SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Systematic Theology

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
EvangelTam

Systematic Theology

Hey Friends,

I have a few friends who are really into systematic theology. I started to look at a few as well and found it really edifying but also overwhelming

I know there are quite a few different ones out there (Wayne Grudem's is a popular one.) I wanted to ask about the differences between them all and see which would be best to take a look at.

thanks
Evangel

2012/12/25 0:59Profile
wombat1

Melbourne

Re: Systematic Theology

Hi Evangel,

It is great that you are looking at doing bible study. We are to show our selves approved by study. it is the word that washes us and the truth shall set us free.

I went to Harvest Bible College in Melboourne Australia and we used this as a text book. Recently on a Linkedin Christian site a systematic theology book was used to support a view that after you are saved, you then repent.

Hopefully you will understand both the error and the danger of this view. Systematic Theology and commentarys are good as support for your own study. If they are the key to understanding the word of God then there is no room for a rhema from the Holy spirit.

Listening to the still small voice and the gentle leadings of the Holy Spirit will give you a safer place to learn from. For example we see in page 309 a beautiful understanding of repentance in that it includes a rejection of sin in particular and sin in general that many omit.

However as a Pentecostal support it contains both the strengths and weaknesses of the Pentecostal worldview.

For example on 429 looking at when christ will return it is stated as "simply and evasion of the force of those passages to say that we cannot know the day or the hour but that we cna know the month and year". This shows the a short sighted view that includes the lack of understanding of the raptures or being caught up as there is more than one. In short this as you will hear often when confronted with something that requires study or a challenge from the denominations perspective.

The scripture says for a very good reason you will know the times and the season, this means the months and the years.

For example look at Syria, America, the public key based identity system that has been set up globaly but still to be fully implemented. This is from the world.

We could and should look at the word and the church at the end it is said that there will be a great falling away, some would say one third of all christians will fall away because iniquity shall abound

There are "teachers" who are being treated like rock stars and they are saying you dont need to repent to be saved. Sanctification is legalism. I wont go on but it appears most of the Pentecostals in Australia are following these new enlightened teachings.

Are we not to watch and pray? Are we not also advised that by doing so we will not be overtaken as a theif in the night? THat being so makes the understanding of the times and seasons imperative as ignorance will not cut the mustard.

I am not saying Waynes book is bad but all books have limitations and wrong teaching. The word of God does not. Use them together with the bible not the theology book as the reference point.

After 30 years of study I can say with at least my experience that the vast majority of theology books have a significant amount of academia and self interest in them.

Academia is does not prepare you to be a person of God it is an intellectual pursuit. This was told me by the dean of Harvest bible college from Perth. It is not to prepare someone to understand the word and to get and share the holy Spirit inspired or God breathed word. THis is what I was told.

Secondly many writers want to be recogninsed for saying something different. This desire to be noticed frequently ends in error and heresy. Not always but do not think that theology is all good far from it.

I hope this brings some light. My favourite commentators are FF Bruce and Lightfoot.

May God bless you as you study his word, the bareans were regarded as being more noble because they studied and held the preacher, Paul, accountable to the word of God.

A time is coming when there will be afamine of the hearing of the word of God, not of the word but of hearing. You very well may have a ministry to preach the word with clarity so that people do not turn away from it, in the church. The word says to wait on God for your ministry I think if you do then it will quickly become self evedient.

If I am wrong as I have been in the past please stop to tell me as we are all to be as I understand it mutually submissive and to hear correction from any person not just as some say from someone of the same office or church "owner" or the same five fold ministry.

God Bless Oskar

2012/12/25 6:59Profile
savannah

I do not think you will find that any of your friends have this one. If you get it and read it you will probably want to recommend it to them. May God bless you abundantly!

G. H. Kersten's Reformed Dogmatics: A Systematic Treatment of Reformed Doctrine

Of the 98 publications that came from his pen, Reformed Dogmatics is clearly the most important and definitive work that Rev. Kersten produced with the help of the Lord. It is the outgrowth of his lectures to his theological students which he labored zealously to finish in final form the last years prior to his death...Reformed Dogmatics clearly reveals the ability which God has granted him to explain and defend the true doctrines of God's Word simply and powerfully, which truth shall yield fruits of godliness under the blessing of the Holy Spirit. It is our hearty wish and prayer that this sound work on all the major doctrines of God's Word may be blessed to many souls also in our own language, to the firm establishing of the truth in our midst, and to the up building of His church to the honor and glory of the Triune God's thrice-holy Name. – From the Translator’s Preface

http://www.heritagebooks.org/products/Reformed-Dogmatics%2C-2-Volumes.html

2012/12/25 7:35Profile
rnieman

Hi EvangelTam,

My favorite is Thomas C. Oden's Systematic Theology, it's very unique in that it pulls much of it's content from pre and post nicene, reformers, and beyond on the various subjects.

http://www.christianbook.com/systematic-theology-3-volumes/thomas-oden/9781598560367/pd/560360

God bless,

Russ

2012/12/25 11:42Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

This one is my personal recommendation:

Chafer's Systematic Theology in 4 Volumes by Lewis Sperry Chafer

http://www.christianbook.com/chafers-systematic-theology-4-volumes/lewis-chafer/9780825423406/pd/2345?

2012/12/25 11:43Profile
EvangelTam

Thanks for the replies! For those who recommended a book would you please explain why you recommend it over others?

Also I agree that systematic theology in general many times have bias that one should be aware. I find that there are a lot of academic things in there, however I find that there is also good thoughts and content that can help edify the believer if they are hearing from the Holy Spirit. The mind is the gateway way for things to be taken in the spirit and heart.

2012/12/25 14:44Profile
Josef83

Sweden

Systematic theology is awesome and something every beliver should read.
I cant understand all theese people warning bout theology.
Eternal life is to know God and what better and more glorifying way is there expect prayer to get to know God than to study Theology? Theology is basiclly the teachings about God.

Surely there are somebad systematic theology like the one of Charles Finney that denies alot of christian doctrines such as justification by faith alone.

But there are also some great systemtic theology books out there.
The one with Grudem is very good even though I personally dont agree on everything stated in there.
But that book gave me a good solid christian foundation.

THe good thing with Grudems systematic theology is that he is stating different views than his own and their bible verses and arguments.

I changed views on many things after reading his systematic theology.

2012/12/26 2:38Profile

Re:

Brothers the Apostle Peter exhorts us to crave tbe pure spiritual milk. Tbe pure milk of God's word itself. You have the Holy Spirit to teach you what his word says. Why exalt in tbe opinions of men about the truth of Christ ,when you can go to Jesus himself and he teach you.

I am reminded of a quote by Bunyon, only a simple nan of faith. Bunyon said "Pray and read (the Bibke) and read and pray. For a little from God is better than a whole lot from men."

Bearmaster.

2012/12/26 9:00
proudpapa

bearmaster wrote /// You have the Holy Spirit to teach you what his word says///

Amen!!
"1 john ch 2 v 20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things"

1 john ch 2 v 26 "These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

Systematic theolgy systematicaly uses selective blindness to many scriptures to make its point.
The foundation of most systematic theolgy with the exception of Finney and perhaps a few others is the Augustinian catholic tradition thus the objective is already concluded before the study began.

Jesus said to the religious Jews of his day and in reality speaks to us today you have made the word of God of none effect through your tradition.

The Scripture is so Dimensional that to Systematicaly bind it, is a great mistake.

2012/12/26 13:36Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Systematic theology is awesome and something every beliver should read.
I cant understand all theese people warning bout theology.
Eternal life is to know God and what better and more glorifying way is there expect prayer to get to know God than to study Theology? Theology is basiclly the teachings about God.

Hebrews 8:11:-“And they shall not teach everyone his fellow citizen,
And everyone his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’
For all will know Me,

If Eternal life is to Know God then we have the access to it through Jesus Christ who pours out his holy Spirit into us abundantly. We do not need to read any man made theology to know God. This is why I am not interested in Bible schools. Also the problem with all these theologies is they make eternal life as a Theory. But Jesus demonstrated Eternal life (1 John 1:3) to us, which means it is a practical life and not a theory. That is I can live this eternal life and show it to people like Jesus did.

The word 'Know' is the same word that was used in Genesis, Adam knew Eve and Eve conceived (Genesis 4:1). It is to have an internal fellowship with God and know him intimately. Not just having a head knowledge about him.

2012/12/26 14:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy