hearts so in that I think we both agree with Paul that it is whats on the inside that matters most :)

I have another reason for interest in this topic, my mother as I mentioned is Roman Catholic and she is the only one I have ever heard speak about this. In the past I had shared with her that I thought she was limiting GOD in HIS ability to raise up for her a "new" body if she did in fact chose to be cremated after she passed away. (Of course her being lost and deceived in the Catholic church is still the most important factor) but I realized that I had given advice on this topic with out really seeking the LORD heart and desire on the matter. That is not something I want to be doing so when it came up through email it really got my attention. I am praying and seeking HIM on this and very appreciative of those who feel led to share doing so :)

God bless
mj

2013/3/3 10:20Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I do not believe a godly person will want his body to be burned.

"And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing." (I Cor. 13:3)

It is interesting that Paul mentions his freewill "giving" of his own body to be burned in conjunction with having faith to remove mountains (as in the preceding verse) and good deeds such as giving away all his possessions to feed the poor. If voluntarily giving his body to the flames was "ungodly", why would he associate it with all the other meritorious acts. The context of it all is in showing how none of it really matters if love is left out of the equation. Which brings us again back to the original truth: if the inside of the cup is corrupt, it matters not what you do with the outer.

Legalism is the reversal of this truth: the overt concern and imposing upon others in the keeping of certain holy days, Sabbath observance, the question of tithing, cosmetics, hair length, foods, washing, meats sacrificed to idols, burial versus cremation, etc. These are all outward preoccupations which have no benefit to the child who is liberated from it all by walking in the Spirit of the New Covenant. Christ Jesus is now the Substance. So what does the Spirit of Christ say about cremation? Obviously, there is a division among certain believers, just as there was concerning the consumption of meats sacrificed to pagan temple idols. How did Paul address it?

If the Holy Spirit has freed your conscience from the particulars of a burial rite, then we should walk in that liberty. Whatsoever we do, it is done unto God - and this includes cremation (otherwise show me a verse where God has made this exception). For those like Ginny who do not have this liberty, they do it unto God as well. But one should not judge the other, for both do it as an act of faith unto the Lord. To imply that someone is less "godly" for not sharing a conviction in these matters, is to err in accordance with New Testament scripture.

2013/3/3 11:01Profile

Re:

The scriptures tell us though outwardly we are wasting away inwardly we are being renewed day by day. We have an inner man or woman that is being transformed into the likeness of Jesus. What matters is we will recieve a glorified body that will not pass away. How this husk fades away should make no fifferrence. What matters is are we being transformed into the likeness of Jesus.

My thoughts.

Bearmaster.

2013/3/3 11:48

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy