SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Sectarianism Rules!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Sectarianism Rules!

Sectarianism Rules!

Sadly and too often it seems to be the common thing among Christians to build and maintain a sectarian barrier between ourselves; one group or denomination separating from the others and keeping them at arm’s length. This has been my experience over many years and it is a grief to me. I’ve seen it with all groups, be they Baptist, Pentecostal, Independent, Reformed, Anabaptist or anything else.

I’m talking about true born again Christians, who uphold the authority of scripture, not ecumenicalism with those who do not consider the bible to be God’s infallible word.
Why is it that too often these groups only want to recognise and endorse those who are part of their same sect? Sure they may accept another to be a brother, but not really receive him unless he signs up to all the views their particular group is defined by. Is it insecurity that prevents them from allowing different opinions on certain subjects to be in their group? I’m not talking here about the deity of Christ or salvation by grace, but too often it is the smaller things like pre-millennialism , gifts of the Spirit, pre-destination or free will.

However there is always a small number within these church groups (or outside) who do recognise the blood bought, Spirit born sons of God and enjoy fellowship with all these as members of the household of God, despite the artificial barriers that have been erected. Some servants of God such as AW Tozer managed to cross the sectarian divide and be accepted by a wide variety of groups. He refused to labelled and corralled into one pen!

I have always refused to be called a Baptist, Pentecostal, Calvinist, Anabaptist, Charismatic, or any other name but Christ. I’m a Christian (period). I’m might qualify that if need be by saying I’m a bible believing Christian or a Christian who believes that the Bible is God’s word. A name does not convey truth, but what we teach and how we live will demonstrate to the world where we stand with Christ.

“For when one says, "I am of Paul," and another, "I [am] of Apollos," are you not carnal? Who then is Paul, and who [is] Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one? “ (1Corinthians 3:4-5).

In the light of this scripture it staggers me that any Christian can say ‘I’m a Calvinist’ or ‘I’m a Mennonite’ or ‘Lutheran’. But equally even if we do not use the name of a ‘man’ it is still as wrong to define ourselves by a name that defines a particular doctrinal emphasis.

2012/11/2 12:08Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Sectarianism Rules!

Well Wow!! I just had this conversation with my husband yesterday. I was brought up in a "non-denominatioal" church that didn't believe in any church written memberships, for the very reasons that you just stated. If you showed up you were a part. It recognised that to put a title over it caused there to be a mind-set that said I am not a part of the whole. We were taught we were all one body, one loaf, and members one of another. That is not a license to embrace error. Just an open door to recognise we are all brothers and sisters and members of one body, Jesus being the head. Some people who don't like Watchman Nee will probably scream about this, oh well, but he was part of a denomination, but then saw the division in it all and withdrew his membership. I agree with him on this, and you.

I went to that fellowship which was about 1500 people for 19 years and then moved to another state. I have always refuse to "join" a church in writing because of my background teaching. The fellowhship I am at now decided to start a membership, I had to tell the pastor I could not sign it, and the reasons why. Although I still go there, and they still have a written membership, I cannot put my signature to division in something that is to be undivided. Just my conviction, and yours too it would seem. It gives me the freedom to call everybody part of my life as a christian. However the disclaimer for me is I don't call those who don't call Jesus Lord as part of the body. The common factor is the head, the Lord Jesus Christ Savior of all that are saved. If you are His we have fellowship one with another.

Thanks for sharing this. I am sure you will get a lot of flack about it, but it is true if you read the verses you have quoted In 1 Corintians 3.

2012/11/2 12:33Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
However there is always a small number within these church groups (or outside) who do recognise the blood bought, Spirit born sons of God and enjoy fellowship with all these as members of the household of God, despite the artificial barriers that have been erected. Some servants of God such as AW Tozer managed to cross the sectarian divide and be accepted by a wide variety of groups. He refused to labelled and corralled into one pen!

I have always refused to be called a Baptist, Pentecostal, Calvinist, Anabaptist, Charismatic, or any other name but Christ. I’m a Christian (period). I’m might qualify that if need be by saying I’m a bible believing Christian or a Christian who believes that the Bible is God’s word. A name does not convey truth, but what we teach and how we live will demonstrate to the world where we stand with Christ.

“For when one says, "I am of Paul," and another, "I [am] of Apollos," are you not carnal? Who then is Paul, and who [is] Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one? “ (1Corinthians 3:4-5).

In the light of this scripture it staggers me that any Christian can say ‘I’m a Calvinist’ or ‘I’m a Mennonite’ or ‘Lutheran’. But equally even if we do not use the name of a ‘man’ it is still as wrong to define ourselves by a name that defines a particular doctrinal emphasis.

Excellent post and thoughts dear brother.

2012/11/2 13:00Profile

Re: Sectarianism Rules!

preach it! make it plain! amen!

2012/11/2 16:27
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

I have often visited different churches or groups for various reasons and been happy to have fellowship with brothers and sisers in Christ, but there are always those (often in some sort of leadership role) who make it clear that they think you should be joining their church, as if that is the only place that has the truth. They can't seem to comprehend that God maybe working in other places that are not connected to their stream!

One of the main problems of hedging ones self into a particular group or denomination is that it becomes very difficult to receive correction and enlightenment from the LORD about any particular view that may be wrong. You just cannot be open to it because it would mean going against the view of the group you have bought into. Also all you hear is the same view re-inforced all the time.

2012/11/2 19:33Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

I have found you will never be with any fellowship that you agree with everything that is spoken, but we can still have fellowship in the body. We need to stay connected to other believers even if we don't agree with everything, we also need to be prayerfully open, because sometimes we might be the one that is wrong.

2012/11/2 23:40Profile

Re:

Amen bro Dave. These walls that have been erected are an abomination to God and would be unrecognizable to Paul and the early saints. Go to the underground church in China and see if they have denominations, and there could be as many as 120 million of them. God will and is raising up His Royal Priesthood, this brotherhood, these stones that are rightly shaped and fitted together to become one temple. You can call them the remnant, you can call them the pilgrim church, you can call them anything you like but one things for sure, they recognize each other when they meet one another. Jesus has the pre-emminance in their lives. They are passionate about their Lord. They are not entangled with the world. They have an eternal filter by which everything passes through. They know they are pilgrims and sojourners who are merely passing through and that they are ambassadors for a kingdom that is and is to come. Unity, unity under truth and the bond of fellowship and the power of His love and His Spirit. There is no mistaking it when the saints gather together.........bro Frank

2012/11/3 0:34

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy