SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Greatest Sign of Spiritual Maturity - Simpson

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

The Greatest Sign of Spiritual Maturity - Simpson

Days of Heaven on Earth
Sunday, January 20, 2013
By A. B. Simpson

Someone has said that the most spiritual people are the easiest to get along with. When one has a little of the Holy Spirit it is like "a little learning, a dangerous thing." But a full baptism of the Holy Spirit and a really disciplined established and tested spiritual life makes one simple, tender, tolerant, considerate and childlike.

James and John, in their early zeal, want to call down fire from heaven on the Samaritans. But John, the aged, allowed Demetrius to exclude him from the church, and, with the patience of Jesus, suffered on Patmos for the kingdom. And aged Paul was willing to take back even Mark, whom he had refused as a companion in his early ministry and to acknowledge that he was profitable to him for the ministry.

I want the love that cannot help but love;

Loving, like God, for very sake of love.

A spring so full that it must overflow,

A fountain flowing from the throne above.

Now abideth faith, hope, [love]; but the greatest of these is [love] (1 Corinthians 13:13).

Scripture
Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of—Luke 9:55

2013/1/20 9:28Profile

Re: The Greatest Sign of Spiritual Maturity - Simpson

Amen brother, this has been my experience as well, the closer one is to the Lord, then he is definately all these things that A.B mentioned............bro Frank

2013/1/20 11:33
arkp

Amen AbideinHim, me too.

Thanks for the scripture..

2013/1/20 19:23Profile
romanchog

While it is true that someone full of the Holy Spirit is full of love, which must mean the love of GOD, this does not necessarily mean that one is easy to get along with. If that were the case, everyone would get along with God Who is perfect love.

It is dangerous to make such generalizations and can easily lead to people compromising the Truth and Holiness of the gospel because they perceive that if they are not easy to get along with they must not be in mature in the Spirit, when it may very well be the opposite. It may be that their absolute devotion to the LORD and His holiness makes them an offense to others.

We are warned that "all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution." 2 Tim 3:16

Only a life lived full of the Spirit can tell us whether our "not getting along" is due to fleshly, worldly, and evil desires within us or as a result of the worldy and fleshly rejecting the Holiness of the Spirit within us.

2013/1/21 10:17Profile

Re:

Roman, people full of the Holy Spirit, such as A.B was talking about, do not compromise. Compromise and being full of the Holy Spirit does not go together. Okay, so that's the compromise dealt with :) Obviously non compromisers are not going to please all of the folks, and that would be fine and the choice of others, not the one full of the Holy Spirit.

Everywhere Jesus went He drew a crowd, people were drawn to Jesus, yes most of them ultimately rejected Him, but they were undoubtedly drawn to Him. I have found, that people who are full of the Holy Spirit and full of the love of God, draw people, people of the world, for they see in them something genuine, something not of this world, something not religious.

This kind of love is so important, highlighted in 1 Cor 13. Without a love for the world then we cannot be used by God. If we do not love what God loves then it is an indication of our proximity to God. The closer we are to God, the more we will love what He loves and His greatest love of all was for the world that He created, so much so that He sent His precious Son to die for them.

Yes, those who live a Godly life in Christ will suffer persecution, but if 2000 years of history proves anything, the persecution comes from the religious. When I came to Christ, I was a Bricklayer. I laid bricks for another 12 years after becoming a Christian. Construction workers are a tough crowd, but for some reason they respected me. Many men would apologise to me for cursing in front of me, although I had never said anything to them about it, how could I , I had cursed more than any of them prior to coming to Jesus. The genuiness of your walk and your love will draw people to you and will make the religious despise you. Now the people drawn to you may not come to Jesus, but they will never question the genuiness of who you are and if in trouble, will come knocking on your door.........bro Frank

2013/1/21 10:58

A few moments ago I received a letter update from a young sister who is at bible college here in the UK. In it she said “The way to 'win' people from the world is to be like Jesus, NOT that you become like the world.” How wonderful and how true. Beyond this simplicity however lies a reality of being “in” the world. Who would want to spoil such a simple and lovely understanding. The thing is however, as this young sister presses on she will find that just as Christ was hated by the world so will we if our faith in Him causes others to recognise that we too are not of the world. In some very profound and fundamental sense the mind of the world which is expressed through unbelief will clash and war against the mind which is not of this world. Jesus was followed by crowds and certainly did provoke many sincere affirmations of His ministry and its effects. This same crowd however at other times wanted to throw Jesus off a cliff or else stone Him to death. In the end they cried “crucify Him”. There is no such thing as one effect or another effect. To those who are perishing we are an object of contempt and hatred. To those who are being saved we are the very aroma of life. Herein lies the true distinction. As with most things it is a balance born out of reality of Christ regardless of men. One day we are respected and in that sense we are loved, the next day we may be hated and despised and in this sense those who hate us would also murder us. "Know you not that he who loveth not his brother is a murderer". The hatred of the world is no less true.

2013/1/21 11:34
Sree

Jesus was spiritually mature, he was able to sit and eat food with sinners like tax collectors. But the Pharisees who had only external holiness were not able to accept sinners, they did not have this divine love that Jesus had. But Jesus though he had a compassion for sinners, he was always telling them the truth about their Sin. He preached repentance to them. He gave them a hope to have an overcoming life if the were willing to repent and believe in him. Jesus was able to harshly speak about their sins because he had a heart to die for their sins. If I do not have genuine divine concern for the sins of the world then I have no authority to speak about their sins and asking them to repent.

If you compare Sinful life to a disease then we will be open about our disease to a doctor who has a compassion and will to cure us. Jesus was such a doctor to the sinners. This is our calling as well.

2013/1/21 12:42Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

If we are honest, we will all have to admit that there have been many times that we have not spoken the truth in love, or because of the fear of man have compromised the truth.

As we grow in the Lord, we will be a savor of life to those that are seeking the Lord. This fragrance of Jesus will attract men to the Lord. Only Jesus can satisfy, and when we are seperated from the world and it's pleasures and have our satisfaction in Jesus alone, then men will either be attracted to us or they will persecute us.

Yes, it is important to be uncompromisisng and proclaim the truth, but I have known people whose goal in life was to get everyone straightened out that were meaner than the devil. Do you really think that they were leading people to Jesus, and that people wanted what they had? No, the critical, fault finding spirit had just the opposite effect of turning people away from the Lord.

True spiritual maturity is allowing Jesus to shine through us. We have been called to be ambassadors for Christ and ministers of reconciliation.

Mike

2013/1/21 13:49Profile

Re:

Mike writes.........

"Yes, it is important to be uncompromisisng and proclaim the truth, but I have known people whose goal in life was to get everyone straightened out that were meaner than the devil. Do you really think that they were leading people to Jesus, and that people wanted what they had? No, the critical, fault finding spirit had just the opposite effect of turning people away from the Lord."

This is why the genuine love of God, burning in our hearts for a lost and dying world is so important.........bro Frank

2013/1/21 15:00

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy