SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Catholic, Protestant Churches Sign Historic Baptism Agreement

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
SkepticGuy

Re:

so r u saying 2 throw away any and all teachings that came from augustine/the catholic church? this would be hard to do since the doctrine of the trinity came from the same sources. thus just becuz someone can trace a teaching back to augustine does not make it heresy. correct?

2013/2/1 8:35Profile
proudpapa

Re: SkepticGuy

Hi SkepticGuy

SkepticGuy wrote ///so r u saying 2 throw away any and all teachings that came from augustine/the catholic church? this would be hard to do since the doctrine of the trinity came from the same sources. thus just becuz someone can trace a teaching back to augustine does not make it heresy. correct?///

No I am not saying that we need to 'throw any and all teachings that came from augustine/the catholic church away', there is often times as much danger in delibertly trying to think or coming to conclusions based soely from a standing of complete opposition of anyones teachings (As some believe was Augustines Downfall)as there is in blindly excepting ones perspective, We can learn and gain insight from anyone.
We must seek truth not deliberate contention but we must also seek truth and not blind exceptance.

I believe that most of the sources that I quoted in my last post gave a balanced and fair perspective of Augustine.
The question remains though where did these men (Augustine and the reformers) go from gaining supernatural insite to loosing the simple understanding of what fullfills the Law ?? (col 2:8)

Romans 13:8
Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law

Romans 13:10
Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law

Galatians 5:14
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself

James ch 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well

We ask whom is our neighbour ?? Luke ch 10, Jesus describes the neighbor as including the one outside of our orthodox belief system, the heratic, And He gives no allusion whatsoever that we are to love him with the Sword.

No where, in the New Testament do I find any allusion whatsoever that loving our neighbour is fulfilled by killing them with Sword, such understanding to me seems in light of the New Testament as preposterous. And makes me sceptical and cautiously question much of their teachings but this does not necessarly mean an absoulute rejection of all that they taught.

2013/2/1 11:28Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy