Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : THE OFFENCE OF THE CROSS

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

THE OFFENCE OF THE CROSS

THE OFFENCE OF THE CROSS CEASING
By Thomas Scott

Leave out the holy character of God, the holy excellence of his law, the holy condemnation to which transgressors are doomed, the holy loveliness of the Saviour's character, the doctrine, and the holy tempers and conduct of all true believers: then dress up a scheme of religion of this unholy sort: represent mankind as in a pitiable condition, rather through misfortune than by crime: speak much of Christ's bleeding love to them, of his agonies in the garden and on the cross; without shewing the need or the nature of the satisfaction for sin: speak of his present glory, and of his compassion for poor sinners; of the freeness with which he dispenses pardons; of the privileges which believers enjoy here, and of the happiness and glory reserved for them hereafter: clog this with nothing about regeneration and sanctification, or represent holiness as somewhat else than conformity to the holy character and law of God: and you make up a plausible gospel, calculated to humour the pride, soothe the consciences, engage the hearts, and raise the affections of natural men, who love nobody but themselves.

And now no wonder if this gospel (which has nothing in it affronting, offensive, or unpalatable, but is perfectly suited to the carnal unhumbled sinner, and helps him to quiet his conscience, dismiss his fears, and encourage his hopes,) incur no opposition amongst ignorant persons, who inquire not into the reason of things; meet with a hearty welcome, and make numbers of supposed converts, who live and die as full as they can hold of joy and confidence, without any fears or conflicts. ...

What wonder if, when all the offensive part is left out, the gospel gives no offence? What wonder if, when it is made suitable to carnal minds, carnal minds fall in love with it? What wonder if, when it is evidently calculated to fill the unrenewed mind with false confidence and joy, it has this effect? What wonder if, when the true character of God is unknown, and a false character of him is framed in the fancy,--a God all love and no justice, very fond of such believers, as his favourites,--they have very warm affections towards him?

I would not give needless offence. Let this matter be weighed according to its importance. Let the word of God be examined impartially. I cannot but avow my fears that Satan has propagated much of this false religion, among many widely different classes of religious professors; and it shines so brightly in the eyes of numbers, who 'take all for gold that glitters', that, unless the fallacy be detected, it bids fair to be the prevailing religion in many places.

2005/3/8 8:58
Angyl

Re: Let's offend some people!

Quote:
I cannot but avow my fears that Satan has propagated much of this false religion,

Satan? What Satan?

If we're going to be offense-free, we need to remove the figure of 'ultimate evil'. After all, there is no Hell. Our loving god is not going to send people there, but will, as a loving god, offer forgiveness for all people and their small, petty crimes they may have committed on this earth.

Let's keep this above board, Krispy. No more talk of a 'devil' or 'hell' or anything negative like that. Remember our god is all about love and Jesus preached it. Love everybody and everything unconditionally...agree with your fellow man, and promote everything he suggests that doesn't directly hurt someone else.

That's the way to be offense-free! :-P

2005/3/8 10:29Profile

Re:

ooo... many apologies!

2005/3/8 11:54

Re:

The flipside of this is:

all Jews, Mormons, Catholics, Jehovah's Witness, Buddists, Hindus, Krishnas, Taoists, Sikhs, Confucians, Baha'is, Jains, Shintos, Universalists, Scientologists, Zoroastrians, etc. are going to hell. Along with all those gone past. Looks like hell is going to be overflowing and heaven almost empty.

I believe in a Just and Loving God. What kind of God do you believe in?

Bub

2005/3/8 12:42
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

I think loving implies just, and that just implies full, impartial consideration.

That being said, I don't know if God is going to be saddened every time he is forced to turn away another person from the throne, but that [i]in respect[/i] to the decisions they made and in accordance with His provisions will have no choice but to do so.

2005/3/8 13:08Profile

Re:

Quote:
I beleive in a Just and Loving God. What kind of God do you believe in?

It depends on your definition of "just". Say a serial killer murders a loved one of yours... and this person goes before the judge. Is the judge just if he send this person to prison? Your answer should be yes. He would be an unjust judge if he turned that person out in the street... agreed?

So why would God, who is a just God... do any different?

But, I know from previous conversations with you, Bubba, that you do not believe the Bible anyway... so really this is a mute point with you. Until you believe the Bible... the [b]whole[/b] Bible... and interpret it the way it should be interpreted (literally)... you can not possibly understand.

But thanx for jumping in anyway.

Krispy

2005/3/8 13:22

Re:

Quote:
in respect to the decisions they made and in accordance with His provisions will have no choice but to do so.

the problem is that the decisions many of these people make are not informed by the Gospel whatsoever. Many have not been exposed to it at all. Will God judge these people the same way He judges those who lived with the Gospel their entire lives and unrepentently sinned throughout?

Bub

2005/3/8 13:24

Re:

Krispy wrote:

"you do not believe the Bible anyway."

This is completely false. I definately believe in the Bible. But I view it in an entirely different manner than you do. For me it is a spiritual document. Tells the story of God's chosed people, the Jews. Tells us about the fall of mankind and how we can gain redemption through Christ Jesus.

But its not a "history" book in that some of the stories in it are allegorical. Some relate the world view of the people who wrote it, and through the passage of time we have come to see how this world view was nieve or more of a story that has the purpose of relating a higher truth.

Truth comes on many levels. The bible is spiritually accurate. It is Gods word as handed down through the ages by a falible man. It is rich in historical information about our religious heritage. Its just not a literal document.

Bub

2005/3/8 13:31

Re:

Bubba... you do not believe in the creation account. You believe in Darwinism. You've told me that yourself.

Let me ask you... do believe in hell?

Krispy

2005/3/8 13:37
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Jake writes:
Truth comes on many levels. The bible is spiritually accurate. It is Gods word as handed down through the ages by a falible man. It is rich in historical information about our religious heritage. Its just not a literal document.

So it's truth based on fallacy. Just look how well my building looks; its only the foundations that are rotten. :-?

BTW I find the title of this thread really offends me.

We should never set out to offend anyone. The word really means to cause to stumble. Why would we want to cause anyone to stumble?

Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: (1Co 10:32 KJV)

2005/3/8 14:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy