SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is the baptism in the holy Spirit for us today?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
I do not believe in a "prayer language", or an angelic language that each believer receives (there is no Biblical basis for this belief).

Krispy,
How do you interpret

1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1Co 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Thanks

2005/3/13 10:02Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

Quote:
I do not believe in a "prayer language", or an angelic language that each believer receives (there is no Biblical basis for this belief).

the bible doesn't speak against it either

2005/3/13 10:32Profile
IRONMAN

Re: Is the baptism in the holy Spirit for us today?

There are many gifts of the spirit, tongues is but one of them. If all who received the spirit spoke in tongues, who would be left to heal, minister and carry on the other responsibilities of the church? Just because one doesn't speak in tongues it doesn't mean that the spirit is not there, and on the flip side tongues does not mean that the person is filled with the Holy Spirit either because the devil can counterfeit these gifts too.

2005/3/13 10:49Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

Quote:
The fullness/baptism of the Holy Spirit is for one purpose and that is power over sin! We need to be filled daily and sometimes we will have a supernatural experience and other times it will be a more gradual process but the key is SURRENDER - we cannot be filled unless we are surrendering all areas of our life to God.

OK so the Holy SPirit gives us power over sin and then what? So we receive the spirit and sin no more then what? We must remember the primary reason for the spirit is not to overcome sin but for us to be empowered by God to do HIS WORK. That is what the spirit does. It is God giving us His ability to do His work. The spirit is spirit and the flesh is flesh, sin lives in the flesh and God is dealing with us in the spirit so we can commune with Him in the spirit that we can worship Him in SPIRIT AND TRUTH. Power over sin comes not from purging it out of the flesh but from spending more and more time walking IN THE SPIRIT!!!

2005/3/13 11:02Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

Quote:
The fullness/baptism of the Holy Spirit is for one purpose and that is power over sin! We need to be filled daily and sometimes we will have a supernatural experience and other times it will be a more gradual process but the key is SURRENDER - we cannot be filled unless we are surrendering all areas of our life to God.

We need not be filled ever day with the spirit but rather we need to WALK IN THE SPIRIT EVERY DAY.The Spirit does not pack up and leave every day like a disgruntled lover, it is us who choose not walk in it and hence we don't do the work of God and the spirit is grieved. The work of God is what the spirit lives for and lives by so we need to FEED THE SPIRIT DAILY!!!

2005/3/13 11:06Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
We must remember the primary reason for the spirit is not to overcome sin but for us to be empowered by God to do HIS WORK.

As I understand it the primary purpose is to enable to [u]be[/u] witnesses to Jesus Christ; the [u]doing[/u] is the consequence not the purpose. It is written of the church at Corinth that 'the testimony of Christ was confirmed in them'; but something clearly went wrong. The purpose of the 'baptism' is to make us one with the character, purpose and power of Jesus Christ; I think...

2005/3/13 12:29Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

Philologos
God bless you bro!!!I had long assumed that the purpose of the spirit was to empower us to do the work of God and I was wrong. The spirit's purpose is to allow us to be as Christ (because we can't be like Christ of ourseles) so that WE CAN do God's work. So doing God's work is an effect of becoming like Christ.

2005/3/13 17:29Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re:

Quote:
I believe tongues is for today. I do NOT believe it is the "initial evidence" of being Spirit filled, as my Assemblies brethren do. I do not believe in a "prayer language", or an angelic language that each believer receives (there is no Biblical basis for this belief).

Bro Krispy
I agree that speaking in tongues is not necessarily initial evidence of being filled with the spirit. Each believer does not receive a tongue, some do and some don't accoding to the will of God for that person. The tongues however do allow the spirit of that person to communicate with God without interference from the flesh. As for angelic tongues I know them to exist. There is no biblical basis for this but there is nothing in the bible to refute it either. This is an experience that I have had and can only share. I have nothing in scripture that backs it upThat is what I know God to have willed in my life and unless you were to experience it for yourself it would be abstract.

Also the bible is not an exhaustive list of EVERYTHING that God is or has spoken to His people up to this point. This is not to say that the bible is lacking, the bible is a window for us to see the character of God in the spirit and should be interpreted in spirit, anything less will lead us down the wrong road. Consider this, the early apostles had the first 5 books and other writs but probably no references to tongues but some of them received that gift after Christ said they would. Also not every single thing God spoke to the apostles was written down, some were personal communications to them and some they may have been instructed not to write down. In short the bible is not the be it and end all of the Word of God. The revelations that God gives you may not be mentioned in the bible at all but does that make it any less a word of God? of course not.

Quote:
Conversly, I have heard of missionaries (and know two personally) who were in a country where they didnt know the language, and found themselves speaking to locals in a language they never learned. It seems to me that if God is going to bestow the gift of tongues on someone, this would be the context in which He would do it... where it was speading the gospel and meeting the poor of this world on their level. Not in a chaotic church service where the emotional hype is thru the roof.

It may seem make sense for God to give the gift of tongues to missionaries but the fact is He doesn't. Those missionaries who are comissioned by God get whatever gifts God sees fit for His purpose.God doesn't always do things that make sense to us and what may be chaos in our sight is order in His. The truth is we know NOTHING of how God works. He does not always follow a pattern which we can descern nor does He expect that we do, He simply asks obedience to His ordinances.

shoot me an email [email protected], God just gave me the instruction to get in touch with you earlier on, I'm unsure why.

2005/3/13 18:18Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

bro krispy
that last post for you was from me and when James logged in to check on things the system logged me off so the post came on his profile. sorry about the mixup

2005/3/13 18:22Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Also the bible is not an exhaustive list of EVERYTHING that God is or has spoken to His people up to this point. This is not to say that the bible is lacking, the bible is a window for us to see the character of God in the spirit and should be interpreted in spirit, anything less will lead us down the wrong road. Consider this, the early apostles had the first 5 books and other writs but probably no references to tongues but some of them received that gift after Christ said they would. Also not every single thing God spoke to the apostles was written down, some were personal communications to them and some they may have been instructed not to write down. In short the bible is not the be it and end all of the Word of God. The revelations that God gives you may not be mentioned in the bible at all but does that make it any less a word of God? of course not.

Jimm
I speak with tongues; I have done for over 45 years. So I don't want you to misunderstand the point I want to make. :-)
Of course God can speak to anyone, anyway, anytime, but 'a word from God' is not 'the word of God'. The scriptures are a unique revelation of the mind of God for all time.And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (2Ti 3:15-17 KJV)No other 'utterance' has this authority, so in this sense the bible is 'the be all and end all of the Word of God'. Its omissions were quided by God just as much as its additions. We seem to be missing the original 1 Corinthians; (1 Cor 5:9) we don't have it because it was not necessary for us to have it. Although it may well have contained 'truth' God did not choose this 'truth' as having worldwide and age-lasting signifance. It was no doubt a 'word from God' but it never became 'scripture'. And it is the scriptures which are to be our final court of appeal in all our teachings.

Quote:
Consider this, the early apostles had the first 5 books and other writs but probably no references to tongues but some of them received that gift after Christ said they would.

I am not sure what you are saying here. The 'early apostles' had no books. The earliest writings of the New Testament were probably James and Galatians. But what they did have was a unique equipping of the Spirit which has never been repeated. The early church had the Apostles; we have the writings of the Apostles.

2005/3/14 5:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy