SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : So What Exactly is the Bible?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

So What Exactly is the Bible?

2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousnes so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

After viewing the Revelation thread I felt the need to open up this thread. My question. What exactly is the Bible? There are some who are reasoning that the Bible is a history book. They would imply that events in the Bible have been fulfilled. Thus tbe implication is that tbe Bible in itself has no prophetic element. Merely history that has been fulfilled.

Then where is the power of God's word? Where is the present inspiration of scripture? Where is that dynamic that says the word is living and active and sharper than any two edged sword? Where e authority of tbe Son of God who told Satan "It is written".

So is the Bibke only a history book? Or is there another dimension to this unique book we called the Holy Scriptures?

Bearnaster.

2013/1/25 18:24
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: So What Exactly is the Bible?

Bear, to answer your question, the issue that is confusing you is the Preterist view of prophecy. Their method of interpreting prophecy is applied to other scriptures, especially those that defy logic. Basically, what it comes down to is if it cannot be reasoned out by logic, it must be viewed at being symbolic. You end up with a method of interpretation that depends on a few for understanding the WORD. The bottom line is that you will need to have so-and-sos books to assist you in understanding the scriptures. Some would disagree with this evaluation but if you listen to them long enough you will find this philosophy creep in. I find them unreliable...

Does this mean that others will understand prophecy perfectly? No, because it is still unfolding, much like it was for the Jews when Jesus came. If you study the OT prophecy of Jesus' coming, life, mission, etc, note how it was written, and how it was fulfilled. This will give you a clue on how prophecy is to be understood.

The Bible is not a riddle book written to confuse man. It is God's love letter to his creation and is to be understood as such.

Hope this helps...

2013/1/25 22:41Profile

Re: GinnyRose

Thank you dear sister. Your answer makes very good sense.

Bear

2013/1/25 23:44
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Philippians 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Reveal from where?

1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Revealed by the living Word through whom?

The Comforter from the Father prayed for by Jesus.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

The Word in the believer is alive and full of revelation the World cannot conceive. We are the walking living Word of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Walk in the Spirit, live by the Spirit and the Truth and revelation of Jesus Christ will set us free and deliver us from all evil and pay the deposit on our Home in our Father's House Jesus is preparing for us, the son's of God.

In Christ; Phillip

2013/1/26 3:15Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

The Bible is just a book to the world, but to those that are being saved it is the Living Word Himself bring forth His life and Word in each of those that God calls His offspring, the sons' of God, by the Holy Spirit, our Parakleet, in us forever.

2013/1/26 3:16Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, from gen,3:15 forward to the new testament it is the story of the seed line and satans efforts to thwart the promise made to eve by God. when the promised One came it is all about Jesus and why He was sent... the cross is the new covenant cut by Jesus for God and man in His body for the world to be saved.jimp

2013/1/26 3:49Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

The BIble says what it is... Heb 4:12

Bear...you have an affinity for making extreme statements in order to get people's dander up.

Some Christians believe that some "last days" prophecies have a past fulfillment. This DOES NOT mean they reject Heb 4:12.

2013/1/26 9:58Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

TMK,

To those who are ignorant of the Preterist view of prophecy, it can be very unnerving, unsettling. What I wrote is what I have read and observed in life. Let me share a bit more.

A group I know who holds to the Preterist view has taken it upon themselves to work to bring in the millennium. They do not believe in Biblical non-resistance but believe in pacifism. They will work to get the gov to operate according to pacifist philosophy. They will also have sit-ins, at nuclear weapons sites - work to disarm the USA...They are big on doing humanitarian works. Intellectualism is the guiding factor in how the Scriptures is to be understood. This group has apostatized terribly.

Another. One group does not believe Jesus was made of the seed of a woman but that God implanted a fertilized ovum into Mary's womb! You see, it just is not logical that the Holy Spirit would fertilize a female's ova. Now, if you pursue this philosophy you know where you will end up at. This group has a serious problem with legalism.

I do not know how many among these groups know the LORD. I know people in the second group is fairly ignorant. When I was a young woman I was told by one person in this group that I should not study the Bible so much because I would soon know more then the preachers! Made me mad - for a while - because competing with another on Bible knowledge was not even on my radar! I just loved the WORD and immersed myself in it. If this was a threat to some church leader, so be it. Anyhow, this is or was their mindset.

TMK, all I am saying is that I believe Bear does have a good reason to be concerned.

God bless.

2013/1/26 10:37Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hi Ginnyrose-

There will always be loonies and extremists in any camp. I am sure that there are loony and extreme dispensationalists as well, like those evangelical groups spending millions and millions to make sure that a Jewish temple is rebuilt in Jerusalem(a system which was once and finally eradicated by the New Covenant) and also trying to breed a perfect red heifer for sacrifice in this re-built temple.

There is a range of preterism. Full preteriest believe that the 2nd coming of Christ occurred in the 1st century. I think this is outrageous. Then there are partial preterists who believe that a whole lot of prophecy has already been fulfilled but that Jesus is still coming back.

I guess I fall somewhat shy of partial preterism. This is because I do believe that Jesus was talking about 70 AD in the Olivet discourse, but I am not exactly sure what to do with Revelation. It is so vague and the language is so apocalyptic that I don't believe anybody really can. That is why I like the the first three chapters best, before all the crazy stuff starts happening.

What concerns me is the mindset that people who don't agree with our interpretation of things somehow don't respect the Bible, are less spiritual than we are, or at worst heretics. I know of partial preterists who are the best Christian people i know, in sll respects.

A few years back I would have thought that even the partial preterist view was whacked. Of course that is when i was a "left-behindist" because that is all I was ever taught about the "end times." It was not until I actually took the time for myself to study what the partial preterists say that I began to be swayed. Comparing scripture with scripture, the partial preterist view is pretty solid.

People don't want to accept this, but neither will they take the time to really look into it with an open mind. An open mind is key, because we all bring tons of baggage when we interpet scripture.

2013/1/26 11:07Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: TMK

Hi TMK,

I agree with you that there are some loonie & extreeme views in all camps, including pre-millenial and dispensational views.

However, you said this about the book of Revelation "I am not exactly sure what to do with Revelation. It is so vague and the language is so apocalyptic that I don't believe anybody really can. That is why I like the the first three chapters best, before all the crazy stuff starts happening."

Can I gently and in respect suggest that maybe the reason that the book of Revelation seems hard to understand to you and that it has a lot of "crazy stuff" is because it does not fit into your partial preterist thinking.
What you refer as 'vague' and 'crazy' comprises of 19 chapters of information given directly to the Apostle John by Jesus in vision. I don't believe we can dismiss this important section of scripture as something we are not supposed to, or unable to understand.

"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants--things which must shortly take place." (Revelation 1:1)

When viewed as the revelation of Jesus Christ to show us what will take during 'The day of the LORD' (i.e that final day of God's wrath) it makes a lot of sense. Not that I claim to understand every detail, but the overall scene that is presented here is clearly seen as a progressive judgement that will take place on earth sometime future, because in no way has anything close to this happened yet.

2013/1/26 17:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy