SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Prayer time.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Al_KJ

Prayer time.

Alright, this is my first post and it's more of a question to an observation I've made.
I have a lot of Christian friends and every now and then we'll pray together. When I pray with other people it always seems like they're having this huge "thing" going on inside of them and that they could keep going forever, standing in this circle, holding hands and talking to God.
I don't feel that, not often anyway. So I'm constantly wondering if I'm "missing something" that everyone else seems to get.
I've even prayed for God to teach me how to pray and how to get the most out of my relationship with Him, yet I still can't figure it out.
So my question is, how do others (you people reading this) keep that spiritual fire burning and get the most of your relationship with God?
Thank you all to anyone who reads or responds to this, God bless

2005/2/27 13:31Profile
AgesofWar

Chicago IL USA

Re: Prayer time.

Howdy Brother.

Well I think we all have that issue.

When I first sought after GOD I would pray alone in my room and at first I was always feeling the Holy Spirit burn in me.

Then as the Cares of this world would drip into my mind I noticed it becoming hard for me to feel GOD.

Later than that I noticed I would start yawning and I would feel guilty and I started to apologize to GOD.

Later than that I would not pray if I was tired.
Later than that I would say quick prayers so as not to feel bored.
And after that I stopped Praying.
And after that I stopped being a Christian.

That was when I was 19 I’m gonna be 30 in march.

I have learned something about Prayer In General, and that is you must pray even if it hurts.

Like anything in life Prayer is a Choice.
And it takes a determined mind to really pray.

Just recently I fasted for the First Time, When my Uncle was dieing.

Then for the Second time because I really wanted to spend the weekend calling out to the Lord, every time I felt the Hunger I would call out to Jesus with my soul.

Then this past Week I fasted for the third time in my Life, to keep in mind and soul the things of GOD.

I said all that to say this.
Prayer takes effort,time,and Patience.

Call a day of Fasting
Call a day of Prayer

Repent, Seek, and for sure you will find.

PS. as for praying in a circle... I have not had the Joy of spending time with Christian Friends,
Brother You have no Idea how blessed you are to have some Friends who would be willing to Pray with you. I say that Cuz I have not been blessed in that way as of yet and I do long for such a season in my own life.... I am Jealous and I say that with a tear in my eyes.

God bless Brother

2005/2/27 14:08Profile
Spitfire

Hello AL. You said,

Quote:
When I pray with other people it always seems like they're having this huge "thing" going on inside of them and that they could keep going forever, standing in this circle, holding hands and talking to God.

Quote:
I don't feel that, not often anyway. So I'm constantly wondering if I'm "missing something" that everyone else seems to get.

I used to feel this exact same way at times. I agree with Ages on this one. It sounds like, and please do not be offended, that you haven't spent enough time in prayer alone with God to think like he thinks. I realize I don't know you and I'm making an assumption here, but it is an assumption based on my own personal experience. I didn't know how to pray because I wasn't willing to spend the time and effort to do it. And also, I didn't pray because I had alot of doubt and unbelief. I really think the doubt and unbelief had to be dealt with in my heart before I could pray. You can't talk with someone on an intimate level if you don't have confidence in their character.

2005/2/27 18:11Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Hi Al,

Welcome to SI!
Think if you hang around here you will likely find much help in this area, just from exposure :-)

But more specifically, here is a earlier post and note the links within. One of the books that changed I how I looked at prayer in general was "Practicing The Prescience of God" by Brother Lawrence, there is a link to an online copy and it's a really short read.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3944&forum=40#26494]Prayers of Revialists, help[/url]

Anything by
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=category&cid=45]E.M. Bounds[/url]

Depending on your disposition would just suggest gleaning from many areas. There is no 'right' way of doing things in this regard, though we have the principles behind "the Lord's Prayer". A difficult at times but blessed thing is to just be still before the Lord, silent and quiet, it is a two way communication after all.

There is only one way to get to know the Lord, just like anyone else, time spent with Him as well as those He loves and love Him. Your desires and 'fire' will be dependent on that.

Here's a primer for you from A.W. Tozer's Ordination, though it pertains to his role in ministry, the thoughts behind it are truly rich:

[u]Ordination covenant[/u]

Tozer did not take his ordination lightly. Afterwards he found a place of solitude on the old campground and there poured our his heart to God in reflection and prayer. The covenant he made before God on that occasion he later formalized and published in one of the first issues of Alliance Life he edited:

[i]O Lord, I have heard Thy voice and was afraid. Thou hast called me to an awesome task in a grave and perilous hour. Thou art about to shake all nations and the earth and also heaven, that the things that cannot be shaken may remain.

O Lord, my Lord, Thou hast stooped to honor me to be Thy servant. No man taketh this honor upon himself save he who is called of God, as was Aaron. Thou hast ordained me Thy messenger to them that are stubborn of heart and hard of hearing. They have rejected Thee, the Master, and it is not to be expected that they will receive me, the servant.

My God, I shall not waste time deploring my weakness or my unfitness for this work. The responsibility is not mine, but Thine. Thou hast said, “I knew thee—I ordained thee—I sanctified thee,” and Thou hast also said, “Thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.” Who am I to argue with Thee or to call into question Thy sovereign choice? The decision is not mine but Thine. So be it, Lord. Thy will, not mine, be done.

Well do I know, Thou God of the prophets and the apostles, that as long as I honor Thee Thou wilt honor me. Help me therefore to take this solemn vow to honor Thee all my future life and labors, whether by gain or by loss, by life or by death, and then to keep that vow unbroken while I live.

It is time, O God, for Thee to work, for the enemy has entered into Thy pastures and the sheep are torn and scattered. And false shepherds abound who deny the danger and laugh at the perils that surround Thy flock. The sheep are deceived by these hirelings and follow them with touching loyalty while the wolf closes in to kill and destroy. I beseech Thee, give me sharp eyes to detect the presence of the enemy; give me understanding to see and courage to report what I see faithfully. Make my voice so like Thine own that even the sick sheep will recognize it and follow Thee.

Lord Jesus, I come to Thee for spiritual preparation. Lay Thy hand upon me. Anoint me with the oil of the New Testament prophet. Forbid that I should become a religious scribe and thus lose my prophetic calling. Save me from the curse that lies dark across the face of the modern clergy, the curse of compromise, of imitation, of professionalism. Save me from the error of judging a church by its size, its popularity or the amount of its yearly offerings. Help me to remember that I am a prophet—not a promoter, not a religious manager, but a prophet.
Let me never become a slave to crowds. Heal my soul of carnal ambitions and deliver me from the itch for publicity. Save me from bondage to things. Let me not waste my days puttering around the house. Lay Thy terror upon me, O God, and drive me to the place of prayer where I may wrestle with principalities and powers and the rulers of the darkness of this world. Deliver me from over-eating and late sleeping. Teach me self-discipline that I may be a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

I accept hard work and small rewards in this life. I ask for no easy place. I shall try to be blind to the little ways that could make my life easier. If others seek the smoother path, I shall try to take the hard way without judging them too harshly. I shall expect opposition and try to take It quietly when it comes. Or if, as sometimes it falleth out to Thy servants, I should have grateful gifts pressed upon me by Thy kindly people, stand by me then and save me from the blight that often follows. Teach me to use whatever I receive in such manner that it will not injure my soul or diminish my spiritual power.

If in Thy permissive providence honor should come to me from Thy church, let me not forget in that hour that I am unworthy of the least of Thy mercies, and that if men knew me as intimately as I know myself they would withhold their honors or bestow them upon others more worthy to receive them.

And now, O Lord of heaven and earth, I consecrate my remaining days to Thee; let them be many or few, as Thou wilt. Let me stand before the great or minister to the poor and lowly; that choice is not mine, and I would not influence it if I could. I am Thy servant to do Thy will, and that will is sweeter to me than position or riches or fame. I choose it above all things on earth or in heaven.

Although I am chosen of Thee and honored by a high and holy calling, let me never forget that I am but a man of dust and ashes, a man with all the natural faults and passions that plague the race of men. I pray Thee, therefore, my Lord and Redeemer, save me from myself and from all the injuries I may do myself while trying to be a blessing to others. Fill me with Thy power by the Holy Spirit, and I will go in Thy strength and tell of Thy righteousness, even Thine only. I will spread abroad the message of redeeming love while my normal powers endure.
Then, dear Lord, when I am old and weary and too tired to go on, have a place ready for me above, and make me to be numbered with Thy saints in glory everlasting.
Amen[/i]

2005/2/27 19:12Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Welcome Al! Praise the Lord for your desire to seek the Lord in prayer, when you search for Him with all your heart, you will find Him.

Here is a couple of links to resources here on SI. The first is a link to an Andrew Murray article and the second is a link to the Hans Peter Royer download page, there you will find 4 messages with the title 'Maintain the Connection", they will be helpful;

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3777&forum=40#25260]With Christ in the School of Prayer[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?op=&cid=45]Hans Peter Royer-Maintain the Connection[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2005/2/27 19:37Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Hans Peter Royer

:-P Hey Ron,

Might we say praying minds begin to think alike?
Have those same messages linked in the other post
mentioned here...

Well there's two mention's of the same for you Al, hope you get to hear them!

2005/2/27 19:44Profile
Will

Auckland, New Zealand

Quote:
When I pray with other people it always seems like they're having this huge "thing" going on inside of them and that they could keep going forever, standing in this circle, holding hands and talking to God.

Don't worry about feeling something, this is not the point of praying. We pray to God, not to or for ourselves.
So I encourage you just to pray. :-)

2005/2/27 23:41Profile
smichael

it is your viewpoint that is holding you back. When you see your friends and go to speak to them do you think, "I want to get the most out of this as I can." Prayer is a time when a Christian can come to God to visit, share, love Him. I would suggest tell Him how you feel about Him, then what's going on in your life, like you would your friend or parent, finally, ask Him for wisdom on life and for things you need. Sometimes just visit Him to love Him.

We forget we minister to God. minister=serve. Sometimes just go before Him and ask Him, "Lord, what do you want from my heart right now? What would please you?"

It is not about you getting the most from it. Like any good relationship it's about you giving the most of yourself (heart) to Him.

2005/2/28 2:36Profile
Al_KJ

Thanks, everyone for your responses, I don't have time right now to look at the links you've given me but I will try my best to get around to that as soon as I can.
I'm just confused cause I have friends telling me about how when they pray alone in their rooms sometimes they'll start dancing and not eb able to sotp or sometimes even just fall over and all this stuff. It just seems weird to me that these people who seem to be on the "same level" (for lack of a better term) as me and yet I still feel as if I'm missing out.. I dont' get it. But I will take what you have all said into consideration, thank you all, God bless,

Al

2005/2/28 18:50Profile
dohzman

Re: 2 Suggestions

Here are 2 pcs. of advice I believe are on target. 1) a favorite book of mine is by Brother Lawerence , "Practicing the Presence of God" , that'll help lots. 2)Jn 7: 16-17 what an exciting thing!To know that God himself will validate His Word as we do it!

2005/2/28 21:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy