SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are the scriptures sufficient?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Are the scriptures sufficient?

2 Timothy 3:16 - 17

All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness so that tbe man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Is this true? Are tbescriptures sufficient to instruct us in the ways of Christ? If they are not then why?

Bearmaster.

2013/1/4 20:32
andres

texas,brownsville

Re: Are the scriptures sufficuent?

Yes, the Scriptures are suffcient..
andy

2013/1/4 20:35Profile
a-servant

Re:

Yes, the Scriptures are suffcient. I like to quote someone that understands our time and 2 Timothy 4:3  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

-----
The Mystical model of Christianity in these last days of strong delusion and great apostasy has replaced the Biblical model. So-called ministers are idolized and even worshipped because they give spiritual experiences that are NOT OF GOD. Many who would claim to be Christians are NOT. Many so-called Christian ministers promote a mystical model of Christianity that is NOT OF GOD. The mystical model is based only upon two things, rather than the three things in historic Christianity. The mystical model has only the spirit and one's human spirit. Few today realize that the spirit transmitted is called the holy spirit by the Hindu and Buddhist as well as the Christian. The spirit in the mystical model of Christianity is NOT OF GOD.

The Biblical model of Christianity is based upon the Word of God, the Spirit of God, and the renewed regenerated mind of man. True faith says that I only accept and believe what is based upon God's written Word. The only Faith that is OF God is measured by its determination to DO what God said, just because God said so. There is really NO place for the Word of God in the Mystical Model of Christianity. IT IS NOT CHRISTIANITY, but rather the mystical model is Christian OCCULTISM.
-----

2013/1/4 21:30Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, ask the pharisees...jimp

2013/1/4 21:35Profile
MaryJane

by bearmaster on 2013/1/4 14:32:08

2 Timothy 3:16 - 17

All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness so that tbe man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Is this true? Are tbescriptures sufficient to instruct us in the ways of Christ? If they are not then why?

Bearmaster.

This is a difficult question and I am giving my answer tentatively although I may come back and add to my thoughts as the LORD shows me more on this topic. I plan to spend some time in study on this but my initial response to you is yes the Scripture is sufficient, "however" the Scripture itself(the words written) can not do anything with out the power of the HOLY SPIRIT working in a persons life. So yes the Scripture is sufficient to teach, admonish, encourage and train me in the ways that I should go to follow CHRIST but with out JESUS in my life, with out the working of the HOLY SPIRIT then they are only words on pages in a book. There is life to be found within the pages of GODS HOLY WORDS but only to those who seek HIM and HE gives understanding to. IF I were an unsaved person with no desire to know GOD then the BIBLE sadly would just be literature for me to read...This is my understanding as best as I can explain at this moment, the Scripture is the very WORDS of GOD given to us to point us to JESUS with the end result being a relationship daily living in submission unto KING JESUS as LORD of our lives. They are sufficient and useful as is said in the verse you shared but GOD has used other tools in the lives of believers as well. On many occasions GOD has used the words of other believers to encourage me, admonish me, and instruct me in the ways that I should go to follow CHRIST. GOD has also used events and things that happen in the world around me daily to teach me HIS ways...I believe HE is always using life experience, people, and events to point us to JESUS and help us grow in our walk with HIM. These things are not a replacement for the WORD and should never conflict with HIS HOLY WORD but they can be tools HE uses to grow us and help us walk closer with HIM.

This is my understanding :)

God bless
mj

2013/1/4 22:29Profile
proudpapa

Re: jimp

Hi Jimp

Brother Jimp wrote ///hi, ask the pharisees...jimp///

I will add to Jimps question and ask everyone,
according to scripture did the Pharisees believe their scriptures??

2013/1/4 22:58Profile
brothagary

Re:

it depends exactly what you mean by saying sufisfent ,and if the sufishentcy is kept in contex with scripture its self ,,,scripture also says that he has givern some to be apostals ,propherts evenglests pasters teachers for work of the ministery and the edafing of the body of christ ,,, scriture is sufishent along with teachers preachers, proherts , ectra

paul was telling the evenglist and paster timothey to use scripture, expound it ,explan it ,use it to rebuke and reprove ,,

he wasnt telling timothey to go tell all the christans they dont need teachers or propherts ects , to go and get your bible just read it and reject all athority and teachers becasue scriture is all you need

no he wasnt saying that

but it is sufishent in the way of not needing any other philoshys or theorys or science or self help councleing ,or what ever the lost world can come up with

it is sufishent alright

blessings

proudpappa i dont think the pharisees believed the scripture ,they never undertood it

2013/1/5 5:40Profile
savannah

Q. Are the scriptures sufficuent?

A. YES!

Yet,in saying so,I do not negate the necessity of the Spirit of God.

Also,if the Spirit of God has given men wisdom to draw out truth from the Scripture,I will gladly and humbly listen and search the Scriptures to see if what they say or write is so or no. And this with the help of His Spirit.

Then the Spirit said to Philip, "Approach and be joined to this chariot." So Philip having run up, heard him reading aloud the prophet Isaiah, and he said, "So do you understand what you are reading?" Then he said, "For how could I unless someone guides me?" And he invited Philip, having come up, to sit with him. Acts 8:29-31

He answered, "For how could I unless someone guides me?"

"Which shows that he was of an excellent spirit and temper; since instead of answering in a haughty and disdainful manner, as great men are too apt to do; and instead of charging Philip with, impertinence and insolence, in interrupting him whilst reading, and putting such a question to him, he expresses himself with great and uncommon modesty; with a sense and confession of his ignorance and incapacity and of the necessity and usefulness of the instructions of men, appointed of God to open and explain the Scriptures: and though he wanted such a guide, and could have been glad of one, yet he was willing to use all diligence himself in reading, that he, might, if possible, come at some knowledge of the truth; which was very commendable in him; and no doubt but the spirit he was in was much owing to his reading the word, and to the Spirit of God disposing his mind in this manner." - Gill

"He puts a fair question to him: Understandest thou what thou readest? Not by way of reproach, but with design to offer him his service. Note, What we read and hear of the word of God it highly concerns us to understand, especially what we read and hear concerning Christ; and therefore we should often ask ourselves whether we understand it or no: Have you understood all these things? Matt. 13:51. And have you understood them aright? We cannot profit by the scriptures unless we do in some measure understand them, 1 Cor. 14:16, 1 Cor. 14:17. And, blessed by God, what is necessary to salvation is easy to be understood." - Henry

"The eunuch in a sense of his need of assistance, desires Philip's company (Acts 8:31): “How can I understand, says he, except some one guide me? Therefore pray come up, and sit with me.” He speaks as one that had very low thoughts of himself, and his own capacity and attainments. He was so far from taking it as an affront to be asked whether he understood what he read, though Philip was a stranger, on foot, and probably looked mean (which many a less man would have done, and have called him an impertinent fellow, and bid him go about his business, what was it to him?) that he takes the question kindly, makes a very modest reply, How can I? We have reason to think he was an intelligent man, and as well acquainted with the meaning of scripture as most were, and yet he modestly confesses his weakness. Note, Those that would learn must see their need to be taught. The prophet must first own that he knows not what these are, and then the angel will tell him, Zech. 4:13. He speaks as one very desirous to be taught, to have some one to guide him. Observe, He read the scripture, though there were many things in it which he did not understand. Though there are many things in the scriptures which are dark and hard to be understood, nay, which are often misunderstood, yet we must not therefore throw them by, but study them for the sake of those things that are easy, which is the likeliest way to come by degrees to the understanding of those things that are difficult: for knowledge and grace grow gradually." - Henry

"Note, In order to our right understanding of the scripture, it is requisite we should have some one to guide us; some good books, and some good men, but, above all, the Spirit of grace, to lead us into all truth." - Henry

2013/1/5 7:04Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, very well composed. in business the greater the man ,the easier to talk to.in all things to do with Christ an christianity ,nothing happens until the Holy Spirit show up.You must be born from above.jimp tarry in jerusalem until...

2013/1/5 7:20Profile

Re:

Perhaps I should refine my question. Can a simple babe in Christ grow in tbe grace and knowledge of Jesus through reading and listening to tbe New Testament? Can a simple child of God do this without the need of commentaries or systematic theologies? Understanding tbeir dependence is on the Holy Spirit.

Bear.

2013/1/5 9:41

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy