SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Things that My husband learned from God.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
romanchog

Re:

I was using my husband's Bible this morning in my quiet time, since he annotated so many things that the Lord taught him, and it was brought to my rememberance a teaching that he was so concerned to get into the hearts of all people he knew that claimed to be Christians.

In Matthew 7: 21-22, Jesus speaks of those who will call on His name:
“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never KNEW you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

When first studying this, my husband was deeply troubled. This was a few years ago, at a time when the Father was showing my husband how little he really loved Him.

In reading this scripture, Christ speaks of people who display acts performed by the power of the Holy Spirit, and God still says "I never knew you."

My husband questioned then what it takes for Christ to NOT say this to us.

The short answer to this he found in 1 Cor 8:3 - "But if anyone loves God, this one is known by Him."

The key, then, for Christ to know us, is that WE LOVE GOD.
If we love God, then we are known by Him and He will not reject us.

Therefore, the ONLY THING that matters ON THIS EARTH is to love God with all our hearts, all our soul, all our strenght, and all our minds. It is what is going to be asked of us when we our hearts stop and we stand before God: Did you love God with all your life? Did you live to please HIM?

That is why this is the greatest commandment.

When he learned this, he was in fact walking in his own strength and did not in fact love God. While he had a great deal of HEAD knowledge of the scripture, he did not know the scripture according to the Spirit so great fear entered his heart that he would enter eternity some day and God would say to him, "Depart from me I never knew you!"

It changed his life entirely, and he searched the scriptures and God and became a man who sought after God's heart day and night, who repudiated sin and the world and looked into eternity.

He also focused on the second part of the rejection: "all those who practice lawlessness." He looked up the Greek for "lawlessness" and found that the word for this is "anomia" which means without (a-) law (-nomia). Therefore, Christ rejects those who have no law.

Connecting these two thoughts together:
If you love God, He knows you AND you will have law.

But what law? This does not refer to the law of the Old Testament, although that is included in it since it was revealed by God. It refers to the law of the Spirit (Rom 8:2 - "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.") This law is lived out by living in the Holy Spirit, and allows us to understand, as Christ did, that anger is murder and lust is adultery.

My husband sought to live in the Spirit, and was distressed at how often he failed. From my point of view, however, he changed to be such a godly man that I found little fault in him. The Spirit of the Lord was truly living in him.

2013/1/21 11:17Profile
romanchog

Re:

On rereading my last post, I noticed that I left out a very important part of this teaching.

Chirst Himself told us what we need to do. (I do not know how to use the quote feature, which would make this easier to read).

First: Repent! (Mat 4:17). It is the first thing that Christ preached. (At some point I may post the study that my husband did on repentance).

Second: Follow him! (Matthew 4:19)

How do we follow? Go to Matthew 16: 23-25.
<quote>
23 But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.”

24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.

25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
</quote>

<b>Expanded and explained</b>
23 But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.”

If we are thinking of the things of the world, we are an offense to God and to Christ. James 4:4 calls this adultery.
<quote>"Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God." </quote>
The apostle John also warns of this in 1 John 2:15-16: <quote> "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world."</quote>

We are commanded to keep our thoughts on the things of heaven: <quote> "IF THEN you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God." Col 3:1-3.</quote>

Some may say that it is difficult to keep our minds on the things above all the time. He often used this as an illustration to answer this. When we first fall in love with our spouse, we cannot stop thinking of him/her all day long. We seek every moment to be with that person or talk with that person. If we do this with earthly love, how is it that if we say that we love God, we hardly think of him at all during the day? Often, it is considered a burden!

Obviously this is something we ask the Holy Spirit to give us, but it is something that we must seek after. The beginning of this is to fill ourselves with the Word and sit in prayer and meditation of the Word day and night.

So verse 23 teaches us that to follow Christ, we must first set our minds on the things above where Christ is, and stop being mindful of the things of men.

24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. Following Christ also means DENYING yourself. This means that we submit our will to the will of the Father.

Following Christ also means taking your cross: DYING. We must die so that He can live in us.

[This verse just took new meaning for me. One day, at a point when he could barely speak, he woke up and asked me: "Who do we follow?" I answered: "Christ." He nodded his head and closed his eyes again. He was telling me to remember this. Deny myself and die to self.]

25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
It is only after we set our minds on Christ, deny ourselves, and die that this verse means anything. If we do not do these things, we are saving OUR fleshly life, which means that we lose life eternal. But if we LOSE our fleshly life FOR HIS SAKE, we will find life eternal.

2013/1/21 11:58Profile
romanchog

Re:

I post these things for my own edification as well. There is much that I learned from listening to my husband. He was a great teacher, and spoke of the gospel to everyone he met. I feel inadequate as a speaker. I cement things in my mind (and can use that to speak) by writing them down. In writing this down, I have been reminded of so many things he used to tell me and others from the Word. It is as if he is teaching me all over again. Of course, it is the Holy Spirit, and that is what my husband would say when I was amazed at his insights into the word.

This is an answer to my prayer for God to remind me of all He taught me through my husband so that I can raise my children in the fear of the LORD. I know that I cannot stay in this place, and must receive my own revelations and establish my own relationship with the Holy Spirit, but this is a place to begin.

2013/1/21 12:05Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy