SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Huckabee at Liberty University: Are You Willing to Be Despised for Your Beliefs?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Huckabee at Liberty University: Are You Willing to Be Despised for Your Beliefs?

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee asked students at Liberty University on Monday if they are willing to be scorned for taking a stand for what is morally right, saying that as Christians, they should be different than others in the world.

Huckabee charged the audience attending the weekly Liberty University Convocation to be bold Christians that take a stand for what is right and not just what is popular. "Sometimes we as believers have to say no. Are you willing to be hated, despised and take the type of stand that will not make you popular?" he asked the students.

Liberty University's convocation is North America's largest weekly gathering of Christian students that invites well-known Christian leaders as speakers, including Franklin Graham earlier in January, and will feature NFL quarterback Tim Tebow later this semester.

At Monday's convocation, Huckabee did not mince his words, telling the evangelical students, "If going to a Christian University does not make you uniquely different to the point that you develop such a deep sense of personal calling from what God has called you to do that you are not willing to take man's scorn in order to experience the glory and grace of God, you may be in the wrong place."

read more: http://www.christianpost.com/news/huckabee-at-liberty-university-are-you-willing-to-be-despised-for-your-beliefs-89272/

2013/2/2 9:52Profile

Re: Huckabee at Liberty University: Are You Willing to Be Despised for Your Beliefs?

Governor Huckabee is calling for these students to take a stand for moraity. He DDES NO challenge them to ake a stand for Jesus Christ.

But then I wonder hw could anyone give up tbe high calling of preaching tbe glorious gospel of Jesus Christ to enter into secular politics is a mystery to m

It is my understanding that Ian Paisley could have been one of the most powerful gospel preachers of our age had he not gotten side tracked into Brtttish politics.

My thoughts.

Bearnaster.

2013/2/2 13:18

Re:

"Sometimes we as believers have to say no. Are you willing to be hated, despised and take the type of stand that will not make you popular?" he asked the students."

If you really want to be hated, stand up against the christian right who Huckabee is a regular mouthpiece for. Stand against the idolatry of joining with mormons and the rcc to meet political or moral goals at the expense of the purity of the Gospel. Stand against the war mongering, the hate breeding, the hypocrisy of protesting abortion while they send their sons to drop bombs on villages in the middle east in service to their "american jesus", killing little arab babies for Caesar, claiming to support "biblical marriage" by pimping for a mormon candidate whose doctrine teaches polygamy in service to a fake jesus, and so the list goes on.

Stand up and tell american evangelicals that the christian right is a satanic cult that all true believers should flee from. Stand and tell the evangelicals that they have been made pawns in the hands of these political men and that God now commands them to repent. Stand and tell them that the world offers two camps and so does christendom - liberal and conservative and neither are of God. Better to go with Jesus outside the camp and not join with either place of compromise. Flee from babylon.

In Christ -Jim

2013/2/2 13:45
Compton

Re:

I'm curious, how many regular visitors to SI see Liberty University as a place for right wing hypocrites who worship an "american jesus"?

I'm not angling for a discussion or debate. I personally like and respect the people I know from LU, as much I like and respect the people here.

Thanks in advance for any replys,

MC

2013/2/2 16:14Profile

Re:

I don't know much about Liberty and my comment has nothing to do with them if that is your concern. It is about the culture at large. -jim

2013/2/2 17:20
proudpapa

Re: jimdied2sin

Hi jimdied2sin

jimdied2sin wrote /// my comment has nothing to do with them if that is your concern. It is about the culture at large. -jim///

When in history do you feel that the christian culture got off track ??

What event or events do you feel caused this falling away ??

2013/2/2 17:24Profile
Compton

Re:

Thanks Jim,

I can understand what you are saying about the more conservative religous culture in general.

MC

2013/2/2 17:42Profile

Re:

Mike I am a baby boomer 61 years of age. I was saved in what was known as the Jesus Movement. Then it was about Jesus and souls. Bringing people into a saving relationship with Jesus.

Around tbe mid 70's Satan did not like this. So men such as Jerry Falwell started the Moral Majority. The slogan was " Gettum saved. Gettum baptized. Gettum registered to vote.". After the disapointnent of born again Jimmy Carter. Right wing evangelicals joined with right wing Republicans to elect Ronald Reagan. Then came James Dobson, Pat Robertson, and other conservative evangelical entitis. And the rest is present history.

Explo 72 in Dallas TX was probably the high point of the Jesus Movement. The Jesus Movement was probably the last significant move of God this nation has seen. Then the emphasis was about Jesus. Now it is morality.

The devil has masterfully taken the emphasis off saving souls and put it on saving American culture.

My thoughts.

Bearmaster.

2013/2/2 18:09

Re:

My post is not so much Liberty University as more Huckabee challenging the students to take a stand for what is right. That us pretty vague. How about challenging the students to take a stand for Jesus Christ and die to live for him? How about challenging tbe students to take up tbe cross?

But then that may be a bit too radical.

Bearmaster.

2013/2/2 18:14
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Can speeches like this foster a persecution complex? I bet if you were to take someone who is not a Christian and they hear this speech they might think Mike is a bit off of his rocker. I think it is dangerous to be focused on persecution so much. Just as it is dangerous to be so focused on being anti government because those thoughts can eventually take root and cause and individual to become unglued mentally thinking they are doing right when they are severely deluded in general. The hostage taker in Alabama is a minor example of this.

2013/2/2 18:25Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy