SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are We Immortal...or not?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Are We Immortal...or not?

I believe that God alone is immortal, per I Tim. 6:16:

"13 I urge you in the sight of God who gives life to all things, and before Christ Jesus who witnessed the good confession before Pontius Pilate, 14 that you keep this commandment without spot, blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ’s appearing, 15 which He will manifest in His own time, He who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone has immortality, dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see, to whom be honor and everlasting power. Amen."

What do you all think?

TK

2012/12/26 15:54Profile
jimp

Re: Are We Immortal...or not?

hi, are you hid with Christ in God or not?

2012/12/27 4:02Profile

Re: Are We Immortal...or not?

what do i think?

i believe God.

2012/12/27 4:17
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Jimp wrote: "Are you hid with Christ in God, or not?"

Perhaps the better question is-- are we INNATELY immortal?

Hezwilling wrote:

"What do I think? I believe God."

That's fine, and obviously a wise position to take, but what do you believe the Bible says about this question?

2012/12/27 14:57Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

If He is immortal, we are immortal.

Colossians 1:21-22 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

I was alienated by my own wicked works.

I am reconciled by His Works, making me unblameable and unreporveable in His sight.

Paul is fulfilling the Word of God in Christ Jesus in us, this mystery which is now revealed to the Saints, The greatest miracle of all, being raised from being crucified on the Cross with Jesus, being made alive unto God=ward.

Colossians 1:25-29 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

I am not only hid with Christ in God, but manifest to the world His Work, the work of Jesus Christ in me which is mighty toward God in Christ JEsus.

I was dead and died with Christ and am now resurrected from the crucifixion and death as He is.

The Life I now live I live by the Faith of the Son of God in me. My justification is now in, through and by Him.

Galatians 2:16-21 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

But He is not dead, He is alive and been made unto us;;;His is our Glory, our only hope of Glory, "Christ in you the Hope of Glory". Col 1: 27

1 Corinthians 1:29-31 That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Christ in you and Christ in me, therefore we Love one another as He commanded us to love each other as He loved us and Gave Himself for us, that we might live unto God our Father.

IN Christ: Phillip

2012/12/28 3:50Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Hi TMK,

I guess the reason for the question is that the Scripture you quoted says God ALONE is immortal.

All humans have an immortal soul in the sense that it does not cease to exist. This we know by the bible teaching, i.e beleivers live in an eternal state with God and the lake of fire judgment goes on for ever for those who reject salvation.

However in our present position we have 'mortal' bodies that will die and we await our new 'immortal' bodies. So in this sense and seen as a whole we are mortal beings, compared with God who is immortal and has no mortality about him.

Another aspect that relates to immortality is that only God is 'eternal' in that He has always existed and there was never a time that He was not. We all have a beginning and so are not eternal.

2012/12/28 5:11Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Heydave wrote:

"All humans have an immortal soul in the sense that it does not cease to exist."

Please clarify-- on one hand you seem to agree with the original verse quoted that God alone is immortal, but then state that humans have an "immortal soul."

Personally, I believe the quoted verse precludes the idea of man having an "immortal soul." I am not saying that God cannot sustain a person's soul for eternity; the issue is whether man is CREATED with an immortal soul, or spirit, or whatever term you wish to use.

2012/12/28 11:01Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, god gives us zoe life when we have faith in Jesus.God gives eternal damnation at the judgemnt.jimp

2012/12/28 11:14Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

TMK wrote: "Please clarify-- on one hand you seem to agree with the original verse quoted that God alone is immortal, but then state that humans have an "immortal soul."

Sometimes when we read things in the bible that seem to contradict other truths we need to try and understand what it might be saying as God does not contradict in His word.
So what I am saying is that the word of God teaches that man has an immortal soul and spirit, but he does not have an immortal body and will therefore experience death. I would therefore conclude that this scripture is comparing God who is immortal with man in his 'earthly', mortal state.

It is looking at life from the earthly perspective of man, not his spiritual state. There are many other examples of this such as: The scripture says that a beleiver has already passed from death to life, but Paul also says that to die is gain. We obviously understand that these do not contradict because Paul is talking about the natural body dying, while Jesus was talking about spiritual life.

Hope this is clear.

2012/12/28 12:01Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hi Jimp--

you wrote:

"god gives us zoe life when we have faith in Jesus.God gives eternal damnation at the judgemnt."

So is it your belief, in the case of non-believers, that God grants them immortality (i.e., keeps them alive)in order to punish them for all eternity?

Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying.

Thanks!

2012/12/28 13:09Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy