SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Sabbath

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
turn

USA

Re:

Jesus had a habit of observing the Sabbath:

"And He (Jesus) came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read." (Luke 4:16).

Jesus gave prophecy concerning Sabbaths in the future:

In prophesying the destruction that was to come upon Jerusalem in 70 A.D., which was forty years after His death, Jesus told His followers: "And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath" (Mat 24:20).

Jesus did seven miracles on the Sabbath:

• Jesus healed the man at the pool of Bethesda on the Sabbath (John 5:1-16)

• Jesus healed a demoniac in a synagogue on the Sabbath (Mark 1:21-28)

• Jesus healed Peter’s mother-in-law (and others) on the Sabbath (Mark 1:29-31 ff)

• Jesus healed a man with a deformed hand in a synagogue on the Sabbath (Mark 3:1-6)

• Jesus healed a man born blind on the Sabbath (John 9:1-41)

• Jesus healed a woman bowed over with infirmity in the synagogue on the Sabbath (Luke 18:10-17)

• Jesus healed a man with dropsy (also known as edema or severe swelling) in the house of one of the chief Pharisees on the Sabbath (Luke 14:1-6)

In the beginning, God blessed the Sabbath and sanctified and hallowed it (Genesis 2:3, Exodus 20:11). Hallowed be His Name and His Day.

2013/2/1 9:04Profile
arkp

Re:

This has been such an amazing discussion. To see and hear the different interpretations of what the sabbath means and the day of Rest.

I just had to join in, and share a piece of what the Sabbath means to me as a Day unto the Lord a day of Rest. To some it may mean once a week, while to others it can mean twice a week, and then you have the really crazy that believe it can be five to six times a week!!

----------------------

Then Solomon stood before the altar of the Lord in the presence of all the assembly of Israel, and spread out his hands toward heaven;

And he said: "Lord God of Israel, there is no God in heaven above or on earth below like You, who keep your covenant and mercy with your servants who walk before you with all their hearts.

You have kept what you promised your servant David my father; you have both spoken with your mouth and fulfilled it with Your hand, as it is this day.

Therefore, Lord God of Israel, now keep what you promised Your servant David my father, saying, you shall not fail to have a man sit before Me on the throne of Israel, only if your sons take heed to their way, that they walk before Me as you have walked before Me.And now I pray, O God of Israel, let your word come true, which you have spoken to Your servant David my father.But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain you. How much less this temple which I have build!

Yet regard the prayer of your servant and his supplication, O Lord my God, and listen to the cry and the prayer which your servant is praying before you today:

That your eyes may be open toward this temple night and day, toward the place of which You said, My name shall be there, that you may hear the prayer which Your servant makes toward this place. And may you hear the supplication of your servant and of your people Isreael, when they pray toward this place. Hear in heaven your dwelling place; and when you hear, forgive. When anyone sins against his neighbor, and is forced to take an oath, and comes and takes an oath before your altar in this temple, then hear in heaven, and act, and judge your servants, condemning the wicked, bringing his way on his head, and justifying the righteous by giving him according to his righteousness.

When your people Israel are defeated before an enemy because they have sinned against you, and when they turn back to you and confess your name, and pray and make supplication to you in this temple, then hear in heaven, and forgive the sin of your people Israel, and bring them back to the land which You gave to their fathers.

When the heavens are shut up and there is no rain because they have sinned against you, when they pray toward this place and confess your name, and turn from their sin because you afflict them, then hear in heaven, and forgive the sin of Your servants, your people Israel, that you may teach them the good way in which they should walk; and send rain on your land which You have given to your people as an inheritance.

When there is famine in the land, pestilence or blight or mildew, locusts or grasshoppers; when their enemy besieges them in the land of their cities; whatever plague or whatever sickness there is; whatever prayer, whatever supplication is made by anyone, or by all your people Israel, when each one knows the plague of his own heart, and spreads our his hands toward this temple: then hear in heaven your dwelling place, and forgive, and act, and give to everyone according to all his ways, whose heart You know (for you alone know the hearts of all the sons of men),

That they may fear you all the days that they live in the land which you gave to our fathers.

Moreover, concening a foreigner, who is not of your people Israel, but has come from a far country for Your name's sake (for they will hear of your great name and your strong hand and your outstretched arm), when he comes and prays toward this temple, hear in heaven your dwelling place, and do according to all for which the foreigner calls to you, that all peoples of the earth may know your name and fear you, as do your people Israel, and that they may know that his temple which I have built is called by your name.

When your people go out to battle against their enemy, wherever you send them, and when they pray to the Lord toward the city which you have chosen and the temple which I have built for Your name, then hear in heaven thier prayer and their supplication, and maintain their cause.

When they sin against you (for there is no one who does not sin), and you become angry with them and deliver them tot the enemy, and they take them captive to the land of the enemy, far or near; yet when they come to themselves in the land where they were carried captive, and repent, and make supplication to you in the land of those who took them captive, saying We have sinned and done wrong, we have committed wickedness; and when they return to you with all their heart and with all their soul in the land of their enemies who led them away captive, and pray to you toward their land which you gave to their fathers, the city which you have chosen and them temple which I have built for your name; then hear in heaven your dwelling place their prayer and their supplication, and maintain their cause, and forgive your people who have sinned against you, and all their transgressions which they have transgressed against you; and grant them compassion before those who took them captive, that they may have compassion on them.

(for they are your people and your inheritance, whom you brought out of Egypt, out of the iron furnace),

That your eyes may be open to the supplication of your servant and the supplication of Your people Isarel, to listen to them whenever they call to you.

For You separated them from among all the peoples of the earth to be your inheritance, as you spoke by your servant Moses, when you brought our fathers out of Egypt, O Lord God.

And so it was, when Solomon had finished praying all this prayer and supplication to the Lord, that he arose from before the altar of the Lord from kneeling on his knees with his hands spread up to heaven.

Then he stood and blessed all the assembly of Israel with a loud voice, saying:

Blessed be the Lord, who has given.... REST.... to His people Israel, according to all that He promised. There has not failed one word of all His good promise, which He promised through His servant Moses.

May the Lord our God be with us, as He was with our fathers. May He not leave us nor forsake us,that He may incline our hearts to Himself, to walk in all His ways, and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His judgments, which He commanded our fathers.

And may these words of mine, with which I have made supplication before the Lord, be near the Lord our God day an d night, that He may maintain the cause of His servant and the cause of His people Israel, as each day may require,that all the peoples of the earth may know that the Lord is God; there is no other.

2013/2/1 9:21Profile
jimur

Re:

My ignorance perhaps shows in my statements, but I have yet to find in either the old or new testament where gentiles are told to even acknowledge the Sabbath, let alone celebrate it.
Jesus certainly acknowledged it, but then he was a Jew and lived during a time when the law was still in effect.

2013/2/6 10:29Profile
turn

USA

Re:

<<My ignorance perhaps shows in my statements, but I have yet to find in either the old or new testament where gentiles are told to even acknowledge the Sabbath, let alone celebrate it.
Jesus certainly acknowledged it, but then he was a Jew and lived during a time when the law was still in effect. >>

If we love the Lord Jesus, then we will keep His Commandments (John 14:15). Faith works by love (Galatians 5:6) and if faith doesn’t work, then it is a dead faith and not a saving faith (James 2:26). Sin is lawlessness. Law remains (Matthew 5:18). Sin remains. Faith and obedience are linked as noted in the New Testament by Jesus and by Paul in Romans and by Peter at the least. Not every Scriptural direction is a direct command. There are many subtleties to be discerned and treasures to be dug out of Scripture (Proverbs 1:1-2:9). Every Scripture from Genesis to Revelation remains profitable (2 Timothy 3:16).

Ignorance by either willfulness or neglect is not good. It is not good for souls to be without knowledge (Proverbs 19:2). Because souls do not like to retain God in their knowledge (Romans 1:28), men and women fall to sinful lusts that war against the soul. Without a good conscience, people of professed faith can end up ruined with shipwrecked lives. More than a few have preached that willful ignorance is sin. According to the New Testament, we should flee temptation, hate evil and cling to what is good.

In the Book of Revelation, the Apostle John talked about being the Spirit on the Lord's Day. The Book of Revelation is not superseded by any later book. If the Book of Revelation includes recognition and observance of a day that belonged to God, should we not do the same? It is good to give the first day to God each week rather than to the world.

The Lord Jesus, Savior of God’s people, said in Mark 2:27 that “The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath”. Given that what Jesus taught is profitable and that the nature of man has not changed, should we not continue to follow that pattern of one day set apart in seven that Jesus taught was made for the benefit of mankind?

The Lord Jesus Christ observed the sabbath regularly (Luke 4:16) and also taught that He was Lord of the Sabbath (Matthew 12:8, Mark 2:28, Luke 6:5). Is Jesus now Lord of less than He once was? Are Sabbaths meaningless? God forbid. God forbid. Let there be liberties enjoyed in how the Sabbath is observed in accordance with Jesus and not according to the pattern of the Pharisees but let Jesus rule as Lord of the Sabbath even now.

Some have argued that the Old Testament Sabbath on the seventh day of the week was changed at the Resurrection of Jesus Christ to become the Lord’s Day to be observed on the first day of the week. I agree. Details on that can be researched and studied. The Apostle Paul gathered with the early church at Troas on the first day of the week (Acts 20:7) when those at Troas met regularly to break bread.

If churches do not continue to meet on the first day of the week, how is that better? For centuries since the Resurrection of Jesus, Sunday has been a day on which Christians gathered (Hebrews 10:24-25), the Word of God is preached and taught, young and old are instructed, new disciples are baptized, the Lord’s Supper is observed, discipleship deepens, the Holy Spirit works, people are brought to saving faith. The Christian religion is revived every Sunday. Do we want it to revive any less?

The pattern of a day of rest every seven days was begun in Genesis 2:2-3. Then, God blessed and sanctified the day. Have any blessings of God been revoked and removed? God forbid. The Sabbath is prophesied to continue in the Millenium period (Isaiah 66:23). The pattern of a day of rest in the week existed in Genesis 2 and Exodus 16 before the law of Moses (Exodus 20) and it continues today. There remains a rest for the people of God (Hebrews 4:9). While we are not fully there yet, we can enjoy a foretaste of eternal rest and delight on every Sunday of the Eternal Sabbaths to come.

Sunday is a day for gathering the saints, worship, preaching the Word and often a day for doing Christian service. Sunday has often been the day when the sick and prisoners were visited and when hospitality was most often practiced (Matthew 25). Sunday is a day for deeper Bible study and prayer than is normally possible on other days. The Apostle Peter ended his epistles with a command that we grow in grace and in the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:18). Observance of the Lord’s Day is a means of growth in grace and knowledge of Christ. Let us not neglect growth in grace. Keep yourselves in the love of God (Psalm 31:23, Jude 1:21). It is good and right to set apart one day to give to the Kingdom of God rather than to give it to the kingdoms of this world. You need the day. It is good for you. Study the gospels and see that Jesus healed on the Sabbath like on no other day. It is good to be like the early church at Troas (Acts 20:7) and the Apostles Paul and John and set apart that first day of the week.

2013/2/7 9:10Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

In the Book of Revelation, the Apostle John talked about being the Spirit on the Lord's Day. The Book of Revelation is not superseded by any later book. If the Book of Revelation includes recognition and observance of a day that belonged to God, should we not do the same? It is good to give the first day to God each week rather than to the world.

It is true that Apostle John was in spirit in Lord's day. But the book of Revelation does NOT say that Apostle John was in spirit only on the lord's day and rest of the days he did not want the spirit. Instead Bible says we need to live and walk in the spirit everyday (Galatians 5:16). Hence our Sabbath is for everyday of our life. It is good to remain in spirit for 1 day but it is greater calling to remain in spirit for all days of our life. Zac Poonen has written an article on this subject that was posted in SI recently, I would recommend it to read it to understand what I mean.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=47953&forum=34&3

Quote:

The Lord Jesus Christ observed the sabbath regularly (Luke 4:16) and also taught that He was Lord of the Sabbath (Matthew 12:8, Mark 2:28, Luke 6:5). Is Jesus now Lord of less than He once was? Are Sabbaths meaningless? God forbid. God forbid. Let there be liberties enjoyed in how the Sabbath is observed in accordance with Jesus and not according to the pattern of the Pharisees but let Jesus rule as Lord of the Sabbath even now.

True, Jesus is the Lord of Sabbath. But by observing Sabbath only for one day you are making Jesus as Lord only for one day. What kind of king is he who will be ruler only for one day and will let his people live as they wish rest of the days? Our Calling is to have Jesus as our Lord all 7 days a week.

Jesus said in Matthew 11:28- Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest (Sabbath).

He did not say that he will give us rest only one day of the week. Or he did not say just come to me only for one day a week. Our calling is to remain in Jesus every 7 days of a week. Hence have rest with him all 7 days of a week.

He further says in verse 29 that 'Take my yoke upon you'. What is this rest in which you are asked to take a yoke upon you? Is not taking yoke a work. The point here is not physical rest like how the Jews assumed, it is spiritual rest. Not to have unrest or anxiety in our spirit or life and to carry the yoke of Jesus in which Jesus is carrying the majority of load.

2013/2/7 11:31Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

turn said,

Quote:
Have any blessings of God been revoked and removed? God forbid.

1 Samuel 15.

2013/2/7 14:58Profile

Re:

" It is good to give the first day to God each week rather than to the world. "

If the other six days of are lives are given to the world we are not saved no matter what we do on the other one. Jesus requires that every day is given to him. The shadows required 10% of income and 1/7 days. The reality in Christ demands everything or we can not be His disciple. The law pointed to Christ, but now that Christ has come we have a better covenant. This does not negate some from keeping a day as a matter of faith but the "God vrs world" argument shows how far we are from the NT reality of walking in the present kingdom of God on earth every day.

-Jim

2013/2/7 19:19

Re:

Have any blessings of God been revoked and removed? God forbid. "

They have been replaced by a greater blessing, His name is Jesus. I am glad to be blessed in Jesus. It is good to be saved. I remember when I was in bondage to rules about sabbaths and tithing as a young believer and thankful Jesus has lead me out of churchianity and into the reality of His kingdom. If anyone keeps a day they must keep it to themselves as a matter of faith between them and God, to push it on others is to keep it as a law and shows it is a cursed work that is not of faith.

Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Hebrews 7:22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

2013/2/7 19:25
a-servant

Re:

Changing of times and ordinances really only makes sense if you also rewrite history at the same time.

Could not have happened? Oh yes it did, there are powerful forces involved here.

Quote " When they got to the tomb BEFORE daylight Sunday, He was already risen. When did He rise? That depends upon when He was crucified and put into the tomb. When careful research and study is done one finds that Passover, or the day of preparation, the 14th of Nissan, when Messiah Yeshua, (Christ Jesus), was crucified was on Wednesday. He said IT IS FINISHED: and He bowed His head, and gave up the ghost, at about the 9th hour, or 3:00pm, Wednesday, Nissan 14, in 30 AD. The Perfect Passover Lamb of God, by His Precious Blood, totally defeated
Satan, and Redeemed the fullness of the earth, which He had created. Had the princes of this world known, they would not have crucified the Lord of Glory.

Obviously, since He was in the earth 3 days and 3 nights, being crucified on Wednesday, it was Wednesday night, Thursday, Thursday night, Friday, Friday night, Saturday. He rose on Saturday, the Sabbath, The Lord's Day. Yes, Yeshua the Messiah, Jesus Christ, arose from thedead on Saturday, the Sabbath."

2013/2/7 19:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy