SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Sabbath

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
elderlemon

The Sabbath

I attend a non demoninational fellowship in England, and attend church on Sundays.

I watched this video on youtube and would please like to know some thoughts, backed up by scripture. I don't consider myself to have great insight or biblical knowledge. Right or wrong I couldn't find myself disagreeing with what was said. Although I'm not sure it was fair to publicly denounce another preacher/teacher.

Here is the link if anybody has time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pePXZ-DPbk

Regards,
Neil

2013/1/26 17:39Profile

Re: The Sabbath

Neil I listened to a good part of the YouTube message. The teacher giving the message is a Messianic Jew. They believe Old Testament laws are still binding upon New Covenant believers today. In their minds there is no division between the covenants. Thus the teacher is insisting the Sabbath as binding up on believers today.

I would suggest you read the book of Hebrews. Particularly pay close attention to chapter 4. This chapter speaks of Christ being our Sabbath rest. The emphasis is not so much on a day as more on the person of Jesus Christ. The book of Hebrews also shows the transition from the Old Covenant to the New Covenant. This is tbe covenant followers of Jesus are under.

Hope tbis helps.

Bearmaster.

2013/1/26 19:03
jimp

Re:

hi, there is no argument on the sabbath .fri.sundown to sat sundown.jimp
Jesus is our sabbath rest.

2013/1/26 20:16Profile
elderlemon

Re:

Thanks for replies. I'm just a bit curious about this.

2013/1/27 16:22Profile
Sree

Re:

Sabbath was given to man by God to do god's work. Man shall do his work(will) 6 days a week and on 7th day he will do God's work and rest in peace with him. But the Jews took it by letter and obstrained from doing any work on Sabbath. Jesus showed them the true meaning by healing men on sabbath purposely. Jesus showed them that Sabbath was given to do God's work.

In new covenant we have the spirit of Jesus(holy spirit) living in us who will direct us to do God's will all 7 days a week. Hence we do not need to keep just one day for doing God's work which is a Lower standard than doing it all 7 days.

Anyone who is asking us to follow sabbath is therefore living in old covenant which is a lower standard.

2013/1/27 17:28Profile
MrJob62

Lynchburg VA

Re: The Sabbath

Romans 6:23 says the wages of sin death. Keeping the law can never pay the penalty for sin. It was never meant to. Only Christ' sacrifice can do that. The purpose of the law is to tell us how to live and treat one another and it defines sin.
1 John 3:4
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Jesus kept the law and we are to imitate Christ. You can't do a very good imitation of Christ if you are continually breaking his commandments. The Sabbath is one of those commands. I don't want to go into which day is the Sabbath but I will say that there are blessings built into the keeping of any of God's commandments. It is easy to see the blessings of keeping the Sabbath; a closeness to God and our brethren, time set aside to get into His word and being exposed to the gifts of the spirit dispersed through out the congregation just to name a few.

Jesus said that where two or more are gathered in his name he would be there also. Since that is the case it is our presence together in His name that makes the time Holy.

James

2013/1/27 19:11Profile

Re:

MrJob62:

John never equates the word commandment with the law of Moses in his Gospel account or epistles. The OT demanded 1 day per week and 10% of your increase. Jesus Christ demands 100% of everything or you can not be His disciple. True believers die to the letter of the law of Moses through the body of Christ. The law is the ex husband we are freed from through death to serve Christ, our new husband that we may bring forth true fruit to God.

1John 3:21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God; and whatever we ask we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him. And this is his commandment, that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us.

Romans 7:1 Or do you not know, brothers--for I am speaking to those who know the law--that the law is binding on a person only as long as he lives? For a married woman is bound by law to her husband while he lives, but if her husband dies she is released from the law of marriage. Accordingly, she will be called an adulteress if she lives with another man while her husband is alive. But if her husband dies, she is free from that law, and if she marries another man she is not an adulteress. Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God.

2013/1/27 19:21
jimp

Re:

sree, sabbath means rest.6 days to do Gods work and your own.1 day of rest.that is what the Jews did and do .they do not even drive on the sabbath they are not to sweat on the sabbath.jimp

2013/1/27 20:32Profile
Sree

Re:

But the bible begs to defer from you. You are quoting what the Jews understood about sabbath which is wrong. They took it as a letter and did not see the spirit behind it. That is why they blamed Jesus for healing on sabbath. If sabbath means rest then Jesus broke it and hence he is a sinner. Praise god he did not command sabbath for that purpose.

Exodus 35:2-
For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a holy day, a sabbath of complete rest to the LORD; whoever does any work on it shall be put to death. 3 "You shall not kindle a fire in any of your dwellings on the sabbath day."

God wanted them to rest from their work and keep a day holy in fellowship with him. But in new covenant he we have fellowship with God all the time hence every day is a sabbath for true Christians.

2013/1/27 20:51Profile
jimp

Re:

sre, of course! but the sabbath is a jewish term for jews writen by jews from the God of the jews so i am giving the jewish spin to the sabbath.it is not intended for the gentile world. this is the topic of the blog.jimp

2013/1/27 21:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy