SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Life and Diary of David Brainerd

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

The Life and Diary of David Brainerd

David Brainerd-Sunday, april 4 1742

O my Blessed God! let me climb up near to Him, and love, and long, and plead, and wrestle, and strech after Him, and for deliverence from the body of sin and death. Alas! my soul mourned to think i should ever lose sight of its Beloved again. O come, Lord Jesus, amen.

After reading the book, The life and Diary of David Brainerd, I have found myself to be very blessed. Reading of his life, and how he suffered such physical illness and still sought to be a servant to others and the LORD is such a testimony to what CHRIST can do in the heart of a willing servant. If you have time and feel led to I would recommend this book. It is such an encouraging read.

God bless
mj

2013/1/21 19:43Profile
jimp

Re: The Life and Diary of David Brainerd

hi, this is the book most highly tauted to me by len ravenhill and the man he ranked the highest...i can hear him now describing him in the woods ,spitting blood and knee deep in snow praying for the salvation of the native american indians.jimp

2013/1/21 22:17Profile

brother jim p

before i even really listened to Len, i was led to this book, and have read it numerous times, much to my blessing and encouragement.....and always underlining my OWN 'smallness'....and now to see MJ, SO BLESSED by "The Life of Brainerd", makes my heart very happy.

i peaise God that Jonathan Edwards death bed appeals to David didnt go in vain, as David had absolutely NO INTENTION, that these private diaries be up for publication, but President Edwards appealed to David's "long view" of how these journals would continue to serve, encouraging saints the world over, long after David went to be with Jesus.....and THEY HAVE, praise the Name of Jesus Messiah!

and if anybody wants to hear a romantic story.....not of the junky old 'romance' stories afoot today, let me share this......16 year old Jerusha Edwards, Jon's daughter cared for David the last six months of his life. They TRULY loved each other, with a love pure, because Jerusha contracted David's fatal TB, and also went to be with the Lord, not six months after David crossed the Jordan.

no greater love! to entice any here to read this annointed testimony, let me post up, a paper John Piper wrote about Brainerd.

http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/biographies/oh-that-i-may-never-loiter-on-my-heavenly-journey

now go buy this book and read it, and may God set your heart aflame for the souls He paid for, in Jesus love, neil

2013/1/22 8:56
MaryJane

Re: brother jim p

Neil wrote:

, let me share this......16 year old Jerusha Edwards, Jon's daughter cared for David the last six months of his life. They TRULY loved each other, with a love pure, because Jerusha contracted David's fatal TB, and also went to be with the Lord, not six months after David crossed the Jordan.

IT is a beautiful love story for it does speak of the heart and the love of JESUS in a servants life. I did some further research and discovered that Jerusha was devoted in her service to David Brainerd day and night during the months leading up to his death. She nursed him and cared for him. She saw him as a faithful servant to our LORD JESUS and a brother in CHRIST. Jonathan Edwards wrote of his daughter's service and devotion to GOD in caring for David Brainerd. A quote from Jonathan Edwards about his daughter:

"She had manifested a heart uncommonly devoted to God, in the course of her life, many years before her death; and said on her deathbed that she had not seen one minute for several years wherein she desired to live one minute longer for the sake of any other good in life but doing good, living to God, and doing what might be for his glory.“

Such love, and devotion for another comes from JESUS. These two loved and cared for one another and for those around them without regard to self. David spoke often of just desiring to have enough strength so that he might continue to teach his Indians. Often as he lay sick and coughing up blood his prayers were for them and not self. Their desire was to see JESUS glorified and lifted up. CHRIST was the center of their lives, reading these stories has blessed me and caused me to reflect on the love and care that CHRIST has for HIS own.

Jerushra died at the age of seventeen just six months after David Brainerd and they were both laid to rest in Northhampton, Massachusetts, their graves next to one another.

Thank you Neil for sharing the link with us.

God bless
mj

2013/1/22 9:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy